Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 06:55 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,064,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Screw them. Have some stones. Cowards. I will always stand up for the lives many of you are so quick to throw away, without a care in the world. You got a chance at life. Why shouldnt they? I bet none of you would willingly go back in time, if it were possible, if your mothers now said theyd rather have aborted you to save them stress/money/etc. None of you would.

What is worse is how giddy and happy some of you get that abortion is legal. How excited you feel to know so many never get the same chance you and others got.
Every child born today has the same chance I had......to be born to parents who want them.

If we went back to 1953 and gave my mother the opportunity to abort, she would decline. I was born because after 7 years of marriage my parents felt it was the right time to have a child.....after they had built up enough money to buy a home and provide a good life for their children. What a novel idea.

And....if we went back to 1953 and I was unplanned and unwanted.....not the kind of life I would want to be brought into, an unwanted burden. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 10:01 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,914,014 times
Who called this? Oh, that's right... I CALLED THIS! :smug:

Old 04-18-2014, 11:05 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,529,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Every child born today has the same chance I had......to be born to parents who want them.

If we went back to 1953 and gave my mother the opportunity to abort, she would decline. I was born because after 7 years of marriage my parents felt it was the right time to have a child.....after they had built up enough money to buy a home and provide a good life for their children. What a novel idea.

And....if we went back to 1953 and I was unplanned and unwanted.....not the kind of life I would want to be brought into, an unwanted burden. No thanks.
Congratulations, you survived Roe v Wade, you were born before it was passed. Millions don't survive it now.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Congratulations, you survived Roe v Wade, you were born before it was passed. Millions don't survive it now.

You need to read my post again, you missed the point.

I was PLANNED and WANTED.....my mother would not have aborted me even if Roe v Wade had been in effect at that time. Roe v Wade would have made NO DIFFERENCE.

My parents did not want to bring children into the world until they had a nice house to raise them in. They moved into their brand new home that they had built one month after I was born. That timing was not an accident. They waited 7 years and saved for that house.....and me, and 1 yr. 10 months later, my brother. We were not accidents that she would have aborted.....Roe v Wade or not.

And, it is a good feeling knowing I was planned for and wanted instead of an unwanted mistake/burden.

All kids born since Roe v Wade know that even though they may not have been planned, they were wanted, since their mother could have aborted them if she chose to......nothing wrong with that, IMO.

Those that are aborted do not know and do not care......they aren't little ghosts floating around in the netherworld crying buckets of tears because they weren't born.

If we go with your beliefs, they are all basking in the glory of the lord in heaven, every Christians ultimate goal. Why feel bad that they didn't have to suffer through the trials of a life on this earth in order to get to heaven? BAM.....straight to paradise.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:54 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,033,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Let's just put up individual rights to a vote. Great idea.
Destruction of human life is not an individual right.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:31 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,220,022 times
Quote:
All kids born since Roe v Wade know that even though they may not have been planned, they were wanted, since their mother could have aborted them if she chose to......nothing wrong with that, IMO.
Well, I can't say that I agree with this statement. I can understand how you might believe it goes in that direction, but it isn't actually true. For instance, there are many women who think they want a child, then once they have it they go into postpartum depression and end up killing the baby, or just abandoning the baby, usually with grandma or other relatives. Also, there are many women who feel strongly that they want to have a child, who end up being the absolute worst mothers in the world.

Your position basically implies that all children will be happy since their parents wanted them. Which is ridiculous anyway, this generation is more likely to be depressed and have other psychological problems than ever. I would bet if you "polled" people by age, the percentage of people who had ever wished they had never been born is much higher in those born after Roe v. Wade than before.

Furthermore, I think you are putting far too much weight on the need for proper circumstances. I think many times people are told over and over that it is irresponsible to bring a child into the world if they aren't already making good money and have a proper home. In many cases they are basically talked into having an abortion that wasn't really necessary, and those women end up greatly regretting that decision, and have psychological problems later in life. Basically, they realize that you don't need to be rich to have a child, then are angry at themselves for being so shallow and materialistic. Then when they see some 10-year old kid and get reminded about how 10 years ago they aborted their child, and start wondering what their child would be like or look like now if it hadn't been aborted, it can become a dangerously depressing and obsessive thought.

And lastly, the argument for abortion and personal circumstances ignores how the lack of abortion can change behavior. Generally speaking, kids make you grow up. It isn't always true, but it is usually true. In most cases people actively improve their circumstances once they find out they are having a child. Basically, children tend to force people to become better people. And not only do they behave better once they are parents. In the absence of the possibility of abortion, people tend to behave a little better anyway.

The "Sexual revolution" is really one-part birth-control, one-part availability of abortion, and one-part welfare. In the absence of those things, people would become far more careful about who they slept with, because the consequences would be far greater and far more frequent.

With that said, I won't argue that there is never a need for an abortion. But if you could actually look at individual circumstances in all cases of abortions, you would realize that the vast majority of abortions are both unnecessary as well as unhealthy for society itself. I'm not opposed to all abortions, but I do feel like there needs to be mechanism that separates those which are good and necessary, from those which are actually harmful to all parties.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:39 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,529,837 times
Quote:

You need to read my post again, you missed the point.

I was PLANNED and WANTED.....my mother would not have aborted me even if Roe v Wade had been in effect at that time. Roe v Wade would have made NO DIFFERENCE.

My parents did not want to bring children into the world until they had a nice house to raise them in. They moved into their brand new home that they had built one month after I was born. That timing was not an accident. They waited 7 years and saved for that house.....and me, and 1 yr. 10 months later, my brother. We were not accidents that she would have aborted.....Roe v Wade or not.

And, it is a good feeling knowing I was planned for and wanted instead of an unwanted mistake/burden.

Those that are aborted do not know and do not care......they aren't little ghosts floating around in the netherworld crying buckets of tears because they weren't born.

If we go with your beliefs, they are all basking in the glory of the lord in heaven, every Christians ultimate goal. Why feel bad that they didn't have to suffer through the trials of a life on this earth in order to get to heaven? BAM.....straight to paradise.
Well it's nice your parents' BC worked for them, it fails many times for others. Plus, how do you know every kid born now is wanted. Many are a surprise and coming at a time that is inconvenient, I know many of them but their parents were not selfish and accepted them as they came.

Who said those babies that were aborted are "ghosts floating around in the netherworld crying?" Many of faith believe they are in heaven but they did not have a chance to live here on earth and those who are responsible for the aborting of them just may not make it into heaven.

The babies didn't have to suffer? What do you call being dismembered limb from limb, having their skulls crushed and their brains suctioned out? They certainly did not go straight to paradise without first experiencing agonizing pain.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:40 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,220,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Destruction of human life is not an individual right.
For once I agree with you. It really really gets on my nerves when people start proclaiming they have the right to this or that. Considering the supposed "right" to an abortion came nearly 200 years after the constitution was written.

Scalia explains it wonderfully here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj_MhS2u-Pk

Old 04-19-2014, 01:41 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,468,893 times
Quote:

I guess you've never heard of adoption.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Well, I can't say that I agree with this statement. I can understand how you might believe it goes in that direction, but it isn't actually true. For instance, there are many women who think they want a child, then once they have it they go into postpartum depression and end up killing the baby, or just abandoning the baby, usually with grandma or other relatives. Also, there are many women who feel strongly that they want to have a child, who end up being the absolute worst mothers in the world.

Your position basically implies that all children will be happy since their parents wanted them. Which is ridiculous anyway, this generation is more likely to be depressed and have other psychological problems than ever. I would bet if you "polled" people by age, the percentage of people who had ever wished they had never been born is much higher in those born after Roe v. Wade than before.

Furthermore, I think you are putting far too much weight on the need for proper circumstances. I think many times people are told over and over that it is irresponsible to bring a child into the world if they aren't already making good money and have a proper home. In many cases they are basically talked into having an abortion that wasn't really necessary, and those women end up greatly regretting that decision, and have psychological problems later in life. Basically, they realize that you don't need to be rich to have a child, then are angry at themselves for being so shallow and materialistic. Then when they see some 10-year old kid and get reminded about how 10 years ago they aborted their child, and start wondering what their child would be like or look like now if it hadn't been aborted, it can become a dangerously depressing and obsessive thought.

And lastly, the argument for abortion and personal circumstances ignores how the lack of abortion can change behavior. Generally speaking, kids make you grow up. It isn't always true, but it is usually true. In most cases people actively improve their circumstances once they find out they are having a child. Basically, children tend to force people to become better people. And not only do they behave better once they are parents. In the absence of the possibility of abortion, people tend to behave a little better anyway.

The "Sexual revolution" is really one-part birth-control, one-part availability of abortion, and one-part welfare. In the absence of those things, people would become far more careful about who they slept with, because the consequences would be far greater and far more frequent.

With that said, I won't argue that there is never a need for an abortion. But if you could actually look at individual circumstances in all cases of abortions, you would realize that the vast majority of abortions are both unnecessary as well as unhealthy for society itself. I'm not opposed to all abortions, but I do feel like there needs to be mechanism that separates those which are good and necessary, from those which are actually harmful to all parties.
I never implied being wanted ensures a happy childhood, only that it is certainly better than never being wanted from the get go. No circumstance in life is a 100% guarantee.....I never said otherwise.

I believe circumstances are very important. Having a child before you are ready, whether financially or emotionally, is setting yourself up for failure and setting the child up for a miserable childhood.

BTW......my parents were hardly rich, they had an average income and managed their money wisely.....and my brother and I had good childhoods because of it.

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to trade places with the kids whose parents weren't responsible. Too many kids, not enough income, shabby homes, shabby clothes, rotten teeth.....all because their parents didn't plan.

As far as more people wishing they weren't born now compared to 40 years ago......the world is a lot different now. 40 years ago most people could find a decent job in their home town, without a college education and going into tons of debt.....can't blame that on abortion.

BTW.....most women are not talked into aborting and most women do not regret aborting.....those are fallacies that pro-lifers just can't seem to let go of.

And, who do you think should decide if an abortion is "necessary".....the government?

No one is in a better position to make that decision than the woman who has to carry the pregnancy, deal with the birth, deal with the child. She and only she, should make the decision whether she wants to abort or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies