Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:36 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Money can't buy happiness but pumping $80 billion a month into the economy can apparently buy artificially low inflation rates....

Another old saying: "paybacks are a bitc$".
Well, there's no doubt there's risk, but you know what? There was risk in EVERY POSSIBLE approach to getting us out of the mess were were in at the end of 2008 and so far the Fed moves have been very successful. The doom and gloom crowd have said year after year that things were going to get worse and the economy was going to collapse, the stock market crumble, the dollar tank and inflation soar - and (as I've already pointed out) NONE of it has happened and so far it doesn't look like it is GOING to happen.
Could it happen?
Possibly, but the fact is, with interest rates at record lows, there is plenty of room for interest rates to be raised (in order to tame any rising inflation) and STILL have interest rates be at pretty decent levels. In fact, in that regard the Fed has NEVER been in a better position to be able to raise interest rates if/when necessary.

Ken

Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, there's no doubt there's risk, but you know what? There was risk in EVERY POSSIBLE approach to getting us out of the mess were were in at the end of 2008 and so far the Fed moves have been very successful. The doom and gloom crowd have said year after year that things were going to get worse and the economy was going to collapse, the stock market crumble, the dollar tank and inflation soar - and (as I've already pointed out) NONE of it has happened and so far it doesn't look like it is GOING to happen.
Could it happen?
Possibly, but the fact is, with interest rates at record lows, there is plenty of room for interest rates to be raised (in order to tame any rising inflation) and STILL have interest rates be at pretty decent levels. In fact, in that regard the Fed has NEVER been in a better position to be able to raise interest rates if/when necessary.

Ken
What's 1% of $16 trillion each year...

Old 04-01-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
What's 1% of $16 trillion each year...
What's the point of your question?

Ken

Old 04-01-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
What's the point of your question?

Ken
Really? Really?

Old 04-01-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
In fact, in that regard the Fed has NEVER been in a better position to be able to raise interest rates if/when necessary.

Ken
You sure...?

Old 04-02-2013, 12:49 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Already covered that. 50,000 Americans retire every single day - that's a LOT of people. The largest generation (the Babyboomers) in US history are reaching retirement age in record numbers and leaving the workforce. What planet are you from that you don't understand that? Concern about Social Security funding when so many folks are retiring has been a topic discussed for ages now so it's not like it should be news that the labor participation rate will suffer as a result - that's the WHOLE CONCERN ABOUT FUNDING SOCIAL SECURITY. And YES I KNOW that more seniors are working longer - but even with that, those seniors still working are a TINY fraction (less than 8%) of the total number of folks reaching retirement age so clearly MOST seniors (92%) ARE retiring.

And NO I NEVER decried 4.5% unemployment rate (there you go playing lose with the facts again).

And NO inflation is NOT "out of control".
Inflation rate for 2009: -0.4%
Inflation rate for 2010: 1.6%
Inflation rate for 2011: 3.2%
Inflation rate for 2012: 2.1%

All of which is a lower cumulative inflation rate than for ANY president since JFK a half century ago.
Again, you're posting drama queen nonsense that has no relationship to reality.

Historical Inflation Rates: 1914-2013, Annual and Monthly Tables - US Inflation Calculator

Ken
Inflation is not figured the same way it has historically been figured. You can't take figures from X years ago and compare them today. The government has removed so many things from the equation that the stats are irrelevant.

Main Street is not well served with their house remaining below where it was 5 years ago but food up 30%. Yes the 30% number is just a number off the top of my head but I noticed the big Burger King promotion is for the Jr Whopper for $1.29. Just a few years ago it was .99 cents.

Ask anyone on the street if they believe things have only gone up a percent or two.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:45 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Inflation is not figured the same way it has historically been figured. You can't take figures from X years ago and compare them today. The government has removed so many things from the equation that the stats are irrelevant.

Main Street is not well served with their house remaining below where it was 5 years ago but food up 30%. Yes the 30% number is just a number off the top of my head but I noticed the big Burger King promotion is for the Jr Whopper for $1.29. Just a few years ago it was .99 cents.

Ask anyone on the street if they believe things have only gone up a percent or two.
Yep, them Dem stat manipulators are running rampant... what are we going to do with this obvious manipulation? By the way, what have they removed from the equations, I forgot?

Fannie Mae profits complicate housing-finance overhaul - The Washington Post

Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
You sure...?
Yup.
When have interest rates EVER been this low before? Starting this low gives the Fed LOTS of room to raise rates without having them be excessively high.

Ken

Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Don't blame us just because what the data says doesn't match your political/economic theories and beliefs.
The data says what the data says - and the data says gradual recovery by virtually every economic indicator:

Indicators for UNITED STATES

As I said earlier, you "doom and gloom" Obamabashers have a TERRIBLE track record in regards to predictions. When you are actually able to predict something and HAVE IT HAPPEN, THEN your opinion will be worth something. Right now, you folk's predictions are not worth squat.

Ken
Thanks again for proving my point

Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Thanks again for proving my point
The data says what the data says - and those who can't provide the data to back up their claims simply post nonsense like "Thanks again for proving my point".
If you have a point provide data to back it up.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies