Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 12:44 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,188,268 times

Advertisements

I am saying in a genral sense. Now there are many,many successful blacks in this country but there are still waaaay to many the dwell at the bottom. I do understand racism but I really would like to take that out of the equation and look at things that blacks themsleves can do. We, blacks, cannot control the way whites treat us not can we make them change that kind of behavior but we can controll ourselves.

So what can we do to get a more stable footing in America? I ask this question because I sure would like to do more than just mentor black kids, I don'think I'm doing enough, that is far from enough. Blacks have to do much more. I would like to hear any suggestions or opinions........

Old 04-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,142,781 times
Be strong, take your lumps, grieve shortly move on take resposibility and make it happen.

Last edited by saltine; 04-25-2008 at 01:10 PM..

Old 04-25-2008, 01:14 PM

625 posts, read 3,636,214 times
Ok if we take racism and prejudices out of the equation I would say we would have a better chance of succeeding if more of us educated ourselves and our offsprings. How many black people go to the library or the bookstore just to read a book? How many are active in their childrens PTA? I think there is a cycle in our community, especially in urban inner city areas, where the parents are young and uneducated or just plain lazy who then grow old and are still uneducated and lazy and have multiple children who continue that cycle. We blame black men for alot of the troubles in our communities but what about the women??? Women who continue to have babies by a man who they know have children with other women who they do not support. What makes you think he will support you and your child? What happened to waiting until marriage to have children? What happenned to working together to raise children properly and both parents work jobs that pay more than minimum wage??? I don't have children yet, I'm engaged, and I am a college graduate so I'm sure some people will think I'm standing on my soapbox by making these statements but I can say I grew up with these views because I had a parent who worked her ass off to take care of me and my brother and my 2 cousins who she had to jump in and take guardianship of when no one else in my family would. I had a strong parental unit who let me know that without education and hardwork you won't get far and that I will have to work 10x's as hard just because of the color of my skin.

Last edited by neekah18; 04-25-2008 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-25-2008, 01:21 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
That's a large question, and I commend you for your effort. I think more effort should be spent reaching out to parents. The behavior of kids is influenced tremendously by their environment (parents, friends etc.). We make a lot of efforts towards kids, but we can only be there a couple of hours per week. The rest of the time, they're surrounded by influences steering them away from the direction you're trying to teach. That makes significant change unlikely by working only with the child. If we can get parents aligned with efforts and working to have a positive influence on kids as well as setting some limits on their peer relationships, then the environment around the kids changes and you're more likely to see a lasting change in the child's behavior.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:33 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,369,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
So what can we do to get a more stable footing in America?
Black-Americans need a stronger emphasis on business ownership. Black-Americans spend around $700 billion a year yet only about 3% of that is spent with Black owned businesses because we don't own enough businesses to spend our dollars with especially within our own communities. This is affecting black wealth building and employment opportunities for Blacks.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:39 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Black-Americans need a stronger emphasis on business ownership. Black-Americans spend around $700 billion a year yet only about 3% of that is spent with Black owned businesses because we don't own enough businesses to spend our dollars with especially within our own communities. This is affecting black wealth building and employment opportunities for Blacks.
That's a good point. I think that requires some education and a change in mindset from the goal being to seek a job to one of owning a business and creating jobs thus creating wealth.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:43 PM

I thought they did a good job of touching on economics.

Youtube

Old 04-25-2008, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 10,516 times
Default Parent Involvment

I believe parent involvement is the key. I also believe letting go of the past is vital. I always hear our people complaining about racism. Racism still exists and probably always will, but that isn't an excuse to give up before trying. We need to build better communities and stop expecting the schools to raise our children. I agree with the person who said women need to stop having babies with men who don't support the children they already have. Too many parents are really just kids themselves. Men need to take their place as men and as fathers, too. I am a former teacher and now a school counselor. I have seen too many absent fathers in these children's lives. A boy needs a strong male role model. The fathers and mothers need to work together and set morals and values for their kids. IT starts at home. We cannot teach the children respect and then they go home and see something totally different. Education used be to a major goal in black communities and now it seems that has been lost somewhere.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:56 PM

625 posts, read 3,636,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post

My mom took early retirement last year to start her own business. She opened a day care and trust me when I say Black people will give money to another race before they give to their own because we don't like to see one another to succeed. She charges $150 per week for her day care she teaches, cooks, potty trains, etc. from 7:30 am until 5pm (some parents come as late as 5:45 to pick up their child and she doesn't charge extra). We are in an urban area and the majority of people are on subsidy (I told her it was a bad move because the welfare recipients out number the fulltime workers) she wanted to do something for the community and help the youth. I can tell you the countless people who have called to encounter about the day care and as soon as they hear $150 a week they never call back or say "that is too much!!!" Umm that is $3 an hour for taking care of your child!!!! In non urban areas childcare is way over that amount and parents have no problems about paying it as long as their child is well taken care of and learning. Needless to say she is getting her financial statements prepared, her business plan is ready, and she is going to get a small business loan to buy a building outside of the inner city. It's sad but unfortunately our community does not seem to be prospering because we don't support each other.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:06 PM

^
See if you or your mother can find some examples of Black owned businesses(daycare etc) that have done well in urban areas. This could give her somethings to consider with her business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies