Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
The unhappiest states

If any members here at City-Data live in any of these states listed, please tell us all what made you unhappy to begin with. Tell us of your level of unhappiness.
We are unhappy that that we have such lunatics running the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 10:16 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
We are unhappy that that we have such lunatics running the country.
Maybe you could give up the day on the P&OC forum and participate? It'll take your mind off of being unhappy for awhile.

http://www.vbgov.com/news/Pages/sele...x?release=1338

News Center - Selected :: VBgov.com - City of Virginia Beach

There's still time, it's about lunch time where you're at.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:09 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
I love Nebraska state campgrounds, and those little pull off spots along the North Platte River, you live in one beautiful state!
Thank you! Wisconsin is beautiful as well, but then so is Ohio. I think the problem for the unhappy states comes in when there are no jobs, lower tax base, bad schools, and not a lot of public services. It makes life stressful.

If you think the North Platte is pretty, you need to drive out to the Black Hills in South Dakota, but dip down to travel along the Niobrara river in Nebraska--it's breathtaking. My family goes on an annual tubing/camping trip on the Niobrara, and it's a wonderful place. You can also visit Fort Robinson by Crawford, Nebraska (Dawes County)--it's south of Pine Ridge in SD, and they have trail rides, wagon side cook outs, melodramas, a really cool museum, fishing and fossil hunting areas, and you can stay in the old officers quarters at the Fort--it's a neat stop, and worth a couple of days!

Old 03-23-2013, 11:37 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Thank you! Wisconsin is beautiful as well, but then so is Ohio. I think the problem for the unhappy states comes in when there are no jobs, lower tax base, bad schools, and not a lot of public services. It makes life stressful.

If you think the North Platte is pretty, you need to drive out to the Black Hills in South Dakota, but dip down to travel along the Niobrara river in Nebraska--it's breathtaking. My family goes on an annual tubing/camping trip on the Niobrara, and it's a wonderful place. You can also visit Fort Robinson by Crawford, Nebraska (Dawes County)--it's south of Pine Ridge in SD, and they have trail rides, wagon side cook outs, melodramas, a really cool museum, fishing and fossil hunting areas, and you can stay in the old officers quarters at the Fort--it's a neat stop, and worth a couple of days!
We've been to Pine Ridge, awesome! In fact, the Pine Ridge Reservation.
LEARN ABOUT LIFE ON PINE RIDGE RESERVATION
Loved the museum displays of native artifacts.
Been to Wall Drug and done a lot of that meandering in that area in 3 weeks time, yes, breathtaking. My spouse has 2 Black Hills Gold rings from S.D., souvenirs.

One would think that other states would have the dubious dishonor of being the unhappiest. One I thought might be North Dakota. Some of my buddies from the military were assigned to Minot, and they claimed there was no worse place on earth for winters.
I'd imagine displeasure isn't necessarily confined to any specific states, people everywhere have employment shortages. I would like to see manufacturing jobs come back to the states.

Wisconsin's ok, but this is a long winter right now, and I'm tired of it.

We're considering a move west next spring. fingers crossed.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:09 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
We've been to Pine Ridge, awesome! In fact, the Pine Ridge Reservation.
LEARN ABOUT LIFE ON PINE RIDGE RESERVATION
Loved the museum displays of native artifacts.
Been to Wall Drug and done a lot of that meandering in that area in 3 weeks time, yes, breathtaking. My spouse has 2 Black Hills Gold rings from S.D., souvenirs.

One would think that other states would have the dubious dishonor of being the unhappiest. One I thought might be North Dakota. Some of my buddies from the military were assigned to Minot, and they claimed there was no worse place on earth for winters.
I'd imagine displeasure isn't necessarily confined to any specific states, people everywhere have employment shortages. I would like to see manufacturing jobs come back to the states.

Wisconsin's ok, but this is a long winter right now, and I'm tired of it.

We're considering a move west next spring. fingers crossed.
Good luck on your move!

We get extreme temperatures here--really frigid winters and hot, dry summers. Most people here are only one generation off of a ranch or a farm, so Nebraskans tend to be pretty tough, and stoic about the weather. That said, we don't get the kind of snow that you get non-stop either, or the non-stop frigid temperatures that they get further north. We have blizzards all the time, and because we're mainly prairie without a lot of tree breaks, the wind can shut down roads quickly due to drifting. Our interstate shuts down all the time. The good side is that the cold and snow usually alternates with a few days in the high 30s, so the snow melts before the next blizzard starts. I'm not sure I could handle all snow, all the time, either. We're getting fairly heavy snow again tonight, which is unusual this late in the year. I'll be ready when this winter is over--it's been a long one.

The landscape at Pine Ridge in SD is beautiful, but there's also some of the most abject poverty in the country on the reservation. I love that part of the country though--it's so beautiful, and it's depopulated enough that you can still imagine easily what the old west was like. I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip out our way!

Old 03-23-2013, 09:17 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
i don't know how accurate this study is.. because I've seen statistic where UTAH has one of the highest rates of anti-depressant medication usage.. it also has one of the highest rates of bankruptcy...

Old 03-23-2013, 09:18 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,949 times
I live in a small town. Sure housing and the cost of living are low. But there are no jobs around here. I had to drive 60 miles one way for an entry level position after graduating college. And it took almost a year to find that job.

I'd be a lot happier if I could find a decent job with a shorter commute. I now drive 36 miles one way to work. Yah.

I've lived in TN all my life but I'm looking at moving to Texas or Washington State.

EDIT: I have a friend, a native Tennessean, that lived and taught in Oregon for awhile. The difference in cultures is amazing. Just the differences in the kids he taught, and their parents was significantly different.

Look at a small west TN town like Tiptonville. People are on [domain blocked due to spam] complaining about how a HS student betrayed his county by going to another high school and then moving back. Really, I can't see this kind of stupidity happening in other parts of the country.

http://[domain blocked due to spam]/city/tipt...36H1J4888PU70H

I was a Realtor for a few years in Tennessee. I got a call from a guy in Philadelphia who wanted to move someplace a little more rural because of all the crime and the decline of his neighborhood. He was also a little culture shocked that there were no places in west TN that sold philly cheesesteak sandwiches. He planed on moving to Tiptonville and opening up a philly cheesesteak restaurant or maybe a bar. The fact that there are zero places in west TN that sell philly cheesesteaks should tell you something about the demand for them but I digress. Bars however, tend to go over quite well around here.

So he went online and found a place in Tiptonville that was super cheap by Philadelphia standards. So he drove to Tiptonville and on the way there, after a 30 - 45 minute drive through nothing but farmland, he was like "There's nothing here!"

Duh.

Why do you think everything's so cheap?

Last edited by EVAunit1981; 03-23-2013 at 09:44 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 09:29 PM

11,253 posts, read 11,028,294 times
I drove cross country many years back on the I-80 going east, and returned on the I-40 coming back west. The trip east was not memorable other than the fall foilage in Ohio and Pennsylvania. Coming west, I found Tennessee, Arkansas, and New Mexico to be the prettiest (at least from what I saw off the highway).

As far as living in Oregon, were not on the list, but if we were, I'd predict it would lean towards the happy side.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I think that this is BS. And no I don't live in any of these states. Only the ignorant will look at this and accept it as gospel. I would venture to say that the people in the states mentioned are not anymore unhappy that the people in the rest of the states.
I generally agree, but whenever similar lists have been posted with "blue states" ranking poorly, people sure DO love to take them seriously! They're all BS for the most part, but do have some logic behind the numbers if you analyze them... doesn't mean everyone in those states is unhappy, it just means the general QOL is lower by those measures.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I live in one of the happy states--Nebraska. We have clean water, clean air, jobs, affordable housing, good schools, wide open spaces, good public services, nice public recreation areas, people are friendly....plus we have HUSKER FOOTBALL (Go Big Red!), and RODEO is actually a high school sport in the western part of the state! It doesn't get any better than that!

Lincoln--the metro area I live within commuting distance of--is ranked the top mid sized community in the country. We have all of the above, plus a million things to do culturally--our Lied Center brings in everything from touring ballet to Broadway shows to musical events, we have an interesting bar/restaurant/boutique shopping district, we're building a brand new arena to bring in major musical acts and other types of concerts, we have all of the cultural offerings of the University of Nebraska available to us, plus there are unlimited opportunities and programs for kids, no what their interests are, including a first class children's museum, quality youth theater programs, and a really nice children's zoo.

As for the unhappy states--most are on the bottom of every national ranking for public health, public services, schools, you name it. No wonder they're unhappy. They live in red neck h*ll areas.
Nebraska resident here too...generally happy, unless the Huskers lose a few games lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies