Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 07:49 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
1) To repeat, Dr. Krugman was not advocating either and your own link confirms that.
I posted the link. I think those who read it and know the recent history of Argentina and their economic crises of a decade ago can understand that is what Krugman was predicting for Latvia. He is wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argenti...9%E2%80%932002)

Quote:
2) Latvia is growing huh? True, it is growing from where it fell off the cliff...
Imagine that. Latvia's debt to GDP ratio is now falling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:53 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Latvia is in the lucky situation that it still has its own currency...

Old 03-18-2013, 07:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Latvia is in the lucky situation that it still has its own currency...
Yes but they haven't resorted to devaluing it like Krugman predicted they would have to do.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Cyprus doesn't insure deposits and in fact its main attraction is that it doesn't report banking information to any other countries thus why it is one of the banking locations of choice for Russian mobsters, South American drug dealers, corrupt dictators, American billionaire tax cheats, and just about everyone else who is corrupt and wants to hide their ill gotten gains.
I'm not sure stealing from those kind of people, rich powerful corrupt criminals, will not come with painful consequences.

I'm so sorry for the the average people who have been saving all their lives to have this happen. These are the people who do have insured accounts, just believing they were doing the safe thing by keeping their hard earned money in a savings account. This is just sickening.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:06 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Scary crap isn't it. Stealing money from the people right out of there bank accounts. Notice how you have to go to Zero Hedge to find news like this. Not a word from our MSM. Just another reason I don't waste my time with them.

But the idiots in this forum can care less about this stuff, it's way above there comprehension level.

I was going through the threads and every subject is really stupid, not even worth responding to.
I'm going to reserve judgement until Jay Carney comments about it If Obama says this is okay, then it must be a non-issue, which is why the mainstream media would have ignored it.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:09 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I'm not sure stealing from those kind of people, rich powerful corrupt criminals, will not come with painful consequences.

I'm so sorry for the the average people who have been saving all their lives to have this happen. These are the people who do have insured accounts, just believing they were doing the safe thing by keeping their hard earned money in a savings account. This is just sickening.
I mean if you're a politician would you rather upset an elderly widow or some Russian gangster that can think of a whole host of imaginative ways to kill you?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

I find it amazing that Cyprus has not been kicked out of the EU, yet, since its shady banking mess is no secret.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:17 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
What's the difference except "partial one time dispossession" sounds nicer? It's a one time "donation" at the end of a gun. If they're willing to go that far what would make one think they wouldn't go farther later on? More to the point, if it doesn't ignite a violent response from the public wouldn't that give others the idea that they could get away with it?

This could very well light a fire of bank runs in other troubled countries with ripples all the way to our economy. Anyone with half a brain in these countries has got to be thinking "hmmm, I'll bet our leaders have thought about the same solution, they're not going to take mine".
Once one country breaks this cardinal rule and gets away with it you can bet others will look seriously at doing the same thing kind of like a rolling blackout.

This is going to fuel the fears of the already afraid, validate those that think we're already doomed and further enrich the gun/ammo/emergency food industry causing many of the people who were once on the fence to tip over and join the fray.
While the odds of confiscation of U.S. accounts are slim to none the psychological effects of what's going on in Cyprus (especially if it spreads to other countries) on the population here could be very bad.
Gonna be a bumpy ride for a few days/weeks.
Good post.

Anything is possible, especially when there is very little trust in our government at this time. With the combination of lack of trust in the government and the "fear" that may overcome people, we could see a slow, light bank run.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:19 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I mean if you're a politician would you rather upset an elderly widow or some Russian gangster that can think of a whole host of imaginative ways to kill you?
The Russian mobsters and their billions will be hit the hardest as far as the amounts seized. That's the bread and butter of all this. The little old ladies have to put in too of course. We can't only punish the criminals. Otherwise they would tax only the uninsured accounts, but this scheme is equal opportunity.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I find it amazing that Cyprus has not been kicked out of the EU, yet, since its shady banking mess is no secret.
Because no country can be "kicked out". A country has to leave on it's own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies