Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 08:24 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
The reason the burden ever was partially on employers was b/c they decided to offer it as part of a benefits package out of the goodness of their heart, and now they are being taken advantage of for that generosity.

You like to quote statistics, perhaps you can find the stats saying how many people are being affected by ins companies not taking them on due to pre-existing conditions.

By "adjustments," you must mean raise prices, cut employee hours or entire jobs, or just plain go out of business. Yes, sounds like a great plan.

OK, here's what I found from a 2011 article on CNN:

"The number of people who lacked health insurance last year climbed to 49.9 million, up from 49 million in 2009, the Census Bureau said Tuesday.

Nationwide, 16.3% of the population was uninsured last year, statistically unchanged from 2009."

Since most people wish they could have health insurance, I'll assume that many of those 50 million, either are being denied coverage or cannot afford it. Obamacare will help those people, and that is a huge number of people. And realize these are not poor people who can get Medicaid. These are working middle-class people like myself. (There may be some in there who simply cannot be bothered with it, and that's unfair too, since they certainly cost the system if they go to the ER for their medical care. )

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/news...ance/index.htm

Last edited by ellemint; 03-23-2013 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Can we stop spouting off about who can afford to pay more? It's not your business what their bills might be. $166k or even $118k for a two-income household is really not that much. Have you seen the cost of living in some urban centers like NYC and LA?

And why are we subsidizing the middle class at all? That makes no sense whatsoever, with health care or anything else.
Wow you're bossy. I was replying to someone else who brought up a valid point. You don't run this thread.

Also, this will help the small-business owner because they are probably one of the middle class.

$166K is not a low income anywhere in the U.S. including NYC. It might not be a high income there, but don't tell me it's low when people survive in NYC who are waiters and fast-food workers.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:28 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
The reason the burden ever was partially on employers was b/c they decided to offer it as part of a benefits package out of the goodness of their heart, and now they are being taken advantage of for that generosity.
Insurance plans were offered by employers to get around price controls put into place back during the 40's or so. Companies could write off the expense and employees were not taxed on the benefit. At one point, before the AHA meddled with the market we had real insurance.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Insurance plans were offered by employers to get around price controls put into place back during the 40's or so. Companies could write off the expense and employees were not taxed on the benefit. At one point, before the AHA meddled with the market we had real insurance.
Right, it was after WWII, around 1950, that employers started offering to pay health care insurance premiums as a benefit in order to lure in workers. And medical care and its cost were much more limited in 1950 than now, of course.

One reason for the rising numbers of uninsured people, is that the percentage of people who had health insurance through their employers continues to fall---it fell to 55.3% in 2010 from 56.1% the year before, continuing a long, downward trend.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/news...ance/index.htm

Old 03-23-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

"The number of people who lacked health insurance last year climbed to 49.9 million, up from 49 million in 2009, the Census Bureau said Tuesday.

Nationwide, 16.3% of the population was uninsured last year, statistically unchanged from 2009."

Since most people wish they could have health insurance, I'll assume that many of those 50 million, either are being denied coverage or cannot afford it. Obamacare will help those people, and that is a huge number of people. And realize these are not poor people who can get Medicaid. These are working middle-class people like myself. (There may be some in there who simply cannot be bothered with it, and that's unfair too, since they certainly cost the system if they go to the ER for their medical care. )
Not necessarily, I've never taken advantage of insurance and I have always had it available to me. Hence, I am included in that uninsured number. 40% of the uninsured are 18-34, 20% are immigrants, 26% are eligible for pubic aid and do not use it, 20% have income over $75K.

FactCheck.org : The ‘Real’ Uninsured

Old 03-23-2013, 08:47 PM

And then there is this.

Who Are The Uninsured? The Feds Parse The Numbers – Capsules - The KHN Blog

Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:

Number of people without health insurance in U.S. climbs - Sep. 13, 2011
You can't really make that assumption, though. I'm not saying there aren't flaws in the system, but forcing people to buy ins and setting things up so that costs will rise all over the place is absolutely not the answer. I would rather have single payer than this monstrosity, as at least that would address the real issue.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Not necessarily, I've never taken advantage of insurance and I have always had it available to me. Hence, I am included in that uninsured number. 40% of the uninsured are 18-34, 20% are immigrants, 26% are eligible for pubic aid and do not use it, 20% have income over $75K.

FactCheck.org : The ‘Real’ Uninsured
Well then I assume you're wealthy and can pay the costs of a catastrophic illness or accident.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
You can't really make that assumption, though. I'm not saying there aren't flaws in the system, but forcing people to buy ins and setting things up so that costs will rise all over the place is absolutely not the answer. I would rather have single payer than this monstrosity, as at least that would address the real issue.
Well someone just posted some stats on who is uninsured. Someone without insurance, unless they are wealthy, will simply put the burden of their healthcare costs on other people, if they become catastrophically sick or have an accident. They are getting away without paying their fair share. If they can't afford premiums, the government will help them.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:57 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Wow you're bossy. I was replying to someone else who brought up a valid point. You don't run this thread.

Also, this will help the small-business owner because they are probably one of the middle class.

$166K is not a low income anywhere in the U.S. including NYC. It might not be a high income there, but don't tell me it's low when people survive in NYC who are waiters and fast-food workers.
I'm not being bossy. ?? Just tired of hearing the same spiel over and over that liberals think they have the right to tell people how to spend their money.

What I have been saying repeatedly is that this WILL NOT help small business owners BECAUSE they are middle class and their businesses are their livelihood. It will make much less of a difference for large corporations that already provide health ins, it may not impact them at all, but for the "little guy" like the majority of the US, this will be detrimental, both b/c of the impact on business and the impact the business changes will have on the employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies