Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:15 AM

29,491 posts, read 14,656,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Not even the same argument. Those thousands of Americans working in those areas are either extremely specialized or work for American companies.

H1B are directly lower wages in the US.
Exactly, here they are working for a lot less while people from the US working abroad generally make much more than they would working here. 15 years ago if I would have went to Australia to work I'd be making double than my hourly wage at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Corporate scam, I think. If there is, indeed, a lack of talent for certain skills in the US, then it's the fault of universities for not promoting the STEM programs, but instead tacidly encouraging idiot students for taking degrees in basket weaving or potty training. H1B visas are primarily used by industries to increase the supply of labor of a certain field to lower wages/salaries, especially if they aggressively recruit people from developing nations, such as India. An equally talented European worker would not accept the job without a decent benefits package and pay, the Indian would most likely think any benefits package and pay is much better than what they have now
Corporate America creates job descriptions, education and experience qualifications and establishes compensation based on supply and demand. VISA employees are paid no different than their U.S. counterparts and get the same benefits.

Students who are drawn to non- technical degrees are not likely or capable of pursuing technical degrees. This does not make them idiots.

I see nothing wrong with global recruiting of the best and brightest the world has to offer. If anything, this select group can and will command better compensation than less qualified people.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

That's all fine and good as anecdotal information goes but...

What H1B employee is going to initiate a discrimination suit when the company effectively controls their visa?
Global employers compete for the best and brightest. They know what they are worth in the open global market.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Was Sen Dick Durbin making this up or just lying when he stated:
Spoiler

"Our bill would require that before an employer may hire an H -1B worker, the employer must first advertise the job opening to American workers for 30 days on the Department of Labor Web site."
"Some companies that abuse the H -1B visa program are so brazen, they say “no Americans need apply†in their job advertisements. Hundreds of such ads have been posted on line. They say things such as “H -1B visa holders only†or “we require candidates for H -1B from India.†Is that what we have in mind, to create this perverse discrimination against American workers?"

"The legislation we have introduced would overhaul the H -1B program, protecting American workers first, and stopping H -1Bs from being exploited as outsourcing visas."
Durbin should have a discussion about H-1B's with Hilary Clinton. At the initial stages of her 2007 campaign she delivered a talk to Silicon Valley execs stating that the U.S. needed to increase its H-1B imports for technical workers.

Research > Clinton, H1B, Guptka, private jet, IT, India

Old 03-07-2013, 08:48 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Global employers compete for the best and brightest. They know what they are worth in the open global market.
Explain why programming salaries are flat?

Explain why experienced American programmers are unemployed?

Old 03-07-2013, 08:52 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Explain why programming salaries are flat? Explain why experienced American programmers are unemployed?
You said they have been flat for 20 years, but I have no clue what you are talking about. Do you have a link to prove it? I have been in the field for over 20 years, and I simply do not see what you are talking about. It is true that 2000-2010 the salary growth was slow, but that applied to every sector and has nothing to do with H1B, but with the way the economy had been going in general. In 1990 - 2000 IT salaries were going through the roof, and that was the peak of the H1B season.

Median salary for a Software Engineer is 91K, and in 1993 that would have been nowhere near the median.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-07-2013 at 09:01 AM..

Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 AM

The price of everything is directly related to the cost of production.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Explain why programming salaries are flat?

Explain why experienced American programmers are unemployed?
Programming and manufacturing have much in common. Both sectors have changed over time as lower cost producers and advances in technology have occured.

Code generators/compilers/optimizers have made programming more efficient.

Programming is one of the most common IT functions to outsource to the lowest cost producers.

Bottomline, no one is going to pay more for a product so that a U.S. worker can make more.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 AM

29,491 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The price of everything is directly related to the cost of production.
Depends on the commodity. In automotive, production is only about 10% which is sort of funny because the media makes it sound like all those high paid production jobs is what was killing the Detroit 3.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:18 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I work in rf engineering, and I'm American born and breed. However many, if not most, of the colleagues I work with are native of foreign countries on H1B. There aren't enough folks here in this country that know this line of work. So yeah, we need the immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies