Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 01:12 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
It's easy to say what you would and would not do from the comfort of your home. But I'm honest about my identity (click the (i) and you will get everything) and my location. Because of that I do get death threats on a regular basis because what I say is controversial. One person even called the cops and had the ATF harass the apartment managers about me. Whatever I do, I don't shield myself from comfort but embrace the consequences.

I would say as best as I can from the comfort of my home that I would shoot this cop dead if I saw this display. If I didn't have a gun, I'd at least restrain him. I'm much bigger than the cop by his appearance. I'm above 6'6" and over 260 lbs and unlike him I'm not fat. But yes what I'm saying is from the comfort of my own home.
If you did that you wouldn't be today typing your nonsense. What do you suppose the cops would have done to you once they would have arrived to the scene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 02:02 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The ironic thing is that you highlighted a woman being beaten up by a man, and the reality is the society that you envision "where men are men" is the very society in which women are the most likely to be beaten.

You don't see it because you aren't that bright.
Wrong. Real men being men don't beat up women.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Wrong. Real men being men don't beat up women.
She was using his definition of "real men" - not her own.
We know what real men really are; the OP is clueless.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Am I the only one on here who thinks it's totally effed up that not one of those twits in that bar helped her out? I'm seeing nothing but excuses. A real man would never have done that to her in the first place & a real man would help her out of that situation. Especially when there are three of them to help out against one. Pathetic. Oh, & to the OP: what does this have to do w/anything?
1)such as supporting blindly female rights over male rights
2)Advocating cooperating with the police instead of being self sufficient
3)afraid of guns
4)supports nanny government (see urbanlife)
5)gets overly worked up over the values of other traditional countries (calling them backwards, or primitive)
6)Not able to differentiate when defending oneself is a moral imperative

Nothing but more liberal bashing. Get over your tired self already.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:15 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
She was using his definition of "real men" - not her own.
We know what real men really are; the OP is clueless.
The OP is not clueless. He pointed to a scenario where an ass***e was beating up a woman, and two or three guys chose to not help her. He suggests that they made that decision at least partially because of recent teachings in America; that all violence is bad, that you should not resort to violence against anyone else, no matter the situation, you should just call the authorities for help. Watching the video, I can't argue he's wrong. (and honestly, I can't really see the connection between that inaction and some of the items on his list.) They wanted to help that woman, but for some reason decided that wasn't the right response. And just read some of the posts in this thread, justifying that inaction. I don't know that I would argue that men should be more violent, but I would absolutely argue that a real man shouldn't be afraid of violence when it's necessary. In fairness, neither should a woman. But that's a different thread.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:12 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
The OP is not clueless. He pointed to a scenario where an ass***e was beating up a woman, and two or three guys chose to not help her. He suggests that they made that decision at least partially because of recent teachings in America; that all violence is bad, that you should not resort to violence against anyone else, no matter the situation, you should just call the authorities for help. Watching the video, I can't argue he's wrong. (and honestly, I can't really see the connection between that inaction and some of the items on his list.) They wanted to help that woman, but for some reason decided that wasn't the right response. And just read some of the posts in this thread, justifying that inaction. I don't know that I would argue that men should be more violent, but I would absolutely argue that a real man shouldn't be afraid of violence when it's necessary. In fairness, neither should a woman. But that's a different thread.
Except his analysis is way off base. The main reason the guys didn't intervene is because the guy doing the beating was an off duty copy and we are taught to obey the police. .

Most of the people who hold police on pedestials tend to be conservative, yet he managed to turn this into a rant against "liberals"

Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,063,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Except his analysis is way off base. The main reason the guys didn't intervene is because the guy doing the beating was an off duty copy and we are taught to obey the police. .

Most of the people who hold police on pedestials tend to be conservative, yet he managed to turn this into a rant against "liberals"
To me, everyone is a liberal in America. Whether they identify as Republicans or Democrats. Especially in this context. I didn't mean to pick on what you consider 'liberal' (i.e Democrats or fellow travelers). I'm just expressing my distaste with Western men.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Unfortunately, even with your size, you still can't stop a bullet.

So, you come in and beat the crap out of this guy. You assist the woman in need and make sure she's ok. You did the right and noble thing. However, the dude you just kicked the crap out of limps back with his gun and shoots you. Now what? Or, he waits for you outside and shoots you there? This stuff happens. Gone are the days where someone loses a fight and just says, "Well, I lost and will leave it at that". Long ago guys would fight and the winner and loser just left it at that. Now, it's all about egos and the need to win at all costs.

We also live in a very litigious society today. People are sued often for doing the right thing. Sad but true. I agree with you that men today are not the men of yesterday which is sad. You can't get into a fight and win or lose and then shake the other guys hand after and it's forgotten. You can't defend the honor of a victim without being thrown in court afterwards. Yeah, you didn't do anything wrong but now your life is turned upside down by being sued or have to go to court as a witness, etc. Your home and work life are now screwed and you didn't deserve it.

I'm not sure what I would have done in this situation. I hope I would have made an effort to stop it, but I would have clearly been outnumbered. Perhaps I get the guys attention whereas he at least stops hitting the poor woman. But yeah, I guess three guys there should have done something together.
My body would stop a bullet but chances are that bullet would also stop my beating heart.

In these kinds of situations I react with passion. I don't ask questions about the future, I just react. Maybe one day that will kill me, but then nature will kill me eventually as well.

Again, watch those men, they want to do the right thing but they can't work up the courage to. I don't think it has anything to do with the fact this guy was an off duty police officer. I think a similar guy of similar stature would have produced the same response. They were afraid of being hurt so they did nothing. They probably never been in a fight in their lives so again they're afraid to enter one now.

And while the woman wasn't seriously injured (I think) she could have been. And they would have called cops and this guy would eventually been dealt with but it's too late for the woman.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:14 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post

It has nothing to do with obeying police, but knowing that in Chicago if you get on the wrong side of a cop, he and his buddies will make your life absolute hell.

People need to read more about the trial, from which the bartender was awarded at 850k. Not because of the attack itself, but because of the CPD's record of covering up wrongdoing by cops.

"Earlier that day, Abbate was flexing his muscles and yelling 'Chicago Police Department' as he harassed other patrons while the cameras rolled — images the jury also saw."

"In dramatic testimony, Patti Chiriboga, an Abbate confidant, recanted her grand jury testimony that she passed along a threatening message from Abbate to the bar's manager that he would plant cocaine and falsely charge witnesses if they didn't drop the matter and give him the video."

And on and on...
Police cover-up found in bartender beating - Chicago Tribune

Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
It has nothing to do with obeying police, but knowing that in Chicago if you get on the wrong side of a cop, he and his buddies will make your life absolute hell.

People need to read more about the trial, from which the bartender was awarded at 850k. Not because of the attack itself, but because of the CPD's record of covering up wrongdoing by cops.

"Earlier that day, Abbate was flexing his muscles and yelling 'Chicago Police Department' as he harassed other patrons while the cameras rolled — images the jury also saw."

"In dramatic testimony, Patti Chiriboga, an Abbate confidant, recanted her grand jury testimony that she passed along a threatening message from Abbate to the bar's manager that he would plant cocaine and falsely charge witnesses if they didn't drop the matter and give him the video."

And on and on...
Police cover-up found in bartender beating - Chicago Tribune
That's more or less true for any city. LA. NY. Chi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies