Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 06:32 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've been around Black people, and I'm Black myself. I have been around enough people to know that handouts are not the main reason. The main reason, that I gather, is distrust for the Republican Party, as of current. Most Blacks I know are not looking for handouts. Can you prove "group mentality" exists in this case? I have to ask because from what I gather, most people vote because they are asking "what can this candidate do for me". If "group mentality" exists to any degree, it is matter of someone thing "if they can do something bad to another Black man, they can do it to me too because I'm Black as well". Most Black people I know that voted for President Obama were not looking for handouts, not even for the community. I have never heard of any Black person(at least where I live) looking for handouts.
The facts, and I both disagree with you.

Who freed the slaves - a Republican - who opposed Civil Rights i the main, Southern Democrats. What else do Democrats have to offer, but the fruits of other's labors.

In any case, it will never change.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Reverse engineering? Tricked? If this was about curiosity, then why is there so much vitriol in past threads along this same topic? If more people read about the Southern Strategy of 1968, many people would understand why.
Well I mean, excluding the stormfront brigade and nursing home residents who post here, of course.

In the eyes of the Republican party in general, it seems to them like a grand trick was pulled to get black folk to vote Democratic, since in their opinion the obvious correctness of their beliefs and opinions should be self-evident to everyone, and therefore anyone who disagrees must either have been fooled, bribed, or otherwise didn't come to their decision by legitimate means.

Quote:
However, considering that even when that is mentioned, so many people attempt to bring up the Republican Party of Lincoln's era. That is not the same Republican Party as the Republican Party of 1970. Things have changed. I would not say Blacks have been tricked into voting for one party. I see it as Blacks have been alienated from the other party.
Well yeah. These people have internalized their own party talking points for so long (party of Lincoln, blah blah blah) without the original context that they honestly have no clue any more how or why black folks began voting Democratic in the first place. Which leads back to their reasoning that it must have been some sort of bamboozlement. And obviously it's a reflection of how they see nonwhites as a monolithic entity with no self-determination or agency. That's why they ignore the southern strategy or even the role of the New Deal and the FDR coalition in the realignment. They legitimately have no idea what any of those things are because they've been removed from their telling of history.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:02 PM

73,021 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post

Who freed the slaves - a Republican - who opposed Civil Rights i the main, Southern Democrats. What else do Democrats have to offer, but the fruits of other's labors.

The Republican Party might have freed the slaves. However, things started to change with the Republican Party. The first major drop in Black support for the Republican Party started with the Lily White Movement.

Lily-White Movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Virginia Party Politics
Newsclippings related to African-American political involvement
The Negroes
Michael Fauntroy: Republicans and the Black Vote

The elements of White supremacy had been building in the early 20th century, and this movement basically started to drive some Blacks away. Blacks were being barred from attending GOP conventions. Herbert Hoover, a Republican, broke all of his promises to Black leaders. This is when fewer Blacks started supporting Republicans. If you say the Democrats have failed Blacks, it can also be said that Republicans have also failed Blacks.

And it didn't matter who was in Congress, Lyndon B. Johnson signed for the Civil Rights Act as well as the Voting Rights Act. And it was Barry Goldwater who was against Civil Rights. In the beginning, the Democratic Party was against civil rights. Yes, that is the case. However, pretty soon, Republicans were turning against Blacks as well. In 1964, it was the Republican candidate who was against civil rights measures, not the Democratic candidate. Whatever was going in Congress, it is the President people are looking to, not Congress.

The final nail in the coffin came in 1968, with the Southern Strategy, started by Nixon.

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html...s-southern.pdf

Old 04-21-2013, 07:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why,for the free handouts,that's why.
You would have to be a complete idiot not to know that.
Which makes them smart,btw. Who votes against their own interests?

Pretty soon,however,maybe now,Democrats are pushing them aside for hispanics.
Take heed black people....neither side truly cares.
I've learned that with democrats and the high abortion rate.
Where are these free handouts? I've never seen anything like that?

Old 04-21-2013, 07:12 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times
Quote:

Who freed the slaves - a Republican -
And how is freeing the slaves not a handout to the blacks? Riddle me that, Batman.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
My school of thought? I recognized that integration is not some cure all for our ills, and to assume so is patronizing towards us. that's how Zora Neale Hurston felt, and that's what AG gaston demonstrated.
A.G. Gaston,or his sons, still would have been hung from a tree if he had been falsely accused of looking at a white woman, or not being sufficiently deferential to white men. He still lived in a rabidly racist Jim Crow South. So what the hell did all of that money do for him?

Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 PM

124 posts, read 145,220 times
Most blacks vote democrat because the right wing is very biased against them. There are several reasons why there are so many people living in poverty and unemployed today but, I doubt you can blame it on the democrats when you look at the vast numbers of whites scattered across America who are the poorest of the poor, always vote republican.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:26 PM

73,021 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
Well I mean, excluding the stormfront brigade and nursing home residents who post here, of course.

In the eyes of the Republican party in general, it seems to them like a grand trick was pulled to get black folk to vote Democratic, since in their opinion the obvious correctness of their beliefs and opinions should be self-evident to everyone, and therefore anyone who disagrees must either have been fooled, bribed, or otherwise didn't come to their decision by legitimate means.
In the eyes of the Republican Party. In my opinion, if the Republican Party was serious about attracting more Blacks, and regaining Black votes, being condescending and patronizing is not the way to do it. It would not bring someone in to say things like "the plantation", or comments made by Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich.

Quote:
Well yeah. These people have internalized their own party talking points for so long (party of Lincoln, blah blah blah) without the original context that they honestly have no clue any more how or why black folks began voting Democratic in the first place. Which leads back to their reasoning that it must have been some sort of bamboozlement. And obviously it's a reflection of how they see nonwhites as a monolithic entity with no self-determination or agency. That's why they ignore the southern strategy or even the role of the New Deal and the FDR coalition in the realignment. They legitimately have no idea what any of those things are because they've been removed from their telling of history.
There is also another part of history that is never talking about.
Lily-White Movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This particular movement was the starting driving Blacks away from the Republican Party. It was the start, but the big end came in 1968.

Part of it does go back to not really getting it. Another part is not really caring at all.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:

Both Southern Republicans and Southern Democrats voted against civil rights, And both Northern Dems and Republicans voted for it, this was not a D vs R situation. It was North vs South. situation.

I always find it hilarious that people use the "bold" as if Democrats dont have jobs themselves.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:45 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Hows the economy? Minorities fairing well? Racists don't need the klan when they have you spouting off garbage.

I admit that you falsely testify for others because you don't have a leg to stand on. Why seek the truth when you can just make things up in order to fit a twisted agenda.

Why listen to you? You're wrong too often.
You want government to raise you from cradle to grave. I'm a man. I take care of myself. And as part of society I help those who cannot help themselves. I don't use force and coercion to do it either.
Please tell me what the government can do for a man without children isn't married? I'll wait... Do you know how hard it is to get ssi? Do you know on average ssi pays very little a month and its targeted towards people with disabilities who have a hard time working and providing for themselves.

Tell me who get the benefits in this country, without children you get nothing or little to nothing.

You're a man who can take care of yourself? That's great white men usually have less racism and more overall acceptance in corporate America and I would expect you to, nothing is in your way, you're the gold standard, you created the rules and of course you should have a leg up on how to play them.

Unlike green mariner i don't care for arguing about topics which facts are written in stone and it becomes obvious its just a black bashing fest. Blacks had always had twice the rate of unemployment compared to whites, this is a fact for almost 50 years. Majority of blacks voting dem means something, no offense but 97% is a pretty big number so ask yourself why? Why do the majority of them vote and instead of spewing stereotypical garbage look at the f acts, look at some of the articles posted, plenty of proof out there.

Bob Johnson is a billionaire, Oprah is a billionaire, what did Bob say on the fox factor? Who did Oprah vote for?

I think you guys are just out of touch with reality and it bothers you when blacks seem to vote dem in your opinion.

Green mariner post links on the southern slavery standard and has anyone read it? Doesn't seem like it...

Does anyone care to read it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies