Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 04:27 AM

684 posts, read 1,123,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Wait... you mean to tell me that two of our most conservative regions are also the worst? And here I thought only liberals were to blame for everything that's wrong with our country and state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 04:47 AM

315 posts, read 256,625 times
If creditors take the hit, then they may never get people to invest in municipal bonds again.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 AM

78,598 posts, read 60,785,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
Surely that figure does not factor in assets? That's a straight balance sheet number - right?
I hate to break it to you but yes, that does factor in assets.

The vast majority is unfunded liabilities relating to pension and health care for public workers.

See, if you work for say....Exxon, GE or any company and they promise you a pension, each year they actually have to put money into a walled-off fund to eventually pay that cost.

If you work for the govt. they put aside....ZERO. They just pay benefits out as they come due and do not accrue for them.

Illinois has actually discussed CUTTING or greatly reducing their public pension because they are out of money and nobody wants to lend them more so something has got to give.

In short, if you are expecting a full public pension in the future....don't.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
If creditors take the hit, then they may never get people to invest in municipal bonds again.
Right, and when they can't deficit spend with borrowing....the city will have to raise taxes and slash services.

That will collapse housing prices further.

The middle class and otherwise mobile will leave the city...tax revenues will fall.

Repeat cycle.

Congratulations! You are now living in a 3rd world city.

P.S. Can Stockton change it's name to Tiajuana?

Old 04-03-2013, 01:27 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,299,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

The vast majority is unfunded liabilities relating to pension and health care for public workers.

See, if you work for say....Exxon, GE or any company and they promise you a pension, each year they actually have to put money into a walled-off fund to eventually pay that cost.

If you work for the govt. they put aside....ZERO. They just pay benefits out as they come due and do not accrue for them.

Illinois has actually discussed CUTTING or greatly reducing their public pension because they are out of money and nobody wants to lend them more so something has got to give.

Where I work the government even forces them to send us a notification on how much they put aside every year to cover pensions.

Governments are big on requiring others to do what they refuse to do themselves.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Where I work the government even forces them to send us a notification on how much they put aside every year to cover pensions.

Governments are big on requiring others to do what they refuse to do themselves.
Yep, Federal Accounting Standards. They have to accrue for not just the pensions but for any retiree medical costs.

You know why they require it? Because companies would go bankrupt and employees would lose pensions and promised healthcare etc.

Oh the irony that now the govt. employees are facing a major screwing because the govt spent too much.

I don't say that with glee...this is going to hurt my own relatives.

I blame politicians that like to give out free money and be popular while sticking IOU's in the cashbox for 20 years down the road.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:38 PM

684 posts, read 1,123,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Crikey!

Old 04-03-2013, 02:44 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,789,855 times
Lets get real here. This BK filing here is really like what happened in Cyprus.

Why? The vast majority who invest in mini bonds do it for the state and tax exempt status.

That's how the super rich manage to pay a very low percentage in overall federal taxes.

Jerry Kerry wife paid less than 10% of her income in federal taxes even after making 6 million. I am willing to be most of that income was from "safe" muni bonds many cities issue.

It's a master plan by Obama to support letting cities file for BK and screw the bond holders while protecting the pensions and health care of public employees who in turn will vote Democratic again.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post

Crikey!
Here is a really informative list....state debt as a % of GDP.

See, CA might be 120billion and change in the hole...however, their GDP is up around 1.9 trillion so their debt is shown on the chart at <7% of GDP.

So yes, it's a big number but CA is a large productive state.

Compare Spending By State for 2013 - Charts

Now if you sort by the column "state debt" you will quickly see that most of the northeastern US is in a vastly deeper hole. Massachussets, CT, NJ, VT, NH etc etc.

Massachussets has a GDP of 378Billion but a state debt of around 70Billion.

To put it another way, Imagine you have a friend that makes 190k a year and has 12k in credit card debt....and a friend that makes 38k a year and has 7k in credit card debt. Yeah, CA is in nowhere near as rough shape as Massachussetts and some of the others.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Lets get real here. This BK filing here is really like what happened in Cyprus.

Why? The vast majority who invest in mini bonds do it for the state and tax exempt status.

That's how the super rich manage to pay a very low percentage in overall federal taxes.

Jerry Kerry wife paid less than 10% of her income in federal taxes even after making 6 million. I am willing to be most of that income was from "safe" muni bonds many cities issue.

It's a master plan by Obama to support letting cities file for BK and screw the bond holders while protecting the pensions and health care of public employees who in turn will vote Democratic again.
1. Who is Jerry Kerry?

2. I think most of the super rich pay a low percentage because they hold stocks and capital gains are tax deferred and were paying a qualified dividend rate of 15%.

3. Someone making 6mil off investments and donating say 2mil to charity as an offset would only owe 15% of 4mil or 600k at least until the 2013 slightly higher rates kick in. It would be important to know if you are talking gross or net income.

4. Obama has nothing to do with a municipality in CA declaring bankruptcy.

5. Why don't you do some homework and look up who holds most muni bonds and then share the info with us rather than guess and then be outraged at the product of your uninformed guessing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies