Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,790,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Sometimes, no matter what you do, you just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time--it's not the fault of the victim. Look at what's gone on in India in the last few months--the young medical student gang raped on a bus, and the Swiss tourist raped when she was camping with her husband. Is it their fault for riding a public bus or sleeping in a tent?
5 men confess to gang-raping Swiss tourist in India - CNN.com
Not really a fair comparison -- there is a huge difference between riding a public bus and being skantily-clad and passed out at an drunken orgy. Personal and parental responsibility is certainly an issue in the latter but not to much with someone riding on a bus or sober and sleeping in a tent.

It's not right maybe but any parent really does need to teach and protect their young daughters so they can help safeguard against this kind of thing because unfortunately no matter what -- as long as there are parents who liquor up and their sons and fail to supervise them, it's never going to be safe for a girl in short-shorts to pass out at this kind of party, but it can be made safe for women to ride on buses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 11:34 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,220,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
See post #61, above.

Yes, it's a violent crime. So, like all other violent crimes, it can be dealt with to some degree by social regulation (the old-fashioned Mayberry way) or in default by police methods. Again, I'm not advocating this position, simply speculating about its intellectual origins, but I suspect that many conservatives prefer to maximize social regulation and minimize state regulation.

If chaperoning all young girls, requiring them to wear long dresses and never leave the house alone, is only a sort of solution, another sort of solution would be full-scale Orwellian police surveillance of the population, the other extreme. Neither is a very appetizing alternative, I think.
I think the more effective social regulation is to teach kids that rape is a crime and that you're responsible for your actions, no matter what--it's not about being overcome with passion, and that the girl is asking for it if she doesn't take precautions. If some think that the alternative is to lock girls away or cover them up, then what happens when you're at the beach, or when you're home alone with a girl or alone with her on a date? Is it ok to rape her then? The logic doesn't work.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:37 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,196,877 times
I believe that the players should have been convicted from what has been revealed. These young people need to know that this is wrong. The girl was unconscious. And for young women, they need to learn to be extremely careful. These types of parties are really inappropriate for high school students.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,790,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrow2 View Post
Yaa, no wait that is just stupid. These boys pulled it out and did what they did. Sorry you have to be responsible for what you do I don't give a rats ass what age you are.
Probably because of the alcohol and drugs and total lack of supervison that some adult provided them. They were underage, so where did the alcohol come from?

There are a great number of kids whose high school years weren't spent in parties like this one. Whatever happened to the idea of adults chaperoning their children's parties? Making sure that nothing gets out of control? Or a girl's parents speaking with the adult who will be supevising that party and asking some questions? Isn't that what normal parents just do?

I think the boys should be sent to prison for the rest of their lives because they've crossed that line and are rapists but to prevent this for other kids, I believe more needs to be done about parents who neglect their children.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,975,479 times
Parants can be heal civilally liable for the actios of the children;just not criminally has we do not beleive in such guilt by association.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:40 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,220,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not really a fair comparison -- there is a huge difference between riding a public bus and being skantily-clad and passed out at an drunken orgy. Personal and parental responsibility is certainly an issue in the latter but not to much with someone riding on a bus or sober and sleeping in a tent.

It's not right maybe but any parent really does need to teach and protect their young daughters so they can help safeguard against this kind of thing because unfortunately no matter what -- as long as there are parents who liquor up and their sons and fail to supervise them, it's never going to be safe for a girl in short-shorts to pass out at this kind of party, but it can be made safe for women to ride on buses.
She was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. If she plays volleyball or basketball, do you think she's asking for it by wearing her uniform? What about when she's in a swimsuit? You guys seem to think that anytime kids have a party it's some kind of "drunken orgy." I'm grateful that my kids don't drink, and that teenage drinking isn't acceptable in my community, but lots around the country do. I was in college in the late 70s when the drinking age in my state was 18, and that's what kids did--they had parties and got drunk. They weren't orgies then, and they're not orgies now. The expectation isn't that everyone is going to collapse on the floor and have sex, or even that you're going to hook up with someone in one of the bedrooms. You have a situation where a group of kids had a party, just like every party that they have on every Friday night, but at this one they took advantage and attacked a girl who had passed out and couldn't protect herself.

Do you honestly think they wouldn't have raped her if she was wearing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt that covered up her arms?

Last edited by mb1547; 03-17-2013 at 11:52 AM..

Old 03-17-2013, 11:41 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,666,312 times
Quote:
Oh, yes! Parts of Toronto, for that matter, where south-Asian immigration is significant. And as a way to avoid the sort of situation in Steubenville it leaves much to be desired - but as I said above, it is a sort of solution. Hard for a girl to be raped if she's never allowed to leave the house without a male family member.

(Unless of course, she's raped by a male family member)
Also hard for her to go to school.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:46 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,175,830 times
Quote:
Maybe we should just simply ban driving licenses for anyone under 18 - how much trouble is caused because kids are mobile and therefore mostly independent of their parents' supervision?
Parents are responsible for their children until they are 18. THAT is the law. If they are incapable of supervising their children properly then they must accept the consequences of their lack of parenting skills. Just because a child is old enough to drive does not give parents the right to abrogate their responsibilities to society.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-17-2013, 11:48 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,175,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It's still inexcusable, and punishable, but the boys were charged with putting their fingers in her - not their willies.
What is wrong with this world? When I was a kid boys were always sticking their fingers where they didn't belong. It was considered FUNNY by all parties. Nobody ran to their mommies and cried RAPE. We are becoming a nation of cry babies.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-17-2013, 11:50 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,619,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What is wrong with this world? When I was a kid boys were always sticking their fingers where they didn't belong. It was considered FUNNY by all parties. Nobody ran to their mommies and cried RAPE. We are becoming a nation of cry babies.

20yrsinBranson
Are you trying to be funny here or are you actually admitting to being a rapist? To being raped? What?

Last edited by helenejen; 03-17-2013 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies