Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these should automatically result in capital punishment??
First Degree Murder of a Child Under 12 53 46.90%
First Degree Murder of a Police Officer, Corrections Officer or Federal Agent 37 32.74%
Murder of a Witness in a criminal case 38 33.63%
Rape of a Child 39 34.51%
Planning or carrying out an act of terrorism resulting in death 42 37.17%
Treason/Espionage against the United States 35 30.97%
Other 23 20.35%
None 50 44.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 AM

1,596 posts, read 1,159,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I am honestly trying to figure out how you arrived at your opinion.

"If anyone dies BECAUSE YOU committed a crime, you die.

If you are responsible for taking someones life, you forfeit yours" I can't make it any clearer then that!
Killing is not a "taking".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 10:58 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,245,351 times
There should be no automatic punishments for any crime.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:28 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statutory Ape View Post
Killing is not a "taking".
If you say so!

Old 02-25-2013, 11:31 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
There should be no automatic punishments for any crime.
I agree.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Charlie Manson never killed anyone.
To my knowledge, Hitler never pulled the trigger, lit the furnace, etc., but his actions led to the deaths of 6 million Jews and countless other unfortunates. He is still responsible for those deaths, nonetheless, as it was his orders that led to them.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
If you say so!
Well, if it is, let's discuss International Harvester.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:49 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,347 times
Part of the problem with the death penalty in America is that it takes too long. I know that sounds stupid but hear me out.

Many have stated that the death penalty costs too much. Well, the problem with that is not the actual cost of the procedure, but the legal costs of the multiple appeals. Virtually all of the costs goes to lawyers. The actual injection is less than having tires replaced on my wife's car. Or I'll donate a box of bullets each month to my state's penitentiary for use in firing squads.

Now if somehow we could streamline the appeals process, removing many of the barriers that exist to slow the judicial process down - or virtually stop it altogether - it's possible that, with the increased numbers of executions occurring more frequently, it might become more of a deterrant. As it stands right now, it has no deterrant value at all, simply because we don't use it enough. My cousin was killed in a convenience store robbery in 1982. Her killer got the death penalty. Guess where he is today, 32 years later? Still on death row, being fed and housed at my family's expense. He will likely die there, before ever getting the chair. Other potential criminals know this, therefore they know that being sentenced "death" really means life at others' expense.

I am fully aware that meany innocents have been executed. This is an absolute travesty. But nowadays, our media-soaked society, along with infusions of cameras, surveillence instruments, forensic technology, it is becoming increasingly easier to determine beyond the shadow of a doubt the 100% guilt of a murderer. If this is the case, then after being sentenced to death in the primary trial, the prisoner should have to right to appeal to a special court set aside for just this process. The appeals process is automatic, mandantory and must be completed with 120 days. If the appeals fails, the sentence must be completed within 90 days. Of course, this would be the process for those found guilty under incontrovertible circumstances. All others would recieve life, or life w/o parole.

All parents know that a penalty is only a penalty if the threat of its use is real. We don't use it - the death penalty - enough to make it "real" for those that may contemplate the repercussions of their actions.

As for those that wouldn't advocate the death penalty for child rape or murder, i question whether or not they have children. Because i can state with all certainty that if someone were to do anything like this to my daughter or son, they wouldn't have time to spend in prison. They would either die at my hand - meaning i'd be the one in prison - or i'd find a way to make sure their time in prison was short... and very painful. There is nothing on this planet - not my country, my church, my friends, job or my own freedom - more precious to me than my children.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
"I am honestly trying to figure out how you arrived at your opinion.

"If anyone dies BECAUSE YOU committed a crime, you die.

If you are responsible for taking someones life, you forfeit yours" I can't make it any clearer then that!
That might make sense in theory. But there are 2 major issues. The first is that a lot of factors that determine whether someone is put to death have nothing to do with the severity of the crime. The second is, should the state--any state--claim the right ti kill its own citizens. That seems like an awful lot of power to give the government. I am always surprised how many people who rail against excessive government power have no problem with the death penalty.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 PM

Tha, I say, that percent column is way beyond the top.

269 percent?

Old 02-25-2013, 08:47 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
To my knowledge, Hitler never pulled the trigger, lit the furnace, etc., but his actions led to the deaths of 6 million Jews and countless other unfortunates. He is still responsible for those deaths, nonetheless, as it was his orders that led to them.
Darwin's Law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies