Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 08:30 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
There are a lot of reasons for an increase in productivity. I think her premise is flawed. Increases in productivity do not mean that wages must go up proportionately. That is nonsensical. I can't imagine what her logic is. But, knowing Elizibeth Warren, collectivist that she is, and uber "Progressive" liberal idiot, she has no logic. None of these people think logically.
She is one of those idiots who knows nothing about a topic, but since she considers herself one of the enlightened, political elites, that automatically makes her an expert on all topics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 08:34 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Really ? Swiping a product under a scanner, keying in the amount a person gives you and then give the change the machine tells you to give is "skill" ?

Good Lord, cashiers today would have never survived a decade or two ago when you had to key in the amount and figure out the change in your head. That cash register was not a computer that did all the thinking work for you.

The only skill needed is one working arm and the ability to read numbers and count cash.
That's accomplished by 5th grade.
I think the point is, that working a cash register takes more skills then pushing a broom. If I'm training a new cashier, and he is as dumb as a brick, I can always make him a box boy, a shopping cart wrangler, or if all else fails, hand him a broom and dustpan.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I think the point is, that working a cash register takes more skills then pushing a broom. If I'm training a new cashier, and he is as dumb as a brick, I can always make him a box boy, a shopping cart wrangler, or if all else fails, hand him a broom and dustpan.
With that I can agree. If they cannot operate a cash register though or pack a bag properly (eggs do NOT go on the bottom with a six pack of soda put on top of it..true story) that's some sad state of min wage worker capabilities.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 AM

20,726 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
How can you triple min wage and not triple all other salaries ?

The skilled guy that makes $22 today would still be more skilled than min wage cashiers.
So if you triple the cashier's salary shouldn't you also triple that guy's salary ?
And then if you triple all salaries wouldn't you have to triple the price of all goods/services to cover that labor cost and still make your profit ?

Has this woman thought this out beyond the min wage worker ?

It will not triple all other salaries unless the money supply is increased or the wealthy start spending their cash hoards.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
It will not triple all other salaries unless the money supply is increased or the wealthy start spending their cash hoards.
But M3 has increased since 2010.
Shadowstats still calculates M3 since the data is still provided to do that.

Money Supply Charts

Old 03-21-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
But M3 has increased since 2010.
Shadowstats still calculates M3 since the data is still provided to do that.

Money Supply Charts

M3 is a joke. Any change in that number is more akin to a royal wedding than an economy.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
She's dumber than a box of rocks. Sorry to offend any rocks out there comparing her to them.
She says minimum wage should keep up with inflation and trust me by your post history she's light years ahead of you.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
She says minimum wage should keep up with inflation and trust me by your post history she's light years ahead of you.

A real wage should set the inflation rate. However as I have said, the monetary manipulation is wreaking havoc so we essentially would be trying to command the economy in two different directions. It would be akin to something like:

We need affordable housing
We need housing to increase in value

And on to lala land we go

Increasing employment will increase minimum wage via a market influence and lets not pretend that minimum wage isn't a form of tax. Its an unfunded mandate.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:57 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
No you see its not with a general rise in prices. The poor, by what even means they do get their money, will get more of them in the same proportion. Only if its isolated to asset inflation which is NOT a general rise in price. Called stagflation. Turing blue again.....
Isn't she adorable? Items that were once on the dollar menu are now on the $1.25 menu. How did that happen?

Old 03-21-2013, 11:02 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
If the minimum wage is set to $22/hr, then tell me why an employer should bother opening up any jobs that will bring less than $22/hr of additional revenue into his business?

Raising the minimum wage will automatically eliminate any jobs that produce less revenue than that wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies