Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Me either, especially the part about people advising them to have children so that they too can recieve publica aid.

I don't know if this is sarcasm or not. However it is truth. And it was multiple people. When we were struggling when I was laid off at least four or five different people told me I needed to have more children because then I would qualify for assistance. It was said in a "duh, that's just common sense" kind of manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 03:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I don't believe you and think you are lying.
Then you're too sheltered. The abuse is happening and it's multi-generational.

How's about the 18 year old who comes to school bragging that his girlfriend finally is old enough to get welfare and Section 8 so he can move out now with her and his 2 year old son ?
Are they getting married you ask ? Why no because she'd lose all that "free money".
He is part of a dysfunctional family of 7 kids spaced a year apart. From the looks of things only 1 is going to escape.

Until you get involved and see and talk to people everyday you really have no idea of their mindset.
The ones who do what they can to game the system brag about it. What do they have to fear ? Nothing, absolutely nothing.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:00 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I don't know if this is sarcasm or not. However it is truth. And it was multiple people. When we were struggling when I was laid off at least four or five different people told me I needed to have more children because then I would qualify for assistance. It was said in a "duh, that's just common sense" kind of manner.
If you say so, buy I have known people on public assistance as well and none of them promoted it or wanted to make it a lifetime thing. You only need to have one child to qualify for assistance. Some people get it with none. I still don't know anyone who was buying steak and lobster, driving luxury vehicles and wearing expensive clothing. For most poor people, day to day life is a struggle.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:05 PM

Neither do I know any with luxury vehicles and expensive clothing. And yes it is a struggle, but for some, I would dare so most, a struggle of their making. My first job was working with teens from low income families in a job placement program. One girl was placed at a job where they loved her and told her they would hire her full time when the job placement program was over in September. In July she turned 18, received SSI or something along those lines, and quit her job. I, being young and idealistic, figured she just didn't understand they were going to hire her and drove out to her house to talk to her. She told me she knew their plans but she didn't have to work now that she was getting her SSI.

Not sure how it all works, something about a parent's benefits. I don't understand the whole system, I just was shocked that someone had way out of the cycle but not the desire to take it.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:06 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Then you're too sheltered. The abuse is happening and it's multi-generational.

How's about the 18 year old who comes to school bragging that his girlfriend finally is old enough to get welfare and Section 8 so he can move out now with her and his 2 year old son ?
Are they getting married you ask ? Why no because she'd lose all that "free money".
He is part of a dysfunctional family of 7 kids spaced a year apart. From the looks of things only 1 is going to escape.

Until you get involved and see and talk to people everyday you really have no idea of their mindset.
The ones who do what they can to game the system brag about it. What do they have to fear ? Nothing, absolutely nothing.
Wow. All the right wingers in this thread live in very poor neighborhoods. I can tell because they know SO MANY welfare and food stamp recipients. But there's something I don't understand. I've gone to other threads (particularly the ones on finance) and when I see the same right wingers there, they're talking about how wealthy they all are. I'm so confused! Is it true that right wing millionaires live in very poor neighborhoods?

Old 02-15-2013, 04:14 PM

No, its true that there is not a large gap between middle class and poverty and some of us live on the cusp.

Also, when you live in a rural area there are no slums or poor neighborhoods, we all live on the same couple of streets. My town has two blocks, the "big block" and the "little block". We have no traffic light. We all drive 8 miles to shop at the nearest grocery store, so yes you know many of the patrons for whom you are bagging. When I walk into the local pizza place, also in the same town as the grocery story, I am confident I will know at least one or two other patrons.

So perhaps these details help clear up the confusion.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:18 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I think I see where you are going wrong. To survive on just $0.60 per meal one simply must do a lot of cooking. You are laboring under the false delusion that some how a person living on $0.60 per meal is some how being gratuitousness or extravagant. Clearly this is your own delusion and not based on any sense or reality.
I guess you didn't know that my wife wouldn't even let me take her out last night for a Valentine supper. I watch her work here at home building our meals and see why so many women refuse to do that kind of work. I don't know about that 60 cents per person since we do have two adult sons who partake of their evening meal at our house. They eat a lot more than when they were teenagers too.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:23 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you didn't know that my wife wouldn't even let me take her out last night for a Valentine supper. I watch her work here at home building our meals and see why so many women refuse to do that kind of work. I don't know about that 60 cents per person since we do have two adult sons who partake of their evening meal at our house. They eat a lot more than when they were teenagers too.
FYI - my ex-husband and I were discussing this issue last week - that the cost of buying a burger, fries and a milk at a local fast food joint is probably LESS than it costs to make a meal at home, and certainly takes less effort and less time, time that can be used to take care of the kids, time that can be used on a second job which someone has to work because wages are so low in this country and unions have been crushed, time that could be spent resting if one is overwhelmed with a hellish life that one has to live. It's almost ridiculous to try to prepare foods with the time it takes, the added costs, the shopping time, the shopping traveling costs, etc. etc. etc. etc. For the poor, I swear I don't know HOW they do it unless there's a wife that's not working outside the home and has plenty of time to be wasting on the shopping, the preparing, the cooking, the cleaning, the washing of dishes, etc.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Me either, especially the part about people advising them to have children so that they too can recieve public aid.
Oh hell, I heard one like that back in the early 70s. A truck driver who wore his brace on the outside of his pants got caught mowing his lawn without the brace and a push mower. He had told a friend of mine who could barely walk but kept on going that he needed to "Get one of these" patting his brace and you wouldn't have to work. He almost got his butt crunched right there but Jim's arms wouldn't straighten out so good either and he couldn't reach the ass hole. Oh, yeah they have been around for years and are tending to grow in numbers.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:29 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Neither do I know any with luxury vehicles and expensive clothing. And yes it is a struggle, but for some, I would dare so most, a struggle of their making. My first job was working with teens from low income families in a job placement program. One girl was placed at a job where they loved her and told her they would hire her full time when the job placement program was over in September. In July she turned 18, received SSI or something along those lines, and quit her job. I, being young and idealistic, figured she just didn't understand they were going to hire her and drove out to her house to talk to her. She told me she knew their plans but she didn't have to work now that she was getting her SSI.

Not sure how it all works, something about a parent's benefits. I don't understand the whole system, I just was shocked that someone had way out of the cycle but not the desire to take it.

She was probably going to get it anyway. I had a friend in high school whose father was mentally ill. She got social security for it and always kept a job in addition to receiving the checks. Eighteen is basically a child and many eighteen year olds make childish decisions. I am aware that there are people who abuse the system and people who are generational publica aid recipients, but what I find unbelievable is that the majority of them are abusing the system, living high on the hog and want to be on public aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies