Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:47 PM

787 posts, read 1,415,504 times

Advertisements

Republican U.S. Sen. Rob Portman on Thursday announced he has reversed his longtime opposition to same-sex marriage after reconsidering the issue because his 21-year-old son, Will, is gay. Portman said his son, a junior at Yale University, told him and his wife, Jane, that he's gay and "it was not a choice, it was who he is and that he had been that way since he could remember."

"It allowed me to think of this issue from a new perspective, and that's of a Dad who loves his son a lot and wants him to have the same opportunities that his brother and sister would have -- to have a relationship like Jane and I have had for over 26 years," Portman told reporters in an interview at his office.

Sen. Rob Portman comes out in favor of gay marriage after son comes out as gay | cleveland.com

What a mensch.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:53 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Generally not a fan of his, but good for Portman.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:53 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Glad he changed his mind

Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Generally not a fan of his, but good for Portman.
Same here.

It's too bad, though, that he couldn't come to that conclusion when it was other people being affected by the anti-marriage equality laws and that he waited until his own family was affected by it personally before having his own epiphany.

But, hey! I'm glad he did, even if it did happen the way it did.

I'm looking forward to more and more conservatives coming around and being willing to do the right and fair thing, too, for whatever reasons (political, personal.......I really don't care.......as long as it happens).

Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,134,063 times
He could let his son be and stop using him, for gain. If one has a belief or understanding in life, its not wise to drag family members out into the square, in order to convince the thought understandings are genuine. ( groping...thats pleading, thats not a posit out of any thought as suggested. Thats trickery, a typical politician.

Last edited by stargazzer; 03-14-2013 at 11:58 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 01:04 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
He could let his son be and stop using him, for gain. If one has a belief or understanding in life, its not wise to drag family members out into the square, in order to convince the thought understandings are genuine. ( groping...thats pleading, thats not a posit out of any thought as suggested. Thats trickery, a typical politician.
You make a good point, but perhaps he felt adding a personal touch to his proclamation would convince others in his party to come around on the issue also. I also doubt he would use his son's name publicly without his permission beforehand.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:24 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,134,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You make a good point, but perhaps he felt adding a personal touch to his proclamation would convince others in his party to come around on the issue also. I also doubt he would use his son's name publicly without his permission beforehand.
I know, and understand what your saying. ..I just have an approach that is outside of feelings on issues of ethic and
a human beings right 'to be'..without a needed justification in a required personal touch. You guys may have seen my comments away from gay and so on....but I always made the point the movement is my objection, not the individual and the freedom to be. So if he 'thinks... people or the party needs to as u say come around...for my thinking he's confused because its a matter of ethic which is immovable with repects to feelings and all that....they should all have a more solid view where this is at, and don't believe ive ever heard any politician express a sound and workable approach which would be a good and a positive.....they seem wishy washy. (the right)..(edit- right minded but notice this communicating problem. The marriage idea in my opinion should be right across the board but itemized Gay Marriage and aligned however with the new idea.

Last edited by stargazzer; 03-15-2013 at 04:08 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 04:38 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,245,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
Republican U.S. Sen. Rob Portman on Thursday announced he has reversed his longtime opposition to same-sex marriage after reconsidering the issue because his 21-year-old son, Will, is gay. Portman said his son, a junior at Yale University, told him and his wife, Jane, that he's gay and "it was not a choice, it was who he is and that he had been that way since he could remember."

"It allowed me to think of this issue from a new perspective, and that's of a Dad who loves his son a lot and wants him to have the same opportunities that his brother and sister would have -- to have a relationship like Jane and I have had for over 26 years," Portman told reporters in an interview at his office.

Sen. Rob Portman comes out in favor of gay marriage after son comes out as gay | cleveland.com

What a mensch.
Welp, there goes the R party down the tubes.

Great Moments in One Liner History - Goldfinger - YouTube

Old 03-15-2013, 05:01 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Well now he's a media darling, so typical. Anything to further their sick agenda.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:24 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times
I get a kick out of some straight folk that believe that since the freaky stuff they do is ok because it's with a woman...

I wonder if God will say "You and Suzy Rottencrotch did some things that technically crossed the line, but since you're straight...COME ON IN..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies