Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,787,561 times

Advertisements

Would the GOP start winning more elections and have a chance at the White House in 2016 if the party decided to leave social issues to the states and focused on a limited, but tough foreign policy and fiscally responsible economic issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,579,682 times
Well, yes, I think it would. Worked pretty well for Eisenhower, after all. And Reagan, for that matter.

Are they going to? Probably not - the party is too much in thrall to the social-issues God-botherers.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:04 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,269,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Well, yes, I think it would. Worked pretty well for Eisenhower, after all. And Reagan, for that matter.

Are they going to? Probably not - the party is too much in thrall to the social-issues God-botherers.
I was going to say the same thing. And every time I think that the real loonies here on C-D, who consistently double down on the madness,* can't possibly be representative of the party as a whole -- the next day some Washington GOP politician does indeed do or say something equally stupid.

So I agree with squarian. They're too far gone, and with their particularly spectacular talent of misreading every single sign of the times around them, they will have to be dead and buried before they'll realize they were wrong.

* Following this will be dozens of posts proving the point.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:24 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,922,120 times
The GOP has always had talking points about balancing the budget. In their 100+ year history, only one Republican President has balanced the budget. So yes, they always have talking points, but the country has seen their actions dont match the talking points.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:32 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,021,248 times
Quote:

Agreed. For 36 years, they appealed to the white people's basest instincts on racial and sexual matters in order to win elections. Now that demographics have turned the other way, it's time to pay the piper. We won't have a Republican POTUS for several more Presidential cycles.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:33 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,922,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Agreed. For 36 years, they appealed to the white people's basest instincts on racial and sexual matters in order to win elections. Now that demographics have turned the other way, it's time to pay the piper. We won't have a Republican POTUS for several more Presidential cycles.
The Southern Strategy came into the limelight big time with Nixon (initiated first by Goldwater), and then the Reagan years were the peak of the Southern Strategy.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:46 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,021,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
The Southern Strategy came into the limelight big time with Nixon (initiated first by Goldwater), and then the Reagan years were the peak of the Southern Strategy.
Then when they could no longer use Blacks as the the evil "Boogie Bear", George W and Karl Rove started their demonization of gays in the 2004 election. It's great to see that their hatred/indifference of others' rights will turn against them with the new demographics of this country.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:49 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,231,035 times
Quote:

Worked for Eisenhower, but Reagan was not fiscally responsible.

And I'm not sure if they'd win, but they'd have a much better chance. Sadly they won't, which is a shame, because I think only having one viable party is a bad thing. A very bad thing.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:11 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,517,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Then when they could no longer use Blacks as the the evil "Boogie Bear", George W and Karl Rove started their demonization of gays in the 2004 election. It's great to see that their hatred/indifference of others' rights will turn against them with the new demographics of this country.
lols.

In 2004 George Bush came out in favor of gay marriage. He just wanted to call it civil union. He said this in public on several occassions.

Please note that he took this position publicly during an election. He was the first president to do so.
President Obama took the same position almost a decade later after he was safely elected.

Just proves people will believe whatever the want. Facts don't matter.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:12 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,579,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Worked for Eisenhower, but Reagan was not fiscally responsible.
Neither was Eisenhower, strictly speaking. "Fiscal responsibility" is a political slogan; like all other political slogans it exists to frame the brand. It's not anything like an actual budgetary program and never will be. But if we're talking effective new strategies for the GOP, one of the few issues on which they have any market traction is "fiscal responsibility", which some portion of the people still vaguely associate with the Republican Party.

Quote:
And I'm not sure if they'd win, but they'd have a much better chance. Sadly they won't, which is a shame, because I think only having one viable party is a bad thing. A very bad thing.
Personally, I'm excited. I can't wait for the Harvest of Crazy, a.k.a the GOP 2014 Primaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies