Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:20 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The point is that most Americans do not tease immigrants in a cruel way because they speak broken English. You're grasping at straws and making excuses for them now. I already explained in here numerous times why it is important to learn English. You want me to explain it yet again? Opening a business to make money for oneself does not equate to assimilation into our society any more than just taking a job in America equates to assimilation. Assimilation is about language and cultural acquisition and adoption not earning money in this country.

Is this what you call diversity in our country today? Look at how many more from Mexico and Latino countries way outnumber any others by far in both our legal and illegal immigration population.

Top 10 legal and illegal immigrant nationalities in the U.S. - OhMyGov News
They don't? Please tell me how much experience you have dealing with immigrants. I'm a third generation Filipino American and my wife is Mexican. I witnessed teasing and harassing many many many times growing up. You saying it doesn't happen is simply not true. In fact, this thread is proof of it. People are mad that some guy doesn't speak English after living here for 20+ years.

Diversity? So it was ok when Europeans were coming in droves but now that a different nationality and culture is coming it's all of a sudden a problem? Please explain.

Who's to say the guy hasn't assimilated? He's lived here for the majority of his life. He runs a business and probably does American things that aren't done in his home country. Because he doesn't speak English it's a problem?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
They don't? Please tell me how much experience you have dealing with immigrants. I'm a third generation Filipino American and my wife is Mexican. I witnessed teasing and harassing many many many times growing up. You saying it doesn't happen is simply not true. In fact, this thread is proof of it. People are mad that some guy doesn't speak English after living here for 20+ years.

Diversity? So it was ok when Europeans were coming in droves but now that a different nationality and culture is coming it's all of a sudden a problem? Please explain.

Who's to say the guy hasn't assimilated? He's lived here for the majority of his life. He runs a business and probably does American things that aren't done in his home country. Because he doesn't speak English it's a problem?
I didn't say that some Americans won't tease an immigrant for their broken English. I said most don't. Reading comprehension, much?

No one in here teased this guy over his broken English because he apparently lacked any English skills at all after 26 years and that is the point!

Europeans were from many cultures and many countries. They didn't even speak the same languages so how can you compare the mostly one ethnic group that is coming here in droves today to them?? We hadn't formed our own unique culture back then until assimilaltion occured between the various groups and we made English our "national" language among other cultural adopted traits. Out of many, ONE! The huge number of "imigrants" coming today are culturally similiar and they nearly all speak Spanish. That leads to colonization not assimilation and isn't diversity.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:46 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
So, there was an update to this story.......

Winner of $338 Million Powerball Jackpot Charged With Sexually Assaulting Child

Quote:
A New Jersey man who hit the Powerball jackpot in 2013 now faces a child sexual assault charge.

Pedro Quezada became a millionaire overnight when he purchased a lottery ticket worth $338 million.

But on Wednesday, the 49-year-old Dominican immigrant was charged with two counts of first-degree aggravated sexual assault, two counts of second-degree sexual assault and one count of second-degree endangering the welfare of a child
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies