Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:52 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

You either needed them, or you didn't. Obviously, we didn't. Anyone else besides me ever worked in a FAA control tower? I fixed their comm gear. Man, I wonder what a tower control guy can do after being tower guy for like, ever. Maybe they can deliver pizzas or something. Salary gonna take a hit, though. Which is just what a recovering economy needs.... less money going in. It's like someone is bleeding to death and you give them a lot of blood and then you are like "No more blood for you, Cuz, Congress, that's why."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/28/travel...ing/index.html

Congress cares about this. That's why they did NOTHING... because, hey, they ain't losing their jobs, right? One side can sit there and say the same BS for MONTHS and ... nothing happens. We need a fundamental change in Congress. If it doesn't matter that you can't do your job, yet you can still keep your job, you have a seriously flawed system. Imagine, if at work, they gave you a task, and a date. At the end, you say, "Meh, I didn't figure it out. "

YOU GET FIRED. We just get to wait a few years, and watch as the idiot gets elected again. It's hilarious in its idiocy.

Imagine ... if Congress told everyone to cut a lot of money by a certain date and the FAA got to that date and said "No one could agree on what to do."

What would happen then? Would Congress be like, all OK with that massive cluster#$@#? I dare say, heads would roll.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:59 AM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Planes takeoff and land successfully all the time at uncontrolled fields. Air traffic control should be entirely funded by the people that use their service. Funding should not depend on the whim of politics.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:05 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Planes takeoff and land successfully all the time at uncontrolled fields. Air traffic control should be entirely funded by the people that use their service. Funding should not depend on the whim of politics.
Not if they're commercial aircraft, they don't. There are thousands of commercial planes flying over the United States at any point in time. That's multiple hundreds of thousands of people being transported daily. How do you think all of these little dots on this map manage to safely depart their origin and navigate to their destination without chaos and accidents in the skies? You think this "just happens" on its own?

Many conservatives are too dense to know what the FAA is or what it does to keep them from dying when they fly their oversized butts across the country on commercial aircraft.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:32 AM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

Good point, why do they have these small towers in Boca Raton, FL ;Hamptons, NY and pother places in the first place, seems like a rather large taxpayer subsidy for the derived benefit.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I thought government workers were going to get 1 day furlough, not layed off.
Is FAA laying off ?

I suggest Kennedy, LaGuardia, Chicago, Miami, San Francisco and Los Angeles be closed.
That should put the fear in people.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
80% of the FAA's budget money comes from "user taxes" that go into the Aviation Trust Fund.

Sequestration doesn't affect this. The Dept of Transportation is getting the cuts and they are directing most of the cuts right at the FAA and the towers.

Why furlough some paper pushers at desks when you can cause havoc in America by shutting down towers ?

We are but pawns in a political game being played in DC. They don't care about us, they don't care about the economy, they don't care about the debt and deficit spending. They are playing power games among themselves.

Rethinking the FAA budget - The Hill's Congress Blog
Like most other federal transportation programs, aviation has traditionally been funded largely by user taxes, including the passenger ticket tax, fuel taxes on private planes, and a variety of other aviation excise taxes. These monies are accounted for in the Aviation Trust Fund, which is the source of capital spending on airports and air traffic control, as well as a large portion of the FAA’s operating budget (roughly corresponding to its air traffic control workforce). Traditionally, aviation user taxes brought in more than 80 percent of the FAA’s budget.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
The cuts will not force the closure of the airports, because aircraft can land without air traffic control help, and some operations can be switched to other FAA facilities.

GREAT, wonderful. We are going to actually address expensive redundancy. I'll believe it when I actually see it though.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:06 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Good thing the all knowing fed government has a monopoly on air traffic control

Old 03-02-2013, 12:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
You either needed them, or you didn't. Obviously, we didn't. Anyone else besides me ever worked in a FAA control tower? I fixed their comm gear. Man, I wonder what a tower control guy can do after being tower guy for like, ever. Maybe they can deliver pizzas or something. Salary gonna take a hit, though. Which is just what a recovering economy needs.... less money going in. It's like someone is bleeding to death and you give them a lot of blood and then you are like "No more blood for you, Cuz, Congress, that's why."

FAA begins process to close 168 towers on April 1 - CNN.com

Congress cares about this. That's why they did NOTHING... because, hey, they ain't losing their jobs, right? One side can sit there and say the same BS for MONTHS and ... nothing happens. We need a fundamental change in Congress. If it doesn't matter that you can't do your job, yet you can still keep your job, you have a seriously flawed system. Imagine, if at work, they gave you a task, and a date. At the end, you say, "Meh, I didn't figure it out. "

YOU GET FIRED. We just get to wait a few years, and watch as the idiot gets elected again. It's hilarious in its idiocy.

Imagine ... if Congress told everyone to cut a lot of money by a certain date and the FAA got to that date and said "No one could agree on what to do."

What would happen then? Would Congress be like, all OK with that massive cluster#$@#? I dare say, heads would roll.

FIFY:

FAA begins process to close 168 towers on April 1 - Thanks, Obama!

This just in: It's Bush's fault.....oh wait....no it was actually Racism!

Old 03-02-2013, 12:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Not if they're commercial aircraft, they don't. There are thousands of commercial planes flying over the United States at any point in time. That's multiple hundreds of thousands of people being transported daily. How do you think all of these little dots on this map manage to safely depart their origin and navigate to their destination without chaos and accidents in the skies? You think this "just happens" on its own?

Many conservatives are too dense to know what the FAA is or what it does to keep them from dying when they fly their oversized butts across the country on commercial aircraft.
yeah, now because of the sequester jumbo jets are going to be crashing into each other.

the reality of the situation is that there is a lot of redundancy built into the air traffic control system, and some of it is unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies