Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 02:25 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,174,118 times

Advertisements

Obamacare needs to be scrapped....This is the legislation America needs to contain medical costs.

Brief Summary of the Legislation

Expanded & Improved Medicare For All Act establishes a unique American national universal health insurance program. The bill would create a publicly financed, privately delivered healthcare system that uses the already existing Medicare program by expanding and improving it to all U.S. residents, and all residents living in U.S. territories. The goal of the legislation is to ensure that everyone will have access, guaranteed by law, to the highest quality and most cost effective healthcare services regardless of their employment, income, or healthcare status. With over 45-75 million uninsured in the United States, and another 50 million who are under-insured, the time has come to change our inefficient and costly fragmented non-healthcare system.
Who is Eligible?

Every person living or visiting in the United States and the U.S. Territories would receive a United States National Health Insurance Card and ID number once they enroll at the appropriate location. Social Security numbers may not be used when assigning ID cards.
Healthcare Services Covered

This program will cover all medically necessary services, including primary care, inpatient care, outpatient care, emergency care, prescription drugs, durable medical equipment, long term care, mental health services, dentistry, eye care, chiropractic, and substance abuse treatment. Patients have their choice of physicians, providers, hospitals, clinics, and practices. No co-pays or deductibles are permissible under this act.

Cost Containment Provisions/Reimbursement

The National USNHI program will set reimbursement rates annually for physicians, allow for global budgets (annual lump sums for operating expenses) for healthcare providers; and negotiate prescription drug prices. A “Medicare For All Trust Fund” will be established to ensure a dedicated stream of funding, as well as an annual appropriation to ensure optimal levels of funding for the program.
The conversion to a not-for-profit healthcare system will take place over a 15 year period, through the sale of U.S. treasury bonds.
The U.S. could save enough on administrative costs with a single-payer system to cover the uninsured.

PNHP Co-founders Drs. Steffie Woolhandler and David Himmelstein published this definitive study of the administrative costs of the U.S. health system in the August 21, 2003 edition of the New England Journal of Medicine. After analyzing the costs of insurers, employers, doctors, hospitals, nursing homes and home-care agencies in both the U.S. and Canada, they found that administration consumes 31.0 percent of U.S. health spending, double the proportion of Canada (16.7 percent). Average overhead among private U.S. insurers was 11.7 percent, compared with 1.3 percent for Canada’s single-payer system and 3.6 percent for Medicare. Streamlined to Canadian levels, enough administrative waste could be saved to provide compressive health insurance to all Americans.

Proposed Funding For HR 676 Program*
Maintain current federal and state funding for existing healthcare programs; employer payroll tax of 4.5%, an employee payroll tax of 3.3%, in addition to the already existing 1.45% for Medicare; establish a 5% health tax on the top 5% of income earners; 10% tax on top 1% of wage earners, 1/3rd of 1% stock transaction tax, closing corporate tax loop-holes; repeal the Bush tax cut for the highest income earners.
*This proposal is put forward by single-payer advocates as one example of a funding system, though HR 676 doesn’t propose a funding program.

Healthcare-NOW! - HR 676
Single Payer Now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 02:28 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
oh my doG. expand the single greatest failure of a program in modern history???? ARE YOU KIDDING?

Medicare is part of the problem NOT part of the solution.

and YES I BELIEVE that we need to take care of our seniors and they need to have healthcare.

but the way medicare is structured is NOT NOT NOT the answer.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
oh my doG. expand the single greatest failure of a program in modern history???? ARE YOU KIDDING?

and YES I BELIEVE that we need to take care of our seniors and they need to have healthcare.

Come up with a better idea then.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

I prefer a single payer managed system like NHS

Old 02-18-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I prefer a single payer managed system like NHS
I've used the NHS; it's far from perfect. It comes with its own set of aggravations...different aggravations.

I want a single payer system here too, but the NHS is quite top-heavy when it comes to bureaucracy. It's not very efficient.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
It was tried under Clinton but could even get pass democrats because of cost.Its goig notwhere with the healthcare bill aready in place and years it takes to implemnt it. GOA says by 2020 15 millio will still be uninsy=ured under it. The prexisting insurnac ehas stopped because of funding ran out already.No universal payer is going anywhere.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:40 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
Weren't the Repubs against a single payer system and Obama had to take that out?

Old 02-18-2013, 02:43 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
I want to be able to go to my doctor and ask, how much and what are your credentials.
Then go to another doctor and ask how much and what are your credentials.
It would be a free market.

Instead I go to the doctor and they ask me, do you have insurance?

Old 02-18-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I want to be able to go to my doctor and ask, how much and what are your credentials.
Then go to another doctor and ask how much and what are your credentials.
It would be a free market.

Instead I go to the doctor and they ask me, do you have insurance?
That's how they determine how much to charge you. A lot of doctors charge different amounts for the same services depending on A.) whether you have insurance and B.) who your carrier is.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've used the NHS; it's far from perfect. It comes with its own set of aggravations...different aggravations.

I want a single payer system here too, but the NHS is quite top-heavy when it comes to bureaucracy. It's not very efficient.

I've never used it but my sister-in-law has her entire life (up until 2 years ago). She said that she never had an issue with it...and she has had three melanoma's removed...so she has used the service extensively.... Obviously she didn't enjoy paying the 11% national insurance contribution, but in the grand scheme of things it was for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies