Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:25 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,052,296 times

Advertisements

Flashback: Remember when Democrats swore they opposed same-sex marriage? « Hot Air

Video at link.

Quote:
Re-mem-mem, re-mem-e-mem-berrrrr … Dave Weigel takes us down Memory Lane with this video clip from a time long past when Democrats insisted that they opposed same-sex marriage, and Republicans were just big ol’ worry warts for attempting to amend the US Constitution to prevent judicial activism on its behalf. When did this take place? Was it the 1950s, with Adlai Stevenson insisting that their party would hold the line? The 1960s, with Henry “Scoop” Jackson in the lead? The 1970s and Sam Nunn?

And get this quote from non other than Hillary Clinton:

" I take umbrage at anyone who might suggest that those of us who worry about amending the Constitution are less committed to the sanctity of marriage, or the fundamental bedrock principle that it exists between a man and a woman going back into the mists of history, as one of the founding foundational institutions of history and humanity and civilization, and that its primary, principle role during those millennia has been the raising and socializing of children for the society in which they are to become adults.”

So much from principles. Those that can change fundamental beliefs so easily for political reasons are frauds and the worst kind of people to have in DC. You either have principles and beliefs that you stand by and don't change for political benefit or you don't.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:30 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,255,272 times
Why do you worry so much about something that doesn't have any effect on your life, and harms no one?

These threads are getting tiresome. The country is moving towards "liberty and justice for ALL". Sorry that you don't like it.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,271,825 times
Yep, people on both sides have slowly been changing their opinions on same sex marriage. Do you honestly think this is some sort of new issue? LGBT have been fighting for equal rights for a long time.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:21 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,193,417 times
Okay, so some Democrats opposed homosexual marriage in the past. And? Last I checked, people are perfectly capable of changing their viewpoints.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:36 PM

76 posts, read 217,359 times
Quote:
"These threads are getting tiresome. The country is moving towards "liberty and justice for ALL"."
Couldn't have said it better. We as a nation are now embracing what we once thought inconceivable years ago. For instance, I tell my neighbor not to worry about pedophiles so much, or whether or not the prison system is releasing them into our area. I simply tell him to cool down and relax, because pedophilia is only a decade or two away from legalization anyway, just as homosexuality once was.

Justice for all, and it's about time!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:50 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,469,799 times
People opposed slavery at one time.

People opposed women's sufferage at one time.

People opposed inter-racial couples marrying at one time.

What happened is the nation changed their minds and progressed to a more free and equal society.

Both sides have realized they are wrong and are changing their views.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,255,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolf Kendall View Post
Couldn't have said it better. We as a nation are now embracing what we once thought inconceivable years ago. For instance, I tell my neighbor not to worry about pedophiles so much, or whether or not the prison system is releasing them into our area. I simply tell him to cool down and relax, because pedophilia is only a decade or two away from legalization anyway, just as homosexuality once was.

Justice for all, and it's about time!

How are homosexual and pedophiles similar?

Consenting adults in a relationship is not the same as raping a child who is incapable of consent.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:46 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,961,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Flashback: Remember when Democrats swore they opposed same-sex marriage? « Hot Air

Video at link.

" I take umbrage at anyone who might suggest that those of us who worry about amending the Constitution are less committed to the sanctity of marriage, or the fundamental bedrock principle that it exists between a man and a woman going back into the mists of history, as one of the founding foundational institutions of history and humanity and civilization, and that its primary, principle role during those millennia has been the raising and socializing of children for the society in which they are to become adults.”

So much from principles. Those that can change fundamental beliefs so easily for political reasons are frauds and the worst kind of people to have in DC. You either have principles and beliefs that you stand by and don't change for political benefit or you don't.
Maybe you could refresh my memory of an proposed constitutional amedment in respect to marriage. I can't fully recall of a proposed constitutional amendment " Federal Marriage Amendment"[2004]

Quote:
Marriage in the United States shall consist solely of the union of a man and a woman. Neither this Constitution, nor the constitution of any State, shall be construed to require that marriage or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon any union other than the union of a man and a woman.
The proposed amendment failed 4 times to make it of congress to go to the states.

Hiliary, Sam, and Harry were speaking to no need for a Cosntitutional amendment...by saying they were for marriage but against amending the constitution.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,287,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post

Video at link.

Times change. When Obama came out for same-sex marriage, no rational or respectable person can any longer oppose it.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:26 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,564,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why do you worry so much about something that doesn't have any effect on your life, and harms no one?

These threads are getting tiresome. The country is moving towards "liberty and justice for ALL". Sorry that you don't like it.
idiots said the same thing in Russia in 1917.

I'm 100% convinced that "people" like you will do the same thing to people like that was done to Orthodox jews then for not following your anti semtic utopia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies