Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 01:07 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Some of them almost stroke out over their hatred of gays - totally irrational and borderline psychotic. It isn't a huge leap to suspect there are some underlying psychological issues going on.
And there are many who cannot distinguish between religiouness and spirituality.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:17 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Anyway, women deal with what you're talking about ALL the time. Like, on a daily basis. Does that mean straight men are trying to "recruit" women?
Yep... see my above post, because I basically said the same exact thing. I'm a decent looking woman, but not exactly supermodel material, and still have to deal with this on a fairly regular basis. Sometimes it's nice, sometimes it's annoying (especially if they're pushy/obnoxious), but I've never EVER thought of it as "recruiting."

I don't think that poster knows the meaning of recruitment, at least not the way anti-gays usually try to define it. They seem to think if a child sees a gay couple holding hands, or if a dude winks at another dude in the locker room, some kind of magical button will turn them gay too. And yet, whenever I ask these same people "could you be attracted to another man/woman if somebody told you to," they never EVER say yes - or they'll suspiciously refuse to answer. Hmmm.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:30 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yep... see my above post, because I basically said the same exact thing. I'm a decent looking woman, but not exactly supermodel material, and still have to deal with this on a fairly regular basis. Sometimes it's nice, sometimes it's annoying (especially if they're pushy/obnoxious), but I've never EVER thought of it as "recruiting."

I don't think that poster knows the meaning of recruitment, at least not in the context anti-gays try to define it. They seem to think if a child sees a gay couple holding hands, or if a dude winks at another dude in the locker room, some kind of magical button will turn them gay too. And yet, whenever I ask these same people "could you be attracted to another man/woman if somebody told you to," they never EVER say yes - or they'll suspiciously refuse to answer. Hmmm.
Yes, right after I posted I realised you'd said pretty much the same thing. Only better.

The recruitment thing is a fantasy, IMHO. I'm hardwired to be straight and can't imagine anyone persuading me to be otherwise. Same with gay people - it's how we are born.

Now, some people might be free-spirited enough (or hardwired) to play both sides of the fence. But I don't see anything wrong with that.

My father was born gay, to a Catholic family. He tried his best to conform, including getting married and having three children. But that is not who he WAS. And as an interesting point to ponder, would his marriage to my mother be invalid, in the view of the anti-gay-marriage crowd?

Old 03-02-2013, 07:03 AM

797 posts, read 1,344,383 times
The difference is if it was a San Francisco woman doing the offering, they would have known immediately what the deal was.

Amazing those San Frasncisco gay men have to disguise their intentions and hope they can RECRUIT someone who is NAIVE.

We laughed at those San Francisco wierdos.

Probably many of them got wiped out when the AIDS epedemic swept thru the gay community in San Francisco.
It spread thru the gay community faster than the Chicago fire spreading thru Chicago.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:50 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

I think my point went right over your head... LOL.

I was trying to say it IS a real marriage, so why WOULDN'T a marriage between gay couples - who also have to engage in "non-traditional sex" - be considered a real marriage? Your argument against gay marriage seems to be based on genitalia/sex (correct me if I'm wrong), so I was using a paralyzed man as an analogy. Got it now? You're the one attempting to dictate who should or shouldn't get married, not me, as I have no problem with ANY consenting adults getting married.
You are wrong. Go back and read my posts and you will see that I never made any such argument.

Your point most certainly did not go over my head. Apparently, I need to make it more clear when I am being sarcastic. Perhaps you should focus more on reading carefully, but since you seem to communicate better with pictures, how will this do?

Old 03-02-2013, 03:06 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
We're not "scared"! That is just poor choice of wording to suit a one sided conversation! BUT we are TIRED of listening about it! It is disgusting, it is promoting an unhealthy/promiscuous lifestyle, and we are generally sick and tired of listening to all these imitators, and their antics! Enough is Enough!
Find some other way to suck at the system!(=filling joint taxes)! we all know what this is really ABOUT!

This "Poor me" crap is getting old!

MO!

Old 03-02-2013, 03:50 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
We're not "scared"! That is just poor choice of wording to suit a one sided conversation! BUT we are TIRED of listening about it! It is disgusting, it is promoting an unhealthy/promiscuous lifestyle, and we are generally sick and tired of listening to all these imitators, and their antics! Enough is Enough!
!

MO!
How is wanting to make it legal for same sex couples to enter into a legal contract (marriage) promoting an unhealthy and promiscuous lifestyle?

In fact, don't you think marriage equality would do just the opposite?
Quote:
Find some other way to suck at the system!(=filling joint taxes)
Why is it ok for hetero couples to "suck the system" (by filling joint taxes ) but not for same sex couples?
Quote:
we all know what this is really ABOUT!
No....we "all" don't know what it's really about. Why don't you tell us?

Old 03-02-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Find some other way to suck at the system!(=filling joint taxes)! we all know what this is really ABOUT!

MO!
Oh jeez. Another one.

So when you put a photo of your opposite-sex SO up in your office, are you not promoting the straight lifestyle?
When you invite your opposite-sex SO to office functions or holiday parties, are you not promoting the straight lifestyle?
When auto manufacturers at car shows hire curvacious scantily-clad young women to draw attention to cars, that's not promoting an unhealthy/promiscuous lifestyle?
The carefully-marketed, attractive country singers and entertainers with all the standard sexy marketing - isn't this promoting the straight lifestyle?
Straight people "promote" the norm, because it is, well, the norm. But that does not mean that gay people should be invisible.

I'm straight and I am not one iota "sick of" listening to anyone. In fact, could you provide a single instance, cite or link to illustrate your claim that gay people are "promoting their lifestyle"? Just one?

I bet you can't. And until you do, your post will be orphaned as yet another pointless, hysterical and emotional knee-jerk reaction to something you find scary.

Ball's in your court...

Old 03-02-2013, 04:29 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Oh jeez. Another one.

Straight people "promote" the norm, because it is, well, the norm. But that does not mean that gay people should be invisible.

The gay population doesn't have to nor should they be invisible but there is no need to wear you gayness on your sleeve. This however does not just pertain to gay life style. Americans tend to do this with everything from politics to sexual preference. It just becomes tiring after a while.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
The gay population doesn't have to nor should they be invisible but there is no need to wear you gayness on your sleeve. This however does not just pertain to gay life style. Americans tend to do this with everything from politics to sexual preference. It just becomes tiring after a while.
How many people do you know that "wear gayness on their sleeves"? I mean, seriously. I have been around gay people my entire life (55 years so far) and while I've known some honestly "out" people, I've never encountered anyone militant.
So I sort of wonder about you anti-gay folks who seem to run into militant or recruiting gays all over the place.

I get what you are saying, but consider this: No social change happened without some militant and brave individuals. From militant feminists to militant gun-owners. For ANY social change to happen, there must be believers who will put their lives on the line.

So if straight people and gun owners and Democrats and Republicans and Christians and Jews, etc who are committed to their cause can be vocal, why not gays? Why, in your opinion, is it OK for people to be vocal and even run for office, on the strength of their lifestyle (sexual orientation, religious choice, political affiliation) preferences, but it's wrong for gay people to do so?

I await your response with bated breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies