Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 11:34 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,299,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What makes you think we had it any easier? Fresh out of nursing school, Nixon slapped on wage and price controls in 1971. Next was the "energy crisis" of 1973. There was the mortgage interest crisis of the early 80s, with interest on a home lone at 18%. Several more energy crises. Black something day in 1987, me with a 3 month old baby to support. Gimme a break! No on ever had it easy!
But they're special.
And it's our fault that the world isn't going their way.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:35 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,270,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I wouldn't mind doing that. Problem is I don't have any connections. It's not what you know but who you know with those kinds of jobs.
Bwahahaha. Actually, no... All you have to do is walk in and talk to the manager. We aren't talking about a posh job, we are talking about waiting tables.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:36 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,129,287 times
Quote:
How does anyone do it? Some examples.

1) Start a business. For example on Ebay. If you make a profit, they will take most of your money away in fees to the point it's not even worth the time put into listing and shipping. Or take out a loan and open up a place, and fail because nobody can afford your service in this economy.

2) Go to college. Only everyone goes to college so you are likely not to get a job for it, and you're left in servitude paying off your student loan debt. There are plenty of people still paying off their loans from the 1980s.

3) If you're lucky enough to find a job, most of them pay barely over minimum wage. Perhaps enough to share an apartment with a friend or partner, but by no means enough to start a family. The work is also more often than not very mundane and stressful, usually retail or cold calling.

I don't think this is justified in a country with so many resources. There needs to be a structural change. I'm 23 years old and I feel like my generation born in the 1980s/1990s has little hope of being more than debt serfs.
4) Whine a lot and blame everyone else for your problems...

-----

1) Only someone with a VERY solid business plan would try to start a business using eBay as the foundation. You're competing with the ENTIRE WORLD, and as you mentioned, the fees are very high. Try to be more original.

2) Since when is college supposed to guarantee you anything? If you don't see the value in it, don't spend your time and money. Your choice.

3) Welcome to the real world. Did you really expect a corner office and a six figure income at 23? Over in the C-D business forum, there's a 24 year old kid complaining that he hadn't made his first million yet. What is it with you guys? Is this the result of getting "participation trophies" or something? Man up.

Epilogue) You said it yourself. This country has a lot of resources. Take advantage of them, be smart, be original and do something productive. Create value - that is what people pay for. Nobody's going to make you rich simply because you think you deserve it.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
What I see is that the goalposts have been moved.

Would Gen-Y start out with a 10 year old used car ?
Would Gen-Y aspire to own a 40 year old 2 bedroom home in a solid working class community ?

I think Gen-Y has different aspirations and expectations for that "starting out" phase.
And when it doesn't just "happen" someone needs to be blamed.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:39 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,296,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Bwahahaha. Actually, no... All you have to do is walk in and talk to the manager. We aren't talking about a posh job, we are talking about waiting tables.
You can't get a job like that without facebook-ing the establishment, tweeting about their opportunities, then e-mailing the info@mcdonalds.com contact us address demanding to be hired. Because this isn't the 1990's anymore, dooooooode.

I also forgot you have to "like" them before you e-mail them. Very important step and you can't get anywhere in the interview process without liking their facebook page first.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:40 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,146,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Would Gen-Y aspire to own a 40 year old 2 bedroom home in a solid working class community ?

I think Gen-Y has different aspirations and expectations for that "starting out" phase.
My first house cost less than a new car... a real "fixer-upper".

Old 03-14-2013, 11:41 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,830,564 times
Quote:
Geeze..logic should tell you that someone working 30 years longer than someone else would have more wealth. You want all ages to have the same level of wealth..the 65 year old and the 35 year old ?

You need to find another country because the US isn't what you want.
Did you read the paragraph after the one you bolded?

Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,780,051 times
Quote:

I don't own [MOD CUT/language] aside from my cheap $200 laptop. I just think there's something wrong with a society where there are so many resources yet so many people have either no time or no money. And no they're not all just lazy. Some of them have disabilities, some don't have the luxury of having family and friends who can vouch for them, some of them are simply unlucky.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-15-2013 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: bypassing the profanity filter

Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,467,970 times
Quote:
How does anyone do it? Some examples.

1) Start a business. For example on Ebay. If you make a profit, they will take most of your money away in fees to the point it's not even worth the time put into listing and shipping. Or take out a loan and open up a place, and fail because nobody can afford your service in this economy.

2) Go to college. Only everyone goes to college so you are likely not to get a job for it, and you're left in servitude paying off your student loan debt. There are plenty of people still paying off their loans from the 1980s.

3) If you're lucky enough to find a job, most of them pay barely over minimum wage. Perhaps enough to share an apartment with a friend or partner, but by no means enough to start a family. The work is also more often than not very mundane and stressful, usually retail or cold calling.

I don't think this is justified in a country with so many resources. There needs to be a structural change. I'm 23 years old and I feel like my generation born in the 1980s/1990s has little hope of being more than debt serfs.
Well, you're not going to want to hear this but your generation does not work as hard, study as hard, or take as much responsibility for themselves as previous generations.

I'm sorry, I know that's insulting, but's simply the truth. My wife is getting a graduate degree in nontraditional education now and that is precisely what they are studying. They have surveyed employers and found the employers don't like generation y employees because their work ethic is noticeably lower. And teaching methods that used to be effective are producing lower test scores as the students do not pay as much attention in class and do not put as much effort into homework or studying.

It's not generation y's fault. They're human beings like everyone else. But the culture they have grown up in is an entitlement culture. The primary factor they have found in success for generation y is motivation. They expect school and work to be fun - they expect their teachers and supervisors to motivate them, instead of expecting to provide their own motivation to do the work.

And I'm sure young people and liberals reading this are going to immediately get insulted and angry but I'm not asserting my opinion here. This is stuff I've read in my wife's graduate courses in education. They are specifically developing ways for teachers to entertain and motivate millenial/generation y students because they simply aren't arriving at the school and workplace with their own work ethic.

If I was just giving my own opinion, I'd say forget accomodating peoples' lack of motivation and altering the school and work environment to suit them, all that does is enable the lack of work ethic when they should be fixing it. I personally find the Occupy protesters wanting their student loans forgiven to be pathetic, and I don't see it as coincidence that this lack of taking responsibility for oneself coincides with the dramatic increase of teachers being Democrats. So personally I completely disagree with the direction education is going today. However, I do agree on one thing and this that it isn't generation y's fault. They can't help the way they were raised.

Of course the tough economy plays a big part, but that economy effects everyone. When it comes to why things are tough specifically for generation y, and also of course it only applies in general terms and to any given individual, it's because generation y is at a competitive disadvantage against other generations.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,296,330 times
Quote:
I don't own [MOD CUT/language] aside from my cheap $200 laptop. I just think there's something wrong with a society where there are so many resources yet so many people have either no time or no money. And no they're not all just lazy. Some of them have disabilities, some don't have the luxury of having family and friends who can vouch for them, some of them are simply unlucky.
Moving goalposts some more?

What about IT jobs that go to GenYers more than GenXers due to age?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-15-2013 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: edited quted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies