Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 03:52 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

I'll never understand the Democrats whine non stop about the cost of college, and how expensive it is, but then demand we spend more money on education.

Could it be because Democrats dont mind demanding other people pay for crap, long as they get their freebies?

Education is a great example.. We spend an average of $30K per student to education kids in school, Democratic answer, we need to spend more...

D.C. Public Schools Spend Almost $30,000 Per Student | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News Blog from The Heritage Foundation

But lets discuss college, and $15K, one hears waaa, waaa, waaa.. thats too much..

What Is the Average College Tuition? | eHow

hypocrites..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 04:04 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'll never understand the Democrats whine non stop about the cost of college, and how expensive it is, but then demand we spend more money on education.

Could it be because Democrats dont mind demanding other people pay for crap, long as they get their freebies?

Education is a great example.. We spend an average of $30K per student to education kids in school, Democratic answer, we need to spend more...

D.C. Public Schools Spend Almost $30,000 Per Student | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News Blog from The Heritage Foundation

But lets discuss college, and $15K, one hears waaa, waaa, waaa.. thats too much..

hypocrites..
You're just figuring this out? The basic difference between dems and reps is one expects others to pay for what they want and the other expects able bodied people to pay their own way. I'm a republican because I want the right to earn a living and support myself (if the government takes too much from me I can't do that) NOT hand outs. Dems want the hand outs. **

You are very correct. Dems want someone else to pay their way. College tuition is the first time they're asked to do that. I will admit it is high. Too high. I support programs like student loans because the person will pay it back. I don't agree with grants based on income. Financial aid should be based on the income you expect to have when you graduate not what your parents have now. I don't think the amount of student loans a child has should be determined by what their parents did. It should be determined by their ability to pay back the loan post graduation. I think the primary form of government help for higher education should be loans that are paid back by the student not hand outs. If we did it this way, we'd eventually reach the point where payments into the system were paying for current students and they in turn would pay into the system post graduation and contribute to paying for the next batch of students. My experience as a student was that most of the kids who didn't have to work for their educations really didn't appreciate their educations.

IMO, we should get rid of grants and offer all students who want them, low interest student loans with no interest until a reasonable time after they graduate. Just because YOUR PARENTS have money doesn't mean they are willing to spend it on your education. Kids have no control over their parent's money. I was locked out of going to school at 18 because my biological father, who paid less than $20/week in child support for me (even though his income drastically increased from the time I was a baby until I was 18, my mom was afraid of what he'd do if she took him to court so she never had it adjusted. (He was bipolar and could become violent)) made too much money. The problem was he had no intention of helping me get through school. Why was I locked out of student loans? I didn't ask for a hand out. I asked for a hand up. I was more than willing to pay it back. Yet someone whose father didn't pay that $20/week would have gone to school for free on government grants. You see I grew up poor. My mom and step dad eeked out a living. My father worked in an automotive plant making union scale.

Just get rid of all forms of aid besides loans. Fund that one program and make it available to all who want it. This would be cheaper in the long run and anyone who wanted to go to school could go to school. I am so very lucky I got to go to school. I ended up going to a community college, which I paid for on charge cards with 25% interest, when I was 25 and my grades there earned me a transfer scholarship that allowed me to finish school. That charge card debt almost cost me finishing even with a free ride to finish because I lacked the income to make the payments. It took me three years to pay off that debt after I graduated and I couldn't get any credit for several years because it was a mess. I'd do it again in a heartbeat because it was what I needed to do but why did I have to go through that because my father made too much money? I'm not my father, there is no law that says parents who can pay must pay and I don't control his money.

**Disclaimer: That is not to say that reps don't think the poor should be taken care of. I have no problem taking care of the poor but I expect able bodied poor to work for what they get and to work to get off of the rolls. Programs like welfare and WIC should be temporary. I don't have a problem with a mom and her children being on WIC. I have a problem with her staying on WIC and refusing to get a job. If you're in welfare while you work towards the goal of becoming self supporting, I'm right there with you. If you just want to collect a check, I think we should find you a job to report to and require you to report to it to get your check even if that job is giving you a broom and dustpan and having you pick up trash like they do in amusement parks.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-21-2013 at 04:29 AM..

Old 09-21-2013, 04:07 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
I don't know about other Democrats, but the money isn't being spent the way I would like for it to be spent. Here in GA, each teacher gets $100 for the year to spend on supplies. Personally, I think she needs $500 because I don't think she should be spending her own money for her classroom.

I think money should be spent on making sure that the materials remain in good shape (desks, chairs, computers, etc.), common supplies (copy paper, ink, construction paper, etc.), and doing a deep cleaning at least 2 a year.

If we get the businesses, parents, and politicians out of the school system and have teachers (not administrators) create a nationwide curriculum, we would be able to make the starting salary of a teacher $50k.

Regarding college, the only reason I think tuition, housing, or meal plans should increase is if the school is expanding. Again, the money isn't spent the way it should. You have professors and administrators making 6-figures when they don't deserve it.

Republicans are hypocrites, too. You want less government, but you want to tell me whether or not I can get an abortion. You tell women to give the child up for adoption, but I have yet to meet a pro-lifer that has adopted a child. You don't want to talk about sex ed in school, but red states have the highest teen pregnancy rates (even though teen pregnancies are on the decline).

Old 09-21-2013, 04:22 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
It don't help when someone drops 100k for a womens studies degree and ends up the dole.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:27 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

hypocrites..
What are you ranting about, university tuition or public school systems? The public schools have bloated admin expenses and I doubt that DC is any different. With universities, public funding has decreased over the past 30 years, so of course it is more expensive than it used to be, but that is a state issue. Tuition used to cover about 15-20% of the cost, but it is closer to 50% now.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:46 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I don't know about other Democrats, but the money isn't being spent the way I would like for it to be spent. Here in GA, each teacher gets $100 for the year to spend on supplies. Personally, I think she needs $500 because I don't think she should be spending her own money for her classroom.

I think money should be spent on making sure that the materials remain in good shape (desks, chairs, computers, etc.), common supplies (copy paper, ink, construction paper, etc.), and doing a deep cleaning at least 2 a year.

If we get the businesses, parents, and politicians out of the school system and have teachers (not administrators) create a nationwide curriculum, we would be able to make the starting salary of a teacher $50k.

Regarding college, the only reason I think tuition, housing, or meal plans should increase is if the school is expanding. Again, the money isn't spent the way it should. You have professors and administrators making 6-figures when they don't deserve it.

Republicans are hypocrites, too. You want less government, but you want to tell me whether or not I can get an abortion. You tell women to give the child up for adoption, but I have yet to meet a pro-lifer that has adopted a child. You don't want to talk about sex ed in school, but red states have the highest teen pregnancy rates (even though teen pregnancies are on the decline).
did you just refer to all teachers as "she?" also, teachers start at $50k per year where I live.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:48 AM

if you gave the LWNJ's the "free" education they want, they'll complain about something else. spoiled little brats they are. if they made public state colleges tuition free for state residents, they would start whining about being entitled to free private school tuition.

liberalism. RIP

Old 09-21-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
did you just refer to all teachers as "she?" also, teachers start at $50k per year where I live.

According to the salary data linked below, that must mean you live in the district of Columbia or New Jersey and both are high cost of living areas. Everything is relative. A $50K starting salary here in Michigan would be very good. With two masters degrees, I'll get a raise to $50K a month after I start my 5th year teaching in the district and I'm in an affluent district that pays a lot better than most.

According to the NEA, the average starting salary for a teacher in the nation was less than $36K in 2011/2012. Only one area started over $50K and that is the district of Columbia. New Jersey was close coming in at over $48K. The rest are much lower so we can assume they haven't taken a massive jump to get to a starting salary of $50K in one year.

I'm amazed with the cost of living in California that they aren't above $50K for a starting salary. OUCH.

NEA - 2011-2012 Average Starting Teacher Salaries by State

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-21-2013 at 05:17 AM..

Old 09-21-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
According to the salary data linked below, that must mean you live in the district of Columbia or New Jersey and both are high cost of living areas. Everything is relative.

According to the NEA, the average starting salary for a teacher in the nation was just over $35K in 2011/2012. Only one area started over $50K and that is the district of Columbia. New Jersey was close coming in at over $48K. The rest are much lower.

NEA - 2011-2012 Average Starting Teacher Salaries by State
I live in maryland. what I stated is true, and not "debate" about a cost of living can change the FACT that teachers make plenty of money around here. you think landscapers make $50k here?

Old 09-21-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
if you gave the LWNJ's the "free" education they want, they'll complain about something else. spoiled little brats they are. if they made public state colleges tuition free for state residents, they would start whining about being entitled to free private school tuition.

liberalism. RIP
That they would.

I don't want to see free college but I would like to see only one form of financial aid and that is loans and anyone who wants one should be able to get one. Loans should be based on the student's ability to pay them back after they graduate NOT the parents current income. Just because parents can pay for college doesn't mean they will and the student has no control over their parent's money. Do away with grants and give anyone who wants it a student loan. We shouldn't be using parent's income do determine eligibility. The cost of an education should be the students. If they get help, they get help but until there is a law on the books that forces parents to pay for a child's education, we need to quit punishing kids whose parents can but don't want to pay for their education. Make student loans automatic. Make the payments automatic too. Take it out of a paycheck like taxes once the student has been out of school for a year.

I registered for college at 18 and then found I couldn't even get a loan because my biological father (who paid less than $20/week in child support) made too much money. The problem is, he wasn't about to spend a dime of it on my education. I was screwed. I worked odd jobs for 7 years before I had good enough credit to get a charge card and start going to school. I would have had to have stopped at an associates degree had I not been awarded a full transfer scholarship but the charge card debt I amassed in community college almost stopped me anyway. I had to take a year off of school in the middle to get my debt situation straightened out. Fortunately, the school was understanding. They helped me find a job that counted as co-op credit and held my scholarship for me so I could return the next year. I am forever grateful for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies