Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 09:43 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,067,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
See if you can find a better place to live that will take you. If you do, please tell us.
What do you mean a better place that will take me???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 12:04 AM

27,146 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Try crossing the Mexican Border unannounced maybe?

Old 02-10-2015, 06:24 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
It looks like when Obama said he "evolved' on gay marriage, he lied about that too. He was for Gay marriage all along, but he said he was against it for political reasons.

Quote:
Axelrod writes that he knew Obama was in favor of same-sex marriages during the first presidential campaign, even as Obama publicly said he only supported civil unions, not full marriages. Axelrod also admits to counseling Obama to conceal that position for political reasons. “Opposition to gay marriage was particularly strong in the black church, and as he ran for higher office, he grudgingly accepted the counsel of more pragmatic folks like me, and modified his position to support civil unions rather than marriage, which he would term a ‘sacred union,’ ” Axelrod writes.

David Axelrod: Barack Obama Misled Nation On Gay Marriage In 2008

Old 02-10-2015, 11:06 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
89 pages and still going. WOW

Old 02-11-2015, 12:07 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Since when has President and the word truth ever been a symbiotic relationship . Let me harken back to another one. "Read my lips, no new taxes. So, cool story bro.
It's funny how often you Democrats try to bring up Bush's "no new taxes" thing because all it does it slap you in the face. The story I see liberals use so often as evidence of Republicans' lack of ethics is, in reality, a story of Democrat lack of ethics.

Bush was forced to raise taxes because the Democrats threatened to shut down the government if he didn't. Yes, the Democrats threatened the very same thing they called Republicans economic terrorists and anarchists for doing, so Bush compromised and signed the tax raises.

So:

1. You reveal that you are ignorant of what you're talking about
2. You expose the hypocrisy of Democrats using government shutdowns to get their way, then bashing Republicans for doing the same thing
3. The Democrats then lied in the next campaign to use the "read my lips" thing again Bush, knowing full well that they were the ones who raised those taxes and not Bush

Unless you want to look like an idiot again to anyone who actually does know what happened then, you probably want to avoid the whole "read my lips" story. The truth of it leaves Democrats as liars and hypocrites, not Republicans. The facts of the whole "read my lips" situation are a black mark on Democrats, not on Republicans. It was one of the initial things in my life that turned me against you liberals as I was a young idealistic new voter at the time so I was keenly aware of all the budget battles that had gone on when the election came around and those Democrats who had forced Bush into signing taxes turned around called him a terrible President and a liar for those very same tax raises that they themselves had proposed and forced through.

Last edited by kidkaos2; 02-11-2015 at 12:20 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 12:11 AM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
I don't believe it is possible to rise in politics in this county without lying. All politicians do it. This is not new and not news. You know the old joke "how can you tell when a politician is lying?" "His lips are moving."

I'm not trying to be funny - this is just the way the political game is played. Politicians lie. People running for city council lie (and misrepresent themselves). It doesn't get any better the higher you go - it just gets worse. Politicians play by their own rules. All of them.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:27 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I don't believe it is possible to rise in politics in this county without lying. All politicians do it. This is not new and not news. You know the old joke "how can you tell when a politician is lying?" "His lips are moving."

I'm not trying to be funny - this is just the way the political game is played. Politicians lie. People running for city council lie (and misrepresent themselves). It doesn't get any better the higher you go - it just gets worse. Politicians play by their own rules. All of them.
That's true. However, not all lies are the same.

Obama's lies about not resting until he got to the bottom of problems at the VA, for example, cost over 50 people their lives due to delays in receiving medical care when Obama did nothing to solve those problems.

For another example, Obama's lies about the youtube video causing Benghazi ended up with the maker of that video being sent to prison to cover those lies.

And another, Obama's lies about keeping your insurance if you liked it ended up with thousands upon thousands of people losing their medical coverage. If Obama hadn't covered up and lied about that issue in Obamacare in order to get it passed more easily, then the problem could have been fixed far sooner than it was and those people could have had a smooth transition to new coverage instead of just getting unexpected cancellation notices and being left out in the cold.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:43 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It's funny how often you Democrats try to bring up Bush's "no new taxes" thing because all it does it slap you in the face. The story I see liberals use so often as evidence of Republicans' lack of ethics is, in reality, a story of Democrat lack of ethics.

Bush was forced to raise taxes because the Democrats threatened to shut down the government if he didn't. Yes, the Democrats threatened the very same thing they called Republicans economic terrorists and anarchists for doing, so Bush compromised and signed the tax raises.

So:

1. You reveal that you are ignorant of what you're talking about
2. You expose the hypocrisy of Democrats using government shutdowns to get their way, then bashing Republicans for doing the same thing
3. The Democrats then lied in the next campaign to use the "read my lips" thing again Bush, knowing full well that they were the ones who raised those taxes and not Bush

Unless you want to look like an idiot again to anyone who actually does know what happened then, you probably want to avoid the whole "read my lips" story. The truth of it leaves Democrats as liars and hypocrites, not Republicans. The facts of the whole "read my lips" situation are a black mark on Democrats, not on Republicans. It was one of the initial things in my life that turned me against you liberals as I was a young idealistic new voter at the time so I was keenly aware of all the budget battles that had gone on when the election came around and those Democrats who had forced Bush into signing taxes turned around called him a terrible President and a liar for those very same tax raises that they themselves had proposed and forced through.
You are aware that the whole "read my lips" thing didn't go over well for Bush when he said that. People took him at his word, and here you are saying he basically caved to Democrats....and that is one of the reasons why he was a one term president.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:54 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedWithHeavyPrecip View Post
Geez I don't why I should even replied to such an uber partisan OP but
Politfact rated this half true and not false or "pants on fire"

Obama says his budget plan will cut deficits by $4 trillion | PolitiFact
The independent analysis the Obama campaign relied on back then came from the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities, a left-leaning think tank. Looking at a 10-year horizon, the center estimated that the president’s combination of spending cuts and tax increases would lower deficits by $3.8 trillion over the decade. That total included $1.7 trillion in reductions that the president and Congress agreed to in 2011.

Those "cuts" have already been thrown out the window, so how do you count them?

The "left wing" think tank says it will make these cuts, the Congressional budget office says it will add $3.5 trillion. On top of that, Obama has zero control on what goes in to a budget 2-5-8 years from now. The guy is one of those people that would rather lie even when the truth is a better answer.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:57 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedWithHeavyPrecip View Post
Its really ironic that you accuse Obama of some lies without actually quoting him while claiming
he said things he clearly didn't say like "The stimulus will reduce the deficit and bring unemployment to less than 5%."
Those representing him and speaking for his position said them. To say he didn't actually say the words himself is disingenuous. They were lies presented by his administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies