Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,793,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Not true. A Spaniard IS a "Hispanic" in the US.
No, they are just white Europeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,230,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's more than just a loose term though -- check the "hispanic" box and you qualify for affirmative action and different college admission standards, you're given preference in hiring -- even if you are blond and blue-eyed. There are many scholarships and grants that are given only to hispanics.
Indeed. My daughter would fall into the latter category that you describe: She is tall, blond, has blue eyes, and not a drop of non-white blood in her. Yet, she can check "hispanic" because she has a passport and birth certificate from a Latin American country. Thus, nobody can argue with her that she is not hispanic in regards to such "check boxes."

Old 03-26-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Indeed. My daughter would fall into the latter category that you describe: She is tall, blond, has blue eyes, and not a drop of non-white blood in her. Yet, she can check "hispanic" because she has a passport and birth certificate from a Latin American country. Thus, nobody can argue with her that she is not hispanic in regards to such "check boxes."
If she is a part of that ethnic group as you claim, then she could also check the 'hispanic' box if she was 100% black.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 AM

63,241 posts, read 29,351,118 times
Quote:
You are confusing race with nationality and culture. I have already explained in here over and over what the difference is between the three. One can check any box they want to but that doesn't mean that it is accurate.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You are confusing race with nationality and culture. I have already explained in here over and over what the difference is between the three. One can check any box they want to but that doesn't mean that it is accurate.
He thinks if you were born in south america, even if your parents were only vacationing, or temorarily stationed there, then you are hispanic.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-26-2013 at 09:05 AM..

Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, I am actually not confusing it at all. I am simply commenting that such labels are outdated and irrelevant in this modern world. As you said, anyone can check whatever box they want. However, in the case of my daughter, one cannot argue that she checked the box incorrectly because she is - ON PAPER - as hispanic as anyone else who was born in Latin America. There is no "hispanic" test...

I am quite aware that "hispanic" refers to a culture and that simply being born in a Latin American country does not make you culturally so. Correct?

In order to be hispanic, you need to grow up "hispanic."

I have a few questions:

1.) Small children born into hispanic cultures have not been raised 'hispanic" any more or less than my daughter at a young age. Are they hispanic and my daughter isn't? Why? What makes one hispanic and the other not?

2.) When, exactly, can small children correctly apply the label "hispanic" to themselves? Is there is certain time period for which they must have been immersed in "hispanic" culture? How long is that?

3.) Can expats who spend the same amount of time immersed in "hispanic" culture then also apply that label?

4.) Children born to hispanic parents who leave Latin America to live elsewhere can retain the label "hispanic." My daughter loses it. Why?

5.) What, exactly, is hispanic culture? What common cultural characteristic universally applies to, say, the Surinamese, the Peruvians, and the Nicaraguans?

Last edited by Fuselage; 03-26-2013 at 09:10 AM..

Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He thinks if you were born in south america, even if your parents were only vacationing, or temorarily stationed there, then are hispanic.
Actually, I don't think that.

What if your parents are immigrants to that nation? Are you, then, hispanic?

Old 03-26-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Actually, I don't think that.
Sure sounds like it. You said your daughter was born in S.America while you were temporarily stationed there, and because of that she qualifies as Hispanic.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sure sounds like it. You said your daughter was born in S.America while you were temporarily stationed there, and because of that she qualifies as Hispanic.
If it sound like it, then you are misunderstanding me.

I have never been stationed in South America.

I was an immigrant in a Central American nation and spent a significant time of my life there.

I do NOT think that my daughter is "hispanic" - that would be preposterous. I am saying that she can use that label on official documents because the label is elusive and anything but clearly defined. It is, as you know, also used very incorrectly - along with the "latino" label.

No, I simply would like to know what makes a person "hispanic."

See the questions above that I posted to Old Glory.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
If it sound like it, then you are misunderstanding me.

I have never been stationed in South America.

I was an immigrant in a Central American nation and spend a significant time of my life there.
An immigrant? Did you apply for citizenship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies