Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want China to fail?
Yes, I don't want them to pass us at anything. 8 26.67%
No, it's only natural for them to pass us in a global economy. 9 30.00%
Not sure if they'll ever pass us, they may pop as Japan did. 9 30.00%
Other. 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 06:47 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I want China to become a free country that respects freedom and human rights. So I don't want China to fail but I wouldn't mind seeing the current Chinese government fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I don't want anyone or any nation to fail. With economic success comes demands for liberty. With destitution comes desperation (see North Korea).

Both of your comments pretty much sums it up for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 07:11 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
I don't want anyone or any nation to fail. With economic success comes demands for liberty. With destitution comes desperation (see North Korea).
Exactly. As they become stronger economically, the people are going to demand adequate wages, political representation, etc. There is nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:49 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
There is already evidence of that occurring in parts of China. Wages have risen (although slight and slow), and demand (economic) has pushed the gov't to increase housing standards as well as living/working conditions.

However, I'm not really that worried about a country who's GDP is still 2.8x smaller than the U.S.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:25 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Pretty impressive responses I must say; from the posts I typically see on this site in respects to China, it seems as if people want to see them fail as a country but not in this thread. China could be good for the Eastern World while the we stay good for the Western World, the only thing I foresee in the future is a Cold War 2 but this time between China/Russia and the West; how do you guys think that scenario will turn out? The West needs to get out of this debt crisis we have now and get on the roll again, with GPD's growing at 2% or even shrinking, China is catching up quickly to us in respects to GDP only, even if they do pass us economically I know it's still the same ol' China that produces cheap goods (95% of the time anyways), has humanity issues, and doesn't care for its people's social needs.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:16 AM

567 posts, read 1,120,160 times
I worry what will happen to our hard-fought Western/Enlightenment principles. For example, "Rule of Law" and "Freedom of Expression." Things like that. Yeah, I know we continually fall short of them, and I know our direct attempts to impose them on non-Westerners have led mostly to folly and tragedy. But still, they are indispensable. I would also include advances made in human rights and the welfare state in advanced nations since the end of WWII, as slippery as things have gotten since the late 70s.

I get the impression that the hardcore Chinese nationalist shills you see here and there on the internet think it's all a bunch of silly decadent fluff to be dispensed with once and for all once China becomes A-1. They seem an arrogant, haughty bunch, and I suspect more than a few of them get a couple of Yuan for every troll post they make out on the English-speaking interwebz. As for the Chinese ruling elite, someone once said "the only things they believe in are booze, hookers, and karaoke." Well, there are worse starting points than those, I guess.

I expressed my anxieties to a friend whose family is from over there and I asked "what's going to happen?" Her answer: "they don't even know."

Last edited by MetalLord; 03-09-2013 at 10:30 AM..

Old 03-09-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
A world that has rendered the market driven economy obsolete, were automation and technical advancement generate huge amounts of goods and services that can simply given away to any one who needs them. A world were prices, wages and money become a thing of the past. A world where you work like an artist or scientist not because you need to but because you like doing art or science. A world were we work as a team or one happy collective! In the mid 19th Century a man called Marx studied what might come after Capitalism had run its cource and had driven technology to its end point.
Yeah, and back in the 50s everyone thought we'd have flying cars and resort hotels on Venus by now. We don't have those things, and neither will Utopian Communism come to pass. Even Lenin ditched that teleological terminus of Karl's fantasy pretty early on.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
With economic success comes demands for liberty.
Demands for better material conditions (wages, consumer goods, etc.), maybe. More abstract liberties, maybe, maybe not.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:48 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
I wish China all the best. Actually, I wish every nation all the best. We need to get our house in order and make sure we are selling things to the Chinese and protecting our intellectual property here at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies