Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:53 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times

Advertisements

So according to the loons now global warming is causing the ice to melt which in turn causes even more ice. I think I'll turn off my freezer and see if this actually works.

"Climate change is expanding Antarctica's sea ice, according to a scientific study in the journal Nature Geoscience.
The paradoxical phenomenon is thought to be caused by relatively cold plumes of fresh water derived from melting beneath the Antarctic ice shelves.
This melt water has a relatively low density, so it accumulates in the top layer of the ocean.
The cool surface waters then re-freeze more easily during Autumn and Winter."

Of course one disagrees and thinks the wind is the culprit causing all this ice. Giant fans could be the only thing to save us and counterbalance the wind to keep this ice from forming so they can continue to push their nonsense.

"Paul Holland of the British Antarctic Survey (BAS) stuck to his findings last year that a shift in winds linked to climate change was blowing ice away from the coast, allowing exposed water in some areas to freeze and make yet more ice."

BBC News - Melt may explain Antarctica's sea ice expansion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,778,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So according to the loons now global warming is causing the ice to melt which in turn causes even more ice. I think I'll turn off my freezer and see if this actually works.

"Climate change is expanding Antarctica's sea ice, according to a scientific study in the journal Nature Geoscience.
The paradoxical phenomenon is thought to be caused by relatively cold plumes of fresh water derived from melting beneath the Antarctic ice shelves.
This melt water has a relatively low density, so it accumulates in the top layer of the ocean.
The cool surface waters then re-freeze more easily during Autumn and Winter."

Of course one disagrees and thinks the wind is the culprit causing all this ice. Giant fans could be the only thing to save us and counterbalance the wind to keep this ice from forming so they can continue to push their nonsense.

"Paul Holland of the British Antarctic Survey (BAS) stuck to his findings last year that a shift in winds linked to climate change was blowing ice away from the coast, allowing exposed water in some areas to freeze and make yet more ice."

BBC News - Melt may explain Antarctica's sea ice expansion
Why did you just post an article that renders your doubt moot?

Old 04-02-2013, 01:35 PM

The article shows the absurd levels the loons will go to push their warming agenda. You see it's not the cold that causes ice its the planet warming that is causing more ice. I guess you can't see how ridiculous it all really is. I guess that is what happens when you fall for the propaganda.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:39 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,640 times
Quote:
The article shows the absurd levels the loons will go to push their warming agenda. You see it's not the cold that causes ice its the planet warming that is causing more ice. I guess you can't see how ridiculous it all really is. I guess that is what happens when you fall for the propaganda.
I'm guessing nobody tried to cheat off your tests in science class. Thread fail.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:42 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
Just like they are trying to say that the missing heat is deep under the ocean. What morons they are. Thermodynamics doesn't work like that, but the faithful don't know this, so they will be duped.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:54 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Just like they are trying to say that the missing heat is deep under the ocean. What morons they are. Thermodynamics doesn't work like that, but the faithful don't know this, so they will be duped.
Again... another scientifically illiterate ideologue takes the baton from the OP, trying to debunk climate change.

Reverse thermoclines have hot water BELOW cold water, genius. It all depends on what outside forces/currents are acting upon it. Same thing also happens frequently in the atmosphere. Ever heard of an inversion?

Deniers are hilariously stupid.... Holocaust, 9/11, climate change, evolution... always the same ideological idiots... always the same lack of basic scientific knowledge.

Every. Single. Time.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:47 PM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Chief, I guess you've never read up on the North Atlantic Conveyor?

Water salinity has huge impacts on things up to and including global ocean currents which has direct cooling and warming impacts.

Ocean current - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read more and you will be able to make stronger arguments.

FYI if you warm up canada enough the north atlantic conveyor would shut down and Ireland would freeze.

If you can't grasp this....did you know that when it gets hot in Chicagos interior it can actually cool off the areas closer to the lake?

You are looking really really ill-informed in this thread. If you were serious about the topic you would come better prepared.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:49 PM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Water salinity impacts freezing point. Anybody that has ever seen salt put out on the highways should grasp that.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:13 PM

The climate "experts" chime right in singing their favorite tunes like clockwork. The idiocy of the warmers will stoop to no bounds. Did you turn off your freezer and see a large increase in ice inside?

Old 04-02-2013, 05:16 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Quote:
The climate "experts" chime right in singing their favorite tunes like clockwork. The idiocy of the warmers will stoop to no bounds. Did you turn off your freezer and see a large increase in ice inside?
This could be a good opportunity to examine the way in which you think regarding climate. Do you think the freezer analogy is the correct one to use? If so, why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies