Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 02:53 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Yes and no. It doesn't help to "look" gangster. However, I've seen the reactions between how Whites are perceived and how Blacks are perceived. You have experiences from being a bouncer. I have experiences from my everyday life. I'm Black and I don't dress "gangster". It didn't keep me from being perceived as trouble.
Being from LA (Gardena, Torrance, Carson, Lomita) skin color means very little to most anyone here. I'd sooner roll up my window if a white biker was walking by, then a black man. I've lived on the main drag between the beach and Compton all of my life, and worked with no regret in some of the worst areas of S.Central and Long Beach. (one caveat was the dozen gang members running by my job shooting at rivals in the street; that was scary!) For the most part, I've seen racism disappear from this area over the last forty years.

Might be the people here are ahead of the national curve, when it comes to race relations. I guess that's why I really can't understand the new focus on it. I must live in a bubble of race neutrality.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:39 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Blacks "cry race more"? I look at it like this. Considering how covert racism has been, and considering the history of how Blacks have been treated in this nation, I could understand being more sensitive to discrimination and perceiving it more. I'm not saying that every event is discrimination. I'm saying that some people perceive it more because of history, because it has happened before. A big part of it is a lack of trust.

Whaa whaa whaa! You wanna keep crying about the past or move forward?

You weren't a slave and i wasn't a slave owner...
I know, blaming others is easy....moving forward is tough because you have to take responsibility for where you are...or aren't.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:45 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,890 times
The skin color makes it easier to brand another as "other" and discriminate against that group. It did not start until the slavery era.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:52 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
All over the world the people with the darker skin are discriminated against by the people in power who have lighter skin. This is especially true with African Americans.

Many people say the main reason black people in America are discriminated against is they have black or dark skin. Do you think this is the true reason for the discrimination and hate or is it something else.

If the real reason is something other than their physical skin color then what is it?
I am not so sure I agree with your premise. However, I must admit that there may be some validity. I have read surveys where lighter skin blacks discriminate against darker skin blacks.
Also, when I was in Korea, Koreans of lighter skin seem to look down on koreans of darker skin. It is a perception with no data I will say. Take care.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:05 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
What you think is unique is actually common. I've experienced the same think...many whites do too...we just tend not to automatically cry race!

Blacks do tend to cry race the moment they don't get their way.

Thank you for explaining the priviledge for being white in America. You cannot possible understand what any other nationality goes through in this country.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:

I know, blaming others is easy....moving forward is tough because you have to take responsibility for where you are...or aren't.
Blacks today are the product of slavery and the reconstruction era as well (I guess that you forgot about that). Unfortunately there are still some blacks that are only 3-4 generations from being there and the stories from their grandparents are still fresh in their minds.

Fine! Will you take responsilbilty for your racist brethern?

Old 04-08-2013, 07:45 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,603 times
Quote:

You're too ignorant to even debate on this subject... you have no idea what you're talking about nor have any clue about the laws that prevented blacks from doing alot of things.

I'll give you a little secret...

Back in the day it was no such thing as the "suburbs" white lived in major metropolitan areas... real estate agents use to go around and offer homes in white areas to blacks and blacks began taking those homes and whites began moving out and eventually moved into what we call the suburbs or a rural area today.

This was all done by some agents who wanted money over anything else and this caused a huge rift in income as alot of whites used real estate as a way of attaining wealth... they say this is the start of the huge wealth gap between blacks and whites...

Everyone has gotten something from the government excluding black men, black women got assistance and plenty of aid, black men got much of nothing since one of the requirements for her to get the aid was the get rid of him.

History is pretty deep, modern whites know nothing about this and thus makes it different talking to them as they mostly talk what they see of the local news station which is basically a smokescreen.

Probably the greatest thing the government did was basically wipe out much of our history and dumb things down to a level blacks have to defend themselves 24-7 from racism from others.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:50 PM

247 posts, read 354,431 times
Yes, darker skinned Black people (especially women) are often a target of ridicule and constant criticism from both blacks and whites. I feel like my life would have been easier if I had been born with a lighter complexion

Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple rage View Post
Yes, darker skinned Black people (especially women) are often a target of ridicule and constant criticism from both blacks and whites. I feel like my life would have been easier if I had been born with a lighter complexion
Why? You just need a boost

Click to view 3:02

Say it Loud, Im

Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple rage View Post

Click to view 3:02

Say it Loud, Im
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies