Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I could be considered a Northeast liberal, although here in the N.E. I am not exactly in the mainstream of thought.
It steamed me when I saw a pundit on MSNBC say that one cannot support a family on minimum wage. No shi-t, Sherlock. When I was making minimum wage in my first job at 16, $1.60/hr., I am quite sure no one working full-time with a family at that wage was supporting said family on it. I gather it was meant strictly so people wouldn't bid a job down to "will work for food."
As for the occasional liberal statement that low-paid workers cannot afford to buy products, well, business doesn't exist that way. If they can't afford the products, they won't buy them. Henry Ford's supposed plan to pay enough for his workers to buy the cars isn't the only business model available. If people cannot afford to buy things, they won't. The prices will either fall, or production will be cut, or only people who can afford the original prices will buy the products. Seems pretty simple. No one sets their wage scale by whether or not that worker can buy the product. Not on a global scale.

PRICING is very important to business, and something I find intriguing and fascinating.

Profits generally are maximized at a price point which ensures some people won't (can't) buy your product.

Let's say you have 100 apartments available. If every apartment is rented - zero vacancy - your profit will be maximized at some higher rent level, even when some of your tenants are priced out and move.

Similarly, if you sell widgets, if everybody can afford your product, there is some higher price which maximizes your profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What specific housing regulations are excessive/unnecessary? I kinda like fire codes; construction standards, like hurricane strength; electrical codes, etc. -- and I think they do very much good.

My favorite is "maximum occupancy two unrelated persons" - a family of six is fine, but three unrelated is evil? Five siblings sharing a house is fine, but three uinrelated is wrong?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Just some crappy liberal arts major. I had a minor in comp sci but employers weren't impressed; they wanted comp sci majors.
meanwhile..you say you are in your 50's....meanign in the mid 70s' and early 80's ..when GM was hiring anyone with a heartbeat...why didnt you get a job..there in mo'town

chevy was paying $10 for kids off the street back then...anybody who could set points and hook up a timing light was hired

sorry pal, but your lack of trying shows

Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
My favorite is "maximum occupancy two unrelated persons" - a family of six is fine, but three unrelated is evil? Five siblings sharing a house is fine, but three uinrelated is wrong?
Don't obey the law. I'm pretty sure I break the law daily.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
sorry, but I call shenanagins

my first job was for White Castle...they gave annual reviews...that's how people move up

pergament, channels, rickles (all former home improvement stores) , lowes, and home depot...all give annual reviews

every car dealership, maintenance shop, I've worked in all gave annual performance counselling

did stock work(picking/packing) for a transmission supply parts place...the gave performance reviews too

Move up to WHAT? Manager and assistant manager were in place, and no intermediate positions into which somneone could move up. (e.g. we didn't have 'shift leaders' or anything like that)

Old 02-19-2013, 10:29 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Move up to WHAT? Manager and assistant manager were in place, and no intermediate positions into which somneone could move up. (e.g. we didn't have 'shift leaders' or anything like that)
everything is an excuse with you, isnt it????

Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Don't obey the law. I'm pretty sure I break the law daily.

Problem is, some of the neighborhood homeowners took it upon themselves to keep an eye on their neighbors' homes to look for and report such code violations. These homeowners had an incentive to engage in rent-seeking and took full advantage of it.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times
I think the standard answer here is 'start your own business'

or perhaps if you 'smile enough to the boss you will become manager one day'

absurd I know, but it's classic right wing speech, lol

Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Problem is, some of the neighborhood homeowners took it upon themselves to keep an eye on their neighbors' homes to look for and report such code violations. These homeowners had an incentive to engage in rent-seeking and took full advantage of it.
I still wouldn't have obeyed. How would anyone know the relation of the roommates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I think the standard answer here is 'start your own business'

or perhaps if you 'smile enough to the boss you will become manager one day'

absurd I know, but it's classic right wing speech, lol
I didn't get that message at all. The message I got was "take the initiative and don't complain that somebody else took a risk you didn't". Sometimes your risks pay off and sometimes they don't.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times
in fact the whole rightist view to this issue is just so utterly obtuse and disingenuous, that it is sometimes beyond belief.

The whole raison d'etre of the right wingers is to maintain the social heirarchy, with them and their offspring, of course, at the top.

Too many people get degrees - solution: allow mass immigration, offshoring, outsourcing.

Wages go up - solution: increase rents, restrict housing rights, increase taxes, increase cost of goods (the profits of which all flow back up).

Get more skills? - so what happens when we all get better skills?

It's a never ending circle of the dog chasing his own tail.

The circle will only be broken when we achieve fundamental change in the whole system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies