Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,495,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Here we give the poor Section 8 housing that can be over 2000 sq ft and over $1000 a month. Some poor have smaller houses.

Section 8 is limited to a metro area's median rent. If you have a voucher you can use it to rent a 2000 sq ft house over $1000 a month, but you have to pay everything over the median rent for the size of your household. (if you have one kid, that would be the median rent for a 2BR, not more than that)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Probably in most other western countries. Plenty of help here, for those willing to help themselves.

What help is there for a childless burger flipper earning minimum wage?

(no food stamps, no TANF, no Medicaid, etc)

Old 03-19-2013, 03:29 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,216,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Someone on a minimum wage salary pays no income tax. That is a pretty huge help. Also, that person has the personal freedom to go after any job they want.

As we have told you 50 times before, stop complaining and find another job if you don't like your situation.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:34 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,133,380 times
Quote:

(no food stamps, no TANF, no Medicaid, etc)
A childless burger flipper can work two or three jobs or go to school.

They can rent and live on a couch. Done that before.

They can sacrifice all sorts of things to make more money.

Depending on the city/state they CAN get housing support and other help that wont necessarily be monetary.

Does it suck? Not as much as being poor.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Someone on a minimum wage salary pays no income tax. That is a pretty huge help. Also, that person has the personal freedom to go after any job they want.

As we have told you 50 times before, stop complaining and find another job if you don't like your situation.

(scratching head)

A childless full time minimum wage worker pays over $500 a year in federal income tax, plus over $1000 in payroll taxes, with no tax credits available.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
A childless burger flipper can work two or three jobs or go to school.

They can rent and live on a couch. Done that before.

They can sacrifice all sorts of things to make more money.

Depending on the city/state they CAN get housing support and other help that wont necessarily be monetary.

Does it suck? Not as much as being poor.

Did the two or three job gig, lost one job when I was scheduled to be at two jobs at the same time on a holiday. And how do you work two or three jobs without a car?

Old 03-19-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
(scratching head)

A childless full time minimum wage worker pays over $500 a year in federal income tax, plus over $1000 in payroll taxes, with no tax credits available.
That isn't true at all. If you are paying taxes, then you will get them all back at the end of the year. Change your withholding status. The person in the lowest quintile (less than $14.5k per year) is actually paid by the government. Are you really complaining about having a negative effective tax rate?

Old 03-19-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Did the two or three job gig, lost one job when I was scheduled to be at two jobs at the same time on a holiday. And how do you work two or three jobs without a car?
You sell some of your $11,000 in possessions and pay off the parking tickets that you have previously said you refuse to pay. Then you actually get the drivers license that you refuse to get. Then you buy a piece of crap car with the money you refuse to spend.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Section 8 is limited to a metro area's median rent. If you have a voucher you can use it to rent a 2000 sq ft house over $1000 a month, but you have to pay everything over the median rent for the size of your household. (if you have one kid, that would be the median rent for a 2BR, not more than that)
and isn't that the way it should be: the size of home section 8 should be willing to voucher for, should depend on the size of the family.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:57 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,133,380 times
Quote:
Proper planning.

Though the 2 job bit is a trap. The proper action is one job and community college.

Or a trade and community college. You realize as an electrician apprentice I was paid 15 an hour from day one and it went up each year? This was on top of weekend doubles at the nursing home and classes.

5 years of that and when I finished I dropped the nursing to PRN(kinda like working if you want) and did my ADN (registered nurse associates degree). Then went back to nursing FT, stopped the construction bit and continued on to get my BSEE.

All while having a kid, and starting at about the 4th year being a single father.

Not that hard. Done it. It just sucks for awhile AND it ends. Not having a kid makes it easy mode.

OK I am lying. It was hard as **** and I wanted to quit and scream "**** it." I spent nights crying. I considered letting my parents raise my daughter. Ugh... I almost lost my manhood with that one. Giving away my kid. GTFO with that.

Now? Its easy as hell. In June my daughter and I are driving/moving to Alaska and taking 2 months to get there. This is my first vacation since summer vacation before senior year when I was 16. I'm 35...

And my daughter gets what she needs and even some times what she wants.

You just need then proper motivation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies