Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
It's about GENDER, not lifestyle or one's status in this country. It's about violence against women - all women. I guess you think someone who is gay or illegal in this country that is raped or repeatedly beaten actually deserved it.

Keep up the good work sucking the life out of your party.
So violence against men is OK? Because that is what you seem to be implying - that only women deserve protection.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:28 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
FFS, another one who doesn't know what the Act covers. I've already posted the link twice. Go find it, put your cursor over it, then click. Go read it, get some knowledge, and they speak.
I read it, and it does nothing more than pander to certain political groups and funnel money to pet projects. I bet if we dig a little deeper, those "programs" will benefit Dem donors.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:32 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
From the Wiki link:

The Violence Against Women Act was developed and passed as a result of extensive grassroots efforts in the late 80's and early 1990s, with advocates and professionals from the battered women's movement, sexual assault advocates, victim services field, law enforcement agencies, prosecutors' offices, the courts, and the private bar urging Congress to adopt significant legislation to address domestic and sexual violence. Since its original passage in 1994, VAWA's focus has expanded from domestic violence and sexual assault to also include dating violence and stalking. It funds services to protect adult and teen victims of these crimes, and supports training on these issues, to ensure consistent responses across the country. One of the greatest successes of VAWA is its emphasis on a coordinated community response to domestic violence, sex dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking; courts, law enforcement, prosecutors, victim services, and the private bar currently work together in a coordinated effort that had not heretofore existed on the state and local levels. VAWA also supports the work of community-based organizations that are engaged in work to end domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking, particularly those groups that provide culturally and linguistically specific services. Additionally, VAWA provides specific support for work with tribes and tribal organizations to end domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking against Indian women.

The GOP didn't like the fact it was extended to include gays and non-citizens.

I see nothing wrong with the legislation, they should make it permanent.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:33 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Well, of course. Treating a woman like a human being is against their morals.
Eight years of Clinton, four years of Obama, and it was not against the law to commit violence against women?

Not one state legislature bothered to protect women? Shameful, just shameful.

Well, I hope those politicians in Washington get busy and pass the federal "Violence Against Babies Act."

Oooops, not to forget the federal "Violence Against People In Wheelchairs Act," the "Violence Against Amputees Act," "Violence Against Toddlers Act," "Violence Against Blind People Act," "Violence Against Comatose People Act," and then of course, the acts for various shades of brown for all the above too.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
No, I don't believe an illegal alien deserves special treatment with regard to immigration status based on gender. If someone were guilty of tax evasion or identity theft (which are additional crimes committed by illegals regularly) should they get a free pass on their crimes if they were abused? That's a nice spin though.
You know that I'm anti-illegal. I resent that this administration has been soft of them and has treated them as a special interest group, putting their needs above the needs of Americans. But I certainly don't think that a person, regardless of their status, deserves to be raped or beaten and not treated because they are illegally in this country. They are not getting "special treatment" when it comes to being a victim of violence. How can you equate tax evasion or identity theft to physical abuse and rape??

A word of advice: stay off the Illegal Forum. It can pull you in and bring out an ugly in you that you didn't know you possessed or an ugly that is against who you really are as a person.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So violence against men is OK? Because that is what you seem to be implying - that only women deserve protection.
Are you following the posts or just humping in where it's convenient?

85% of domestic violence is against women. 15% would be against men. If men came forward the numbers would shift. But there seems to be a sense of shame and a stigma attached to men admitting that they are victims of violence. Pretty much how it was decades ago for women.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I read it, and it does nothing more than pander to certain political groups and funnel money to pet projects. I bet if we dig a little deeper, those "programs" will benefit Dem donors.
Of course they are.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The hard right teabaggers/GOP thugs.

All 22 senators that voted against the violence against women act are male, and hard to the right with notable people including Marco "water gate" Rubio, Rand Paul, and Mitch McConnell.

Coming off the the GOP's spanking in 2012 with their epically failed "war on women", you would think these people would have gotten the clue,...apparently not,....

[URL="http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/12/rubio-one-of-22-male-gop-senators-to-vote-against-violence-against-women-act/"]Rubio one of 22 male GOP senators to vote against Violence Against Women Act | The Raw Story[/URL]
How sexist and anti-women is it to have a law against violence against just them. OMG, if you want to be treated as an equal, you have to act the role as well. and having special legislation to protect you, and you alone, isn't it.

It is time we stoped playing race-cards and sex-cards and then attacking those who refuse to play along.

How about a "Violence Against People" Act?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:09 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
How sexist and anti-women is it to have a law against violence against just them. OMG, if you want to be treated as an equal, you have to act the role as well. and having special legislation to protect you, and you alone, isn't it.

It is time we stoped playing race-cards and sex-cards and then attacking those who refuse to play along.

How about a "Violence Against People" Act?
Women aren't equal to men! That is why we need this law. That's why bills that would provide punishment for false accusations and equal protection are killed.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
VAWA should be permanent, not something voted on every 5 years for reauthorization.

No woman, no matter her status in this country, should be subjected to violence without the protection of law. I have to wonder if those that voted against this Act actually know what it is about and what it provides.

Those foolish republicans. I wish they would just dismantle their party, rather than continue this long drawn out process of party suicide. They should just take their money and go away and not be allowed near politics for the rest of their lives, which for most, it doesn't look like there's much life left since many look like they have one foot in the grave.
I could be wrong, but nobody is subjected to violence without protection of the law. it is as illegal for me to go hit a man, as it is for me to hit a woman. Why should something that is illegal be more illegal to one person than another. That creates a protected class, and is in fact by it's own definition, both sexist AND discriminatory.

Now, I don't have ANY problems with some judge or jury penalizing some loser who found it a good idea to hit a woman, quit frankly, any man who beats a women, should be tossed in a cell with Mr Ben Dover, and forgotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies