Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
What does that have to do with the topic at hand?

So you think going unwashed for 11 weeks is perfectly okay? I personally start to feel pretty nasty after about a day and a half, and I'm a pretty sedentary person aside from running after my toddler and cleaning the house. Granted, that won't kill anybody but that's the kind of conditions these people are living in so you really have to wonder what else is going on. Old or not, people deserve proper care.
Hmmm. Do you think they get it in nursing homes here in the good ole' USA?

Sometimes they do; sometimes they don't. Any family member you place in a nursing home - you had better watch like a hawk and prepare to advocate on their behalf. Any of your family members hospitalized for any reason - be prepared to advocate for and watch like hawk.

Growing old here ain't all sunshine and rainbows either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 01:43 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Well #1 Doesn't "debunk" anything. The one expert just comes up with another way of measuring.
#2 Is a right wing/libertarian think tank funded by the Koch brothers.
#3 Actually supports the WHO rankings and universal health care???????
Can you link to a study that compares cost while including costs of supplemental care in countries which have UHC?

The cost of supplemental insurance plans is conveniently left out of comparative statistics.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Nearly 1,200 people have starved to death in NHS hospitals because 'nurses are too busy to feed patients' | Mail Online

"As many as 1,165 people starved to death in NHS hospitals over the past four years fuelling claims nurses are too busy to feed their patients."

Its already been stated, by several sources, there is going to be a shortage of doctors and healthcare workers with the increase of persons using the system. The deaths attributed to the widely loved NHS System, a system MANY here want us to replicate, is because of a lack of healthcare workers.

But hell, everyone is covered, right?

45,000 Americans die each year because they don't have health insurance. And all of America's best doctor's want a system like Obamacare.

New study finds 45,000 deaths annually linked to lack of health coverage | Harvard Gazette

The above source is from Harvard, and by Harvard physicians.
Who knows how to run America's medical system, Fox news and Rush radio (or) Harvard physicians?

Plus Obamacare saves America money.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
It was pretty obvious that that poster was just rambling. He didnt prove or disprove anything at all. That poster is known for bombarding others with endless streams of data in attempts to confuse them. Confusing someone doesn't mean you win a debate. It simply doesn't make for good conversation. I could break Dow. Each part of what he wrote and argue it as i have done in the past but I choose not to because it would just take too much time.
Mircea writes some of the most concise posts I've seen on this board, and puts pertinent information into sections to make it easier to read. If Mircea's posts confuse you, there is a problem on your end, not on his.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:03 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Comparing Obamacare and the NHS doesn't make sense.
It makes perfectly good sense. When the entire healthcare debate started up, MANY people, including DOZENS on this board, wanted the United States to resemble the NHS and/or the Canadian System. In fact, MANY wanted exact mirrors and held the NHS up as a poster child of national healthcare.

Obamacare is a form of national healthcare. IF you read the article, people in NHS Hospitals in England are dying, due to the fact the patients outweigh the staff available. Simply put, there aren't enough doctors and nurses to go around in the NHS. Not too mention, the second article I linked showed how 40% of doctors in the NHS WOULD NOT recommend their own hospitals to family members.

Now, you can argue until you are blue in the face: The simple fact is the NHS is overburdened and cannot sustain its current levels of care. Its bursting at the seems and people are now dying.

The United States already has a shortage of healthcare workers. In 2014 we are adding another 30 million, per Obama's numbers, to a system which cannot support the numbers it has now. As others in this thread have pointed out, there are already deaths, mistakes, etc in our system now. With the number of people increasing, it stands to reason the number of deaths, mistakes, etc will also increase.

The NHS started out as a "noble" cause; as does Obamacare. However, they are BOTH doomed to failure. The NHS already is.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:04 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Young adults can stay on their parents' policies until age 26. This has been a godsend for my daughter. She lost her employer provided ins. when she left her job to go back to school. B/C she was a part time student, she could not buy ins. through the school. It costs a lot less to put her on our policy than it would for her to get her own policy, and our ins. is better than anything she could afford in an individual policy.
Your daughter left her job that provided insurance in order to become a part-time student? Why didn't she keep her job and become a part-time student like so many other young adults do?

Old 03-04-2013, 03:02 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
And it continues:

BBC News - Stafford Hospital senior nurses 'changed records'

"Nurse Helene Donnelly, who had given evidence to the public inquiry, told the Nursing and Midwifery Council hearing the two senior sisters had changed discharge documents and "bullied" other staff to do the same.

She said: "If I or my colleagues refused to change discharge times, Sister[s] Turner and White would shout, cold-shoulder and warn [that] the department could be closed."

BBC News - Stafford Hospital: Hiding mistakes 'should be criminal offence'

On this particular thread, to not is the comments from people who live in the UK themselves. Especially the ones who work within the NHS and state how their medical program is not sustainable.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:13 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Mircea writes some of the most concise posts I've seen on this board, and puts pertinent information into sections to make it easier to read. If Mircea's posts confuse you, there is a problem on your end, not on his.
You may wish to learn the definition of concise. Mircea has never written a concise post on this forum. And NOTHING about his post confuses me. I just don't have the hours of free time necessary to refute him.

define concise - Bing DICTIONARY

Last edited by CravingMountains; 03-04-2013 at 03:22 PM..

Old 03-04-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Your daughter left her job that provided insurance in order to become a part-time student? Why didn't she keep her job and become a part-time student like so many other young adults do?
Because most full time employers will not work with student schedules, perhaps?

Old 03-04-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Enough said.
Not quite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies