Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

In several Islamic countries including Iran, prostitution is in essence legal. It is done thru a temporary marriage that can range from only minutes to 99 years.

Married for a Minute | Mother Jones

I wonder how proponents of "marriage equality" would feel about this? The push for "marriage equality" would seem to stem from a broader principle that government has no business telling the consenting adults with whom they can choose to be intimate. And I agree with that broader principle.

But strangely, proponents seem to reject it. They insist that "marriage equality" does not extend to polygamy, temporary "marriage," or anything other than a union between homosexuals. WTF? The problem is that if you have broad principles, you can't have double standards.

In truth the last thing the left wants is equality. Unless it has an asterisk with the notation made famous by Orwell: "some pigs are more equal than others."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,603 times
Are you suggesting that marriage is for life? Most conservatives that I know are on their 2nd or 3rd marriage.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
I dont have a problem with prostitution. I don't understand why you can't sell something that you can give away for free or a third party can pay you to do.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Are you suggesting that marriage is for life? Most conservatives that I know are on their 2nd or 3rd marriage.
No I'm suggesting that prostitution should be legal. Here in the Seattle area where I live, it's 100% lib controlled, yet the war on prostitution is a cottage industry for local authorites. SPD even took over and operated a massage joint a couple years ago. After busting the people who ran it, they busted customers who showed up.
The Blotter | Cops take over massage parlor, arrest six customers | Seattle Times Newspaper

And I'm suggesting that many liberals are full of hypocrisy when it comes to this issue. It's just an accident of history that liberals and gays ended up as political allies. With a few different twists and turns of history, it's not difficult to imagine liberals crusading against gays, the way they have against smokers, gun owners, and drinkers of sugary drinks.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:56 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Marriage equality could encompass any number of things. Hell what if three girls and two guys are all in love together? They should be allowed to all marry. Why shouldn't they? They are after all in love.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
I'd love to see the statistical data on that.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
In several Islamic countries including Iran, prostitution is in essence legal.
It's a technicality only the rich can afford. A stupid technicality showing you that even 'traditional' Muslim countries are not that serious about what they preach.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
It's a technicality only the rich can afford. A stupid technicality showing you that even 'traditional' Muslim countries are not that serious about what they preach.
Did you read the link? One of the 'johns' was a taxi driver. But even if you were right I don't see how it alters the argument. It's a red herring.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:48 PM

491 posts, read 373,212 times
I just want to meet Russian women for free like the ad says.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:50 PM

491 posts, read 373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
No I'm suggesting that prostitution should be legal. Here in the Seattle area where I live, it's 100% lib controlled, yet the war on prostitution is a cottage industry for local authorites. SPD even took over and operated a massage joint a couple years ago. After busting the people who ran it, they busted customers who showed up.
The Blotter | Cops take over massage parlor, arrest six customers | Seattle Times Newspaper

And I'm suggesting that many liberals are full of hypocrisy when it comes to this issue. It's just an accident of history that liberals and gays ended up as political allies. With a few different twists and turns of history, it's not difficult to imagine liberals crusading against gays, the way they have against smokers, gun owners, and drinkers of sugary drinks.
Seems like Seattle had a particular serial killer a few years back who conducted a war on prostitution. Just "cleaning the streets".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies