Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:34 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
It was once ago you genius! Do you ever wonder why a minimum wage was instituted and has risen to its present levels. When the minimum wage was zero, employers could and DID pay workers in food, company product, or IOU's. It was a travesty, it was bestial, it was deemed unAmerican. Do you really imagine that you are the only person with a brain?? Smarter people than you saw the human wreckage that results when you emplace no protections on the populace from the greed of the well positioned in society! Maybe the minimum wage should be zero in your fevered imaginings, but it is not ever likely to return to anywhere close to that so... get over it. Instead of telling us how things should be, you might try telling us WHY. Bet you won't. Because written out, your conservative arguments don't even pass the smell test to yourselves. So you keep the justification to yourselves and argue the point anyway, without the support of informed argument. That works so well that it has to be helped by the pouring of billions of dollars into the legal system. I am certain that the amount of Conservative money that has been spent to argue against social protections for workers, if it were instead used to voluntarily pay above minimum wage salaries, there would still be enough money left to post a handsome profit.

H
wow...I guess you reading capibility is only one sentence

I said the FEDERAL min wage should be zero...that the STATES and LOCAL governments should set their min wages

there is no reason for a FEDERAL min wage..

sorry but one size does not fit all....when will the fascist liberals understand that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 11:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
hmmm

the bottom 25% OF EARNERS (yet yu say if they have employment at all).....you sure are some genius

wont be able to retire ???

bottom 25% (those earning under 25k) (median household income USA wide is 55k) aged 40 (1973 birth year) will collect 3k a month in 2040 upon retirement at age 67
Yes, and throw in the 401K, and downsize the 4 br house for a nice condo in tax free Florida, and they'll be just fine

Old 03-27-2013, 11:35 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
hmmm

the bottom 25% OF EARNERS (yet yu say if they have employment at all).....you sure are some genius

wont be able to retire ???

bottom 25% (those earning under 25k) (median household income USA wide is 55k) aged 40 (1973 birth year) will collect 3k a month in 2040 upon retirement at age 67
I didn't say the bottom 25% I said the 25% above them! And I mean it. In fact, I know personally people in even higher economic brackets than that that have decided to remain in the workforce a while longer. And is not this entire thread about the complete lack of income mobility and the premise that the income strata that you are born in is likely the one you will die in? You can disagree, but don't do it with me, take your argument up with the source of my opinion.

H

Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, you argue that 100-16 does not equal 84

What number do you get?

What is the sum of room #3 + room #9?

One horse sawed in half equals how many one half pony rides?

1 marble ,representing 1 half coconut, equals how many nights with an Inuit prostitute?

If all things have number what is the hypotenuse of an equilateral right tricycle?

You are like a thawed Neanderthal who has found a cheap ham radio, and who is now searching out the mysterious noises.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
You would be the one.
OK, so I said 100-16=84.

and your reply is: "Loss of liberty. However no loss to weary eyed, fattened pigs"

All righty then ....

Old 03-27-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
wow...I guess you reading capibility is only one sentence

I said the FEDERAL min wage should be zero...that the STATES and LOCAL governments should set their min wages

there is no reason for a FEDERAL min wage..

sorry but one size does not fit all....when will the fascist liberals understand that
NYC has the highest COL index in the U.S. and one of the lowest minimum wages. That's the kind of situation you get when STATES and LOCAL governments are left to it to manage their own affairs. Are we the UNITED States of America or are we a rag-tag collection of disparate social and economic entities that share a land mass? I'm getting weary of the "States Rights" nonsense. It is only invoked when a locality wants to be an outlier in some form or fashion and wants the carte blanche to do it. I have no doubt that if we ever completely loosed the chains and let the Conservative factions have the America they so dearly envision, that we would see Slavery return to America within a generation (~20 years).

H

Old 03-27-2013, 11:42 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I didn't say the bottom 25% I said the 25% above them! And I mean it. In fact, I know personally people in even higher economic brackets than that that have decided to remain in the workforce a while longer. And is not this entire thread about the complete lack of income mobility and the premise that the income strata that you are born in is likely the one you will die in? You can disagree, but don't do it with me, take your argument up with the source of my opinion.

H
you did say the """bottom 25%""" AND """"the 25% above them""""

Quote:
The bottom 25% of the Middle Class are not doing well by any objective measure. The 25% above them will never be able to retire, if in fact, they have employment at all.

FACT the BOTTOM 25% of EARNERS still work......(yet YOU say """"if in fact, they have employment at all.""" )

fact the 25%-50% (""""the 25% above them"""") work...........(yet YOU say """"if in fact, they have employment at all.""" )

fact ALL workers (ones working ON THE BOOKS) pay into SS

fact nearly all employers offer a 401k (even mcdonalds ands walmart offer 401k)

btw I wasnt debating your link...I was debating the COMMENTS that you post

Old 03-27-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
What is the sum of room #3 + room #9?

One horse sawed in half equals how many one half pony rides?

1 marble representing 1 half coconut equals how many nights with an Inuit prostitute?

If all things have number what is the hypotenuse of an equilateral right triable?

You are like a thawed Neanderthal who has found a cheap ham radio, and who is now searching out the mysterious noises.
Childish insults won't make you look better. When you lose, it is better to just walk away, as opposed to slinging mud, because it will only make you look more foolish.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:47 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Childish insults won't make you look better. When you lose, it is better to just walk away, as opposed to slinging mud, because it will only make you look more foolish.

I think I look pretty darn good. What did you say you proved again? What did you win? Who is the arbitrator?

Besides, I think I have more than you in my bag. I laid waste to all numerologists.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
you did say the """bottom 25%""" AND """"the 25% above them""""

FACT the BOTTOM 25% of EARNERS still work......(yet YOU say """"if in fact, they have employment at all.""" )

fact the 25%-50% (""""the 25% above them"""") work...........(yet YOU say """"if in fact, they have employment at all.""" )

fact ALL workers (ones working ON THE BOOKS) pay into SS

fact nearly all employers offer a 401k (even mcdonalds ands walmart offer 401k)

btw I wasnt debating your link...I was debating the COMMENTS that you post
They work NOW!! How long will that last??? NOW do you get it?? Will they, in fact, have work until retirement? Even though they have work now, is it meeting their needs??? A **** poor, third rate state college tution costs the eqivalent of a MORTGAGE on a good size house. Two kids and the average middle class wage earning couple is MAXXED OUT. That's what I'm talking about. Interesting that you acknowledge that workers pay into SS. That isn't the official Conservative position. They think SS is given to people and that the money comes from the government... ... that's their argument for wanting to take it away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies