Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:43 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Sorry, it's absolutely not a good analogy. Politicians working on gun safety legislation are responding to overwhelming support from constituents. Every poll says so. Anti-choice crap is just RWJNs doing what they always do -- ignore what America wants in order to pursue their insane agenda. See: Election, 2012 as Exhibit A.
Sorry, but you could not be more wrong. Gun control does not have overwhelming support, which is why Reid shelved it for fear of torpedoing the Dem's chances in 2014. Also, pro-life has a slight lead in poll, so another strike against your argument. BTW, constitutional rights are not a popularity contest, but thank you for showing your ignorance in the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 02:25 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Sorry, but you could not be more wrong. Gun control does not have overwhelming support, which is why Reid shelved it for fear of torpedoing the Dem's chances in 2014. Also, pro-life has a slight lead in poll, so another strike against your argument. BTW, constitutional rights are not a popularity contest, but thank you for showing your ignorance in the matter.
Really?

Public Opinion on Abortion and Roe v Wade - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Abortion

40 Years After Roe, A Shift in Public Opinion

Not sure what planet you're living on, but you certainly aren't talking about the US that I live in when it comes to abortion.

As for gun safety, the Senate tanked it because they're bought and paid for by the NRA. Certainly not because their constituents asked them to.

Vast Majority Supports Universal Background Checks For Gun Purchases

Even the AWB has public support. (I picked the GOP-owned Rasmussen for this one just to be sure.)

55% Favor Assault Weapons Ban, But 62% Oppose Complete Gun Ban - Rasmussen Reports™

And the Supreme Court has ruled that gun regulations are Constitutional.

So I'll give you points for having the b@@@s to call me ignorant when you clearly have no clue, but not for much else.

Last edited by jmqueen; 03-23-2013 at 03:21 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Really?

Public Opinion on Abortion and Roe v Wade - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Abortion

40 Years After Roe, A Shift in Public Opinion

Not sure what planet you're living on, but you certainly aren't talking about the US that I live in when it comes to abortion.

As for gun safety, the Senate tanked it because they're bought and paid for by the NRA. Certainly not because their constituents asked them to.

Vast Majority Supports Universal Background Checks For Gun Purchases

Even the AWB has public support. (I picked the GOP-owned Rasmussen for this one just to be sure.)

55% Favor Assault Weapons Ban, But 62% Oppose Complete Gun Ban - Rasmussen Reports™

And the Supreme Court has rules that gun regulations are Constitutional.

So I'll give you points for having the b@@@s to call me ignorant when you clearly have no clue, but not for much else.

Save it drama queen. Bought by the NRA? Yes, they control the voting booths. I love how you treat one right, which is not even mention in the constitution, as sacred, but you can't wait to take away something that is explicitly protected. Do you also support hate crimes legislation, no-knock warrants, and all of the abuses that the Feds get away with a daily basis. You're a hypocrite, plain and simple.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:34 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
This is a good analogy and it shows the same strategy on both sides. They both hope that if they keep throwing enough laws at the courts that one of them will finally stick. It shows how disingenuous both sides of the so-called political aisle are. Neither care about the constitution or the limited government, they all want to impose their view of morality and fairness.
Except gun control advocates are not trying to ban all guns, or take guns away from anyone who has a legal right to have them.

Measures I support like universal background checks won't hurt anyone, and even that is being opposed by gun lovers.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Except gun control advocates are not trying to ban all guns, or take guns away from anyone who has a legal right to have them.

Measures I support like universal background checks won't hurt anyone, and even that is being opposed by gun lovers.
You really believe that, don't you? So what is an acceptable gun by your standards? Flint locks? The people saw the gun grabbers lies for what they were. "Oh, we only want to ban bad guns". Then comes full registration, an every growing list of "banned weapons", and then finally confiscation. This is not paranoia. This has already happened in places like New Jersey and will soon occur in New York.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
You really believe that, don't you? So what is an acceptable gun by your standards? Flint locks? The people saw the gun grabbers lies for what they were. "Oh, we only want to ban bad guns". Then comes full registration, an every growing list of "banned weapons", and then finally confiscation. This is not paranoia. This has already happened in places like New Jersey and will soon occur in New York.
Meh. You can make up all the stuff you want to argue about and regurgitate NRA talking points all you like. That doesn't change the fact that Americans are opposed to these GOP positions and that it's costing the party elections. Or that you should really, really read this site's TOS.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Meh. You can make up all the stuff you want to argue about and regurgitate NRA talking points all you like. That doesn't change the fact that Americans are opposed to these GOP positions and that it's costing the party elections. Or that you should really, really read this site's TOS.
Since you're so sensitive, I was just playing on your screen name. But if you can't take the heat then how about leaving this forum. This is where the adults like to play. Calling for the Mods to save you isn't very becoming.

You still will not address my main point. You seem to feel it is OK to trample over on one set of rights all of the while looking to preserve another. The bill of rights was not setup to protect majority rule, it was written to protect against the tyranny of the majority.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Since you're so sensitive, I was just playing on your screen name. But if you can't take the heat then how about leaving this forum. This is where the adults like to play. Calling for the Mods to save you isn't very becoming.

You still will not address my main point. You seem to feel it is OK to trample over on one set of rights all of the while looking to preserve another. The bill of rights was not setup to protect majority rule, it was written to protect against the tyranny of the majority.
Yawn. I never go to the mods. Your childish insults only serve to highlight your complete lack of a point. And I'm still not going to argue with you over a position which only you are talking about and which I do not hold.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Yawn. I never go to the mods. Your childish insults only serve to highlight your complete lack of a point. And I'm still not going to argue with you over a position which only you are talking about and which I do not hold.
Eh, I do believe that you were the one that hijacked this thread when someone pointed out the strategic similarities between the gun-grabbers and the pro-life movement. Apparently that struck a nerve with you.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:12 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Sorry, but you could not be more wrong. Gun control does not have overwhelming support
91% of Americans are for a universal background check covering all gun sales including second hand sales. I'd call that pretty damn overwhelming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies