Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 09:08 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,275,326 times

Advertisements

Well it would seem that NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg has identified yet another peril to society and the well being of New Yorkers, the danger that the owners of private jets could fill up the city's homeless shelters, which of course is a threat to vital services in NYC.

He says:

Quote:
“You can arrive in your private jet at Kennedy Airport, take a private limousine and go straight to the shelter system, walk in the door, and we’ve got to give you shelter,” Bloomberg said, speaking on the radio.

“That’s what the law is. I didn’t write the law,” Bloomberg added.
So this really can happen. These people really can go from their Learjet to a cot in a homeless shelter via their limousines, taking up space there and displacing homeless street people and cutting in line for free gruel, and outrageously it's totally legal. I can see why he's so outraged and alarmed by this threatening possibility, and it's because he's a nutbar social control-freak with nothing better to do than cook up this kind of idiocy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 09:11 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Well it would seem that NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg has identified yet another peril to society and the well being of New Yorkers, the danger that the owners of private jets could fill up the city's homeless shelters, which of course is a threat to vital services in NYC.

He says:

So this really can happen. These people really can go from their Learjet to a cot in a homeless shelter via their limousines, taking up space and displacing homeless street people and cutting in line for free gruel, and outrageously it's totally legal. I can see why he's so outraged and alarmed by this threatening possibility, and it's because he's a nutbar social control-freak with nothing better to do than cook up this kind of idiocy.
Is the mayor proposing amending the law by adoping a 'means' test, i.e., having to show that one is indigent?

Old 03-09-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Is the mayor proposing amending the law by adoping a 'means' test, i.e., having to show that one is indigent?
Gosh I don't know, I'm really not sure what this is really about, or why he thinks anyone with the means to own a private jet would want to bed down in a homeless shelter. This one just flies right over my head, and I have to wonder about Mr. Bloomberg's mental state.

Certainly NYC has more important social issues for him to address, but that's not meant anything to him in the past.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
I read where he going after earphones too. You can't be responsible for turning the volume up and down anymore the government will do that for you.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:18 AM

These politicians have gone mad. Using the most ridiculous straw man argument he could come up with here and folks will just nod their head and say hey yeah why do those private jet owners get access to homeless shelters. Not fair.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:21 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
He is absolutely correct.

Everyone knows that NYC is a refuge/sanctuary city.

You can literally come here with nothing, rags and tags, and the city will accomodate you with food, clothing, shelter and other provisions for life. No explanation needed.

The one thing I respect about Bloomberg is that he is not a complete sap about some things. Once in a great moon he will drop a serious gem of knowledge on his observations about social and fiscal problems in NYC.

I remember he was on a radio show in Harlem a year ago and he was asked about how to improve the education system of NY and he plainly said "Well...the Norman Rockwell family is OVER and that's a problem"...and he was correct, but ruffled a lot of feathers with that one. I applauded him though.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
He is absolutely correct.

Everyone knows that NYC is a refuge/sanctuary city.

You can literally come here with nothing, rags and tags, and the city will accomodate you with food, clothing, shelter and other provisions for life. No explanation needed.
Be that as it may, he's not talking about the sort of people you are referring to, but those wealthy enough to afford a private jet and limousine transport from it to the homeless shelter. That NYC is a sanctuary city is meaningless with regard to such people, and I'm not at all sure why you brought that up.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:33 AM

Why shouldn't they have access to a homeless shelter? What about being fair??

Old 03-09-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Why shouldn't they have access to a homeless shelter? What about being fair??
Yeah, being fair to the homeless owners of private jets really should be a prime consideration for him. After all, should they be expected to just bed down in their Learjets? We all know how hard it is to sleep on a plane!

Old 03-09-2013, 09:43 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Be that as it may, he's not talking about the sort of people you are referring to, but those wealthy enough to afford a private jet and limousine transport from it to the homeless shelter. That NYC is a sanctuary city is meaningless with regard to such people, and I'm not at all sure why you brought that up.
Yes he is. I don't know if you're from NYC or not, but this is not the first time that he has brought up this issue. Yes, it's the first time that he has used this as an example, but this is not his first time addressing the loose ends of the sanctuary laws of the shelter system.

The shelter system is a hub for other social services which is why the sancutuary laws are of relevence. If you walk into a NYC shelter, you cannot live there for life...it's highly unlikely that you will be there longer than 6 months depending on your situation, but the city will set you up with every provision starting from that point on for life.

Overall I think his point is fairly obvious...the system is being abused and it needs to be fixed. He is correct that you can literally walk off a private jet and into a Limosuine and walk into a shelter without proof of anything and have the city accomodate you forever. I have worked in a similar field in NYC that delt with the homeless and it is absolutely astonishing how charitable (for lack of a better word) the city can be. It has created a fiscal mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies