Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:41 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,776,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
People who think only the elite should vote -- which is another way of saying only they should decide how a nation should be run are not only antagonistic to the notion of democracy but fail to learn the lessons of history. The elite being the sole decisions makers was the standard prior to the American experiment.

Inevitably, if the elite are in charge, they will skew the rules to benefit of themselves (even more than their lobbyists have already done.) France is a noteworthy example, where the nobility eventually lost their heads for their overreach.
You need to stop worrying about the elite understand it is not going to change. You would be better off changing your circumstances and worry about yourself. If you don't like your circumstances do something about it without demanding the government take from others.

There is nothing "fair" about taking money from other people who earned that money from their own labor.

Last edited by petch751; 03-21-2013 at 11:12 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 AM

73,096 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Sure, I am interested in power as if I have any. What I am saying is if you are going to vote, at least try to make an educated vote. Don't listen to the propaganda that is designed to get your vote, think it through, look at their agenda, look at his past. And don't just look at one candidates past, look at both.

For years I would not vote because I was too caught up in the rat race to be able to keep up, understand what was going on so I refused to vote. I would have been a low information voter. I was not going to vote for cool, popularity, I was not listening to propaganda....
Propaganda is how politics has worked. It has been that way for years. Propaganda is being used by both parties, and has been that way for years. People often look out for number one. Power and control over others is how things work. That is why things are the way they are.

When I said power, I'm talking about people keeping the lion's share of the power for themselves and preventing other people from having a say. The idea being that "I look out for me".

Old 03-21-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751
No, that is how democratic politicians think, keep the poor down so they stay in power. And you hand it right to them. And your right, anyone can be born poor, I was. It is what you do about it that matters.
Quote:
Do you really think this? What about all the rich Republicans out there? It seems to be both parties and a lot of other people who's rich. Some of them don't care. They got THEIR foot in the door, screw the rest of the people. Heck some even just slam the door in the other people's faces. It seems to be the same with immigration. People forget that this country was founded by immigrants. This country was built by immigrants. If you think about it, the only people who really have the right to be here are the Native Americans.
Yes I do believe this. Do you have any proof, can you show any results otherwise? And saying that people don't care is a lame comment. Do you care enough about yourself to do something to improve your life or is a show of caring handing it all to you? So you point about immigrants is? Yes you are right, we are a melting pot but my grandparents came here and "worked". They didn't come over go on welfare, they worked! The Democrats have a program in Mexico telling them how to come to the U.S. and get welfare. Do you think that is right. I personally don't have a problem with immigrants if they are coming to work but then again, shouldn't we make sure there are enough jobs for people who are here first.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Propaganda is how politics has worked. It has been that way for years. Propaganda is being used by both parties, and has been that way for years. People often look out for number one. Power and control over others is how things work. That is why things are the way they are.

When I said power, I'm talking about people keeping the lion's share of the power for themselves and preventing other people from having a say. The idea being that "I look out for me".
Exactly! So again, I ask you, you admit that people look out for number one so why does anyone think that government is going to look out for them. Your standard of living is up to you and you alone. If you choose to live off other peoples labor then you chose the easiest route which results in the lowest standard of living.

No one cares more about you than you and no one can force you to invest in yourself, no one is going to hand the better life to you either.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylu View Post

Also, what about this?

Ol'_Dirty_Bastard_ride a limo 2 go get his foodstamps mtvNews wit wife n kids - YouTube

And don't you say anything about race.
You added an additional video to your post that I did not post to insinuate racism. Doesn't work here so don't bother. You are who you are and you will be for the rest of your life. If you have issue with it you better work hard on getting past it.

Now I ask you. Do you think that a woman who had 15 kids then saying "someone's got to be held accountable", "someones got to pay". Do you think that is right????

I don't think it is and it is putting a strain on others who are paying for her choices. So do we ignore this problem because they are black? I don't care if they are black or white, it is a problem and something needs to be done about it. If you are black you misplace your anger.

The second video, thank you, I never saw it before but will be sure to watch it.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Do you ever get tired of repeating the same tired whine over and over and over? We get it - you don't like poor people. I mean, really, really do not like poor people. You don't like the way they look; or talk; or walk; they are lazy; they are stupid; they don't pay their way . . . . . .yes, you certainly do a bunch of ballyhooing about it.
The way they look, walk lol... Oh get over yourself. You better believe I don't like people who would rather take money from other people instead of paying their own way.

Convince me... Tell me why should I respect them????

Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 AM

73,096 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Exactly! So again, I ask you, you admit that people look out for number one so why does anyone think that government is going to look out for them. Your standard of living is up to you and you alone. If you choose to live off other peoples labor then you chose the easiest route which results in the lowest standard of living.

No one cares more about you than you and no one can force you to invest in yourself, no one is going to hand the better life to you either.
I have been trying to say this for a long time. Everything is about power and control. That is why when I see ads about "welfare queens", I don't pay much attention. Such a scare tactic doesn't work with me. It doesn't work for my father either. Neither one of us believe in making living off of welfare a lifestyle. That being said, the "welfare queen" doesn't scare us. The person who scares me is the person who has the power to hire or fire me. The behavior of some people who happen to be on welfare appalls me. That being said, I understand that the person who controls the money can do much more damage than the person living off of welfare, or section 8.

The point I'm trying to drive home is that the poor are not the people I'm afraid of. I think this way because I understand that power is often measured in who controls the money. Yes, there are people who would rather live off of welfare than work and some of those persons might be able to muster up some political influence. That being said, they don't control the movement of money. I'm more afraid of Monsanto than someone on welfare. Monsanto has been able to get away such travesties such as polluting and sickening people.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
It's their country too.

And why else would someone suggest that some U.S. citizens shouldn't vote? It has nothing to do with "earned" right. It has more to do with those who have power trying to keep it for themselves.
You are fixated on power but fail to realize that you gave your power away for a bunch of promises. Talk is cheap. Under Obama the rich are now richer and the poor are poorer, and the black community is doing much worse.

But! not all is lost. You have the power to educate yourself, change your attitude, change what you are doing and to make an effort on your own to make your life better. No one is saying that it is going to be easy. Regardless of what the Democrats say it is not easy for anyone. You have to stop expecting it to be handed to you because you will wait for along time.

But if instead you opt to wait for a politicians promise you have given away your power. The only time a politician comes to you is when they want to curry favor and then you are forgotten.

Why are the rich, richer? For many reasons. Knowledge is power. They understand economics, balance sheets and other things that would take books and books to explain. They also worked and invested, educated in how to make money no matter what the economic climate is. For example if one asset class is out of favor you better believe the rich are long out of it and into the next asset class. And do you know the difference between good debt and bad debt.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I have been trying to say this for a long time. Everything is about power and control. That is why when I see ads about "welfare queens", I don't pay much attention. Such a scare tactic doesn't work with me. It doesn't work for my father either. Neither one of us believe in making living off of welfare a lifestyle. That being said, the "welfare queen" doesn't scare us. The person who scares me is the person who has the power to hire or fire me. The behavior of some people who happen to be on welfare appalls me. That being said, I understand that the person who controls the money can do much more damage than the person living off of welfare, or section 8.

The point I'm trying to drive home is that the poor are not the people I'm afraid of. I think this way because I understand that power is often measured in who controls the money. Yes, there are people who would rather live off of welfare than work and some of those persons might be able to muster up some political influence. That being said, they don't control the movement of money. I'm more afraid of Monsanto than someone on welfare. Monsanto has been able to get away such travesties such as polluting and sickening people.
So is that what Obama meant by Vote.. vote... vote for revenge? But I do understand what you are talking about. I have a couple thoughts. The power of the employer who pays you. lol, yea been there done that but you have the power to take some of that power back by having an emergency fund, getting rid of as much debt as you can, doing the best job you can. Of course losing that job is not what you want especially now. If you don't have an emergency fund start one and with every dollar you add to it, if you have to play a mind game with yourself then do what you have to do. Call it a kiss my butt fund or something like that.

Bottom line is you were hired to do a job. The companies perspective is that they have expenses, taxes and payrolls to make and their job is to make the company run as efficiently as possible at minimum expense. But at the same time, they must serve their customers well. With higher taxes, the company must look for other ways to cut cost and he is looking at your job. I find it amazing that Obama supporters could not connect these dots. See, everyone has a job and is under pressure.

Last edited by petch751; 03-21-2013 at 11:56 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 11:49 AM

8,637 posts, read 9,153,405 times
Quote:
You need to stop worrying about the elite understand it is not going to change. You would be better off changing your circumstances and worry about yourself. If you don't like your circumstances do something about it without demanding the government take from others.

There is nothing "fair" about taking money from other people who earned that money from their own labor.
What does your response to MTAtech have to do with changing his/hers circumstances? I think history is one to follow here. The heads rolled in france not from revenge so much as balancing the books. The elite in France at the time owned the monarchy and plunged the people in france into starvation. The Monarchy was in deep debt to a relative few families. In order to balance the books, the people of France eliminated the families. Lesson here------if ever Americans start to go really hungry from a lack of food, you can bet your bottom dollar circumstances will change in a hurry.

Last edited by jmking; 03-21-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies