Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:39 PM

28 posts, read 29,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
I have happened to stumble across many rental ads where they specify that the house or building is smoke free. It's not too difficult.
The problem is that smokers don't follow through on the agreement they have made. Smokers will do anything to get away with having their lives made uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you don't want neighbors who smoke, then don't rent in a building that allows smoking.
Why don't smokers develop enough respect for other people so that they don't smoke?

Old 03-18-2013, 05:43 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,830,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersaremiscreants View Post
Why don't smokers develop enough respect for other people so that they don't smoke?
I agree, plus people shouldn't be allowed to fart in shared dwellings, out of respect for their neighbors.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:45 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,792,209 times
Quote:
It should not be the landlords' and/or building mgmt.'s responsibility to provide clean air to tenants.
That's correct.

Tenants should work it out among themselves. They're people, and they are there. They can talk to each other. Many difficulties can be worked out this way, and silly or unreasonable viewpoints can be identified.

Each apartment (and each building) has its own setup, its own requirements, its own open spaces etc. Having a single one-size-fits all solution for the entire nation, is insane.

But... why do I get the feeling that that's exactly what the liberals will try to impose on us? With government force and coercion to back it up, and more tax money to pay for it all?

Liberals always take advantage of every conflict, every problem no matter how small, to introduce more government, make more laws, impose more restrictions on everyone.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:50 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
I don't know if this is the case all over the country, but every multi unit building I have lived in doesn't allow the tenants to smoke in the building, this includes the condo I use to own. If you don't want to be in a building that allows smokers to smoke in the building, then don't rent there, but it is harder to find a building that will allow you to smoke indoors.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:52 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,131,754 times
Quote:
It should not be the landlords' and/or building mgmt.'s responsibility to provide clean air to tenants. Smokers are the problems in buildings and the onus should be totally on them. Most important is that laws must be enforced and the violators given stiff penalties. Just as there are more and more laws prohibiting smoking in places of employment, there should be likewise so that normal, healthy people can rent out apartments without having to become victims of second-hand smoke. I see no difference between being forced to breath in fumes from leaky gas pipes and other forms of toxicity, and being forced to breathe in second-hand smoke. I am including pot. The local and federal health dept.s have been extremely tardy in making it possible for normal, healthy people to live in apartment buildings without having to become victims of second-hand smoke. This includes apartment building which rent out to Section 8 / subsidized tenants.
Yawn.

Mods? How does this guy not qualify as a troll? I'm completely serious. If you take into consideration his screen name, post count, join date and inflammatory OP, how is it possible that you can reach any other conclusion?

Old 03-18-2013, 05:54 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost in ones country View Post
ill smoke up them liberals faces. i do what i please. no government will stop me.
That's cool, but your landlord can still evicted you if their building doesn't allow you to smoke in it.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:58 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,548,281 times
Quote:
It should not be the landlords' and/or building mgmt.'s responsibility to provide clean air to tenants. Smokers are the problems in buildings and the onus should be totally on them. Most important is that laws must be enforced and the violators given stiff penalties. Just as there are more and more laws prohibiting smoking in places of employment, there should be likewise so that normal, healthy people can rent out apartments without having to become victims of second-hand smoke. I see no difference between being forced to breath in fumes from leaky gas pipes and other forms of toxicity, and being forced to breathe in second-hand smoke. I am including pot. The local and federal health dept.s have been extremely tardy in making it possible for normal, healthy people to live in apartment buildings without having to become victims of second-hand smoke. This includes apartment building which rent out to Section 8 / subsidized tenants.
If you don't like smoking then rent a house.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Good. There should be less laws against smoking. This isn't a dictatorship. Smoking is legal and if you want to do it, then you should do it. If an individual landlord, business owner, restaurant owner, or whoever doesn't want smoking on their private property then fine. If they do, then fine. If you don't like it, then go somewhere else and take your moralizing with you.
You may or may not have understood my position. I don't think that a victim of second-hand smoke should have to go through the trouble of suing a third-party, such as a landlord, when they are the unwilling recipient of second-hand smoke. My point is that the smoker should have to pay the price for their anti-life activities. I would like to see more civil lawsuits, not against land-lords, but against the smokers. Smokers are the problem, not the landlords or legislators. People, especially those who are still putting-up with second-hand smoke in their personal relationships need to get to the point where they realize that their health will be destroyed by someone else whom, at the bottom line, does not care about them. Smokers in apartment buildings will be the future respondents in civil law-suits. As we speak, there are more and more prospective complainants in civil courts who are seeking legal standing to file suit against smokers, {as well as landlords}. There will come a day when whether someone smokes will be the criteria for their ability to live amongst non-smokers in respectable society.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:03 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,548,281 times
Quote:
The problem is that smokers don't follow through on the agreement they have made. Smokers will do anything to get away with having their lives made uncomfortable.
Many of the houses and apts here don't allow smoking and they smoke outside. If a smoker can't deal with that they find a rental that allows smoking. It really isn't that hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies