Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:55 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Can you go in with your girlfriend?
Yes. And if a hot looking straight guy doesn't want to be picked up on, it wouldn't be a good idea to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
Of course straight people can go to straight bars.

Back in the late 70s I lived in Allentown, PA. My roommate (a gay man) and I would frequent The Stonewall. We went at least 3 nights a week. We could dance with abandon until the wee hours. There was nothing like it that I have experienced before or since. There was such freedom! As a straight woman, there were many times that I wanted no attention from males that were interested in their latest hook up. I just wanted to dance! The workout was phenomenal!

Never once was I approached by a gay woman. It was as though they instinctively knew that I was straight. Either that or they knew that since I was there with Scott.... and then they knew.

In this setting, I have never seen a more accepting, nonjudgmental group.

Try it with open eyes and an open heart. Could be the most fun you ever had.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
LOL. Try being a skinny hairless gay man in a bear bar, or a man over 35 in a twink bar, or going to a bar in LA and not having a perfect body, etc. etc. etc.
True, I guess every group has its judgments! But I was mostly referring to people judging you for being gay, which hopefully doesn't happen in a gay bar.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Why the hell would you want to go to a gay bar if you're straight? I'll settle for a regular bar.
As I said before, why not? Unless your SOLE purpose for going to a bar is to get laid (which it is for some people), there's no reason to avoid the gay bars... actually, if you're a straight man your odds might even be better there.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It proves that you're with it, that you're tolerant. A woman I used to work with is straight and would go with her lesbian friends and then she would out anyone from work that she happened to see there.
Sounds like your old co-worker was a b----, so please don't judge us all (straight women) based on her! The majority of gay clubs I've been to were male-dominant, and I certainly didn't go to prove anything about my "tolerance." About half of my friends, especially when I was living in SF, are gay... and since I'm not much of a bar person myself, I let them choose where we go. Simple as that, and here in the Bay Area there's no need to prove tolerance - it's just assumed.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:26 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What are the ground rules?

Just curious.
Of course they can. Used to go to one in Seattle all the time. Good music if you just want to dance and have a blast.

Only one time did a gay girl insult me, the rest of them, they leave you alone.

Just go and have fun and stop worrying about it.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:28 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I wouldn't have to dress in drag or anything?

This is stereotyping. To really blow your mind, I worked in a "straight" bar, if you want to call it that. We had many theme nights and one of them was "Drag Night" but it wasn't what one would call a "gay" bar. It was a bar. We welcomed everyone. Same with gay bars.

Is this your first time going to a bar?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:29 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,768,111 times
Default Most gays I know look and talk straight

so who would know? Unless you ignore a pass.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:56 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
I've been a few times with friends. Really, it's no big deal, just like any other bar/club. I guess at first there is the curiosity factor, you're likely to see some same-sex making out.etc, and if you're a man there's a fairly good chance you'll get hit on. For me it was just a slap on the ass, which I really didn't mind, but other than that I haven't been approached or given any more attention than in a straight place.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've been a few times with friends. Really, it's no big deal, just like any other bar/club. I guess at first there is the curiosity factor, you're likely to see some same-sex making out.etc, and if you're a man there's a fairly good chance you'll get hit on. For me it was just a slap on the ass, which I really didn't mind, but other than that I haven't been approached or given any more attention than in a straight place.
Meh, I don't know about that.
I have a gay friend in Racine, and if we go to a LGBT nightclub together, neither of us get hit upon. I would suppose if a person becomes a regular and frequents a nightclub and if conversations begin with the bar tender, bartenders are pretty good gatherers of 411, and sometimes the 411 is passed onto other patrons. Once people find out your status, like if you're gay, str8, single, married, or whatever, getting hit on might happen.

I went to a halloween party at a LGBT club and I got a pinch on my bottom, I turned around and received a smile. It's all harmless fun, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies