Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have faith in the current American approach to North Korea?
Yes 17 43.59%
No 16 41.03%
Unsure 6 15.38%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 11:36 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,986,643 times

Advertisements

Do you have faith in the current American approach to North Korea? If you don't what would you believe America should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Children that act up typically calm down on their own after a little while. Just waiting and seeing that the child is not suicidal seems to be the right approach.

There's really not much we can do if they invade SK.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
We're playing with fire. NK could snap and invade SK or detonate another nuke. Nothing we could really do, I'm not ready for an invasion and an air campaign would just provoke them to attack SK. We really do not have any other options besides sit and wait.

The only thing differently I think Obama should do is lean more on china to influence NK. But he could be doing that, we just don't know about it.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:47 PM

Here is an article where the American approach would be different from the one now:

For starters it should shorten the current maneuvers with South Korean forces as a sign of good will. The exercise accomplished its goal: America has proved anew that it is powerful and cannot be intimidated, and that it will support South Korea in case of war.
A second step would be to agree on a common path forward with China, Russia, South Korea and Japan, then to start talks with North Korea without preconditions. And all parties have to give up the goal of trying to force North Korea to get rid of its nuclear weapons.

Because Kim and his military will never consider such a thing. Their logic is that nuclear weapons protect them from attacks. If Iraq's Saddam Hussein or Libya's Moammar Gadhafi had had them, they would still be alive today.
Only Barack Obama Can Calm Crisis Surrounding North Korea - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Old 04-06-2013, 12:11 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
The North Korean government has always been nothing but an extortion racket. Pay us or we will beat you up.

Extortion worked when there was a big cold war going on between Communism and Capitalism, and when communism was seen as the only way to escape the dictator of the day, but all that went bust in the late 80's. Chairman Mao is long gone, and the Chinese have put their own spin on capitalism that no longer includes N. Korea, just as Russian capitalism no longer includes Cuba. After all, why pay a state that has been nothing but a leech for the past 50 years any longer?

These current threats aren't directed at us as much as they are toward the Chinese. They are nothing but a ham-handed attempt to get the Chinese to bail them out, yet one more time, or the N. Koreans will screw them up economically by turning the rest of the world against them.

Kim Jung Un is nothing but a young punk who understands none of the international changes that have occurred over the past 30 years, and his generals are just as ignorant of the changes as he is. Extortion worked, once in a while, for them in the past, but now the N. Koreans are a weakling who haven't given up their bullying ways.

I expect the Chinese will sit down with them and have a Come To Jesus talk. China holds the trump cards; if they cut N. Korea off, there is nothing left for the N. Koreans except mass starvation. Jun Un knows full well that if he lights up a nuke, it's all over between him and the Chinese.

But if they don't, South Korea is sure running out of patience, and they will not avoid confrontation much longer.

In a one to one fight, my bet is on the South Koreans. Remember that they are the same people as their enemy, and know them the best of all. The South Korean military is fully capable of crushing N. Korea, especially if Jung Un is so stupid as to actually start a fight. A big starving army that lacks mobility is no army at all these days. We all saw that in Iraq.

April is the big month for the dictatorship. Kim Jung Il and Kim Il Sung both died in April, and the punk needs to show he's as powerful as his dad and grand-dad were. Whatever happens will be only a lot of smoke with very little real fire.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:49 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,945 times
♪♫ ..send in the drones, don't worry they're there..♪♫

Old 04-06-2013, 01:23 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
The Obama administration is seriously underestimating the seriousness of this. I believe a lot of Americans are to. NKs military is not o bunch of undedicated bozos like Iraqs army was. The won't surrenderin droves at the first sight of an American flag.

They have been trained and conditioned, from birth, to hate us and kill us. Obedience without question and loyalty till death. We would suffer huge casualties if they roll the DMZ, and Obama is on the campaign trail?!. Disgusting. Pray this chills out. It scares me plumb serious like.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:40 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,808 times
China is North Korea's only real ally, and presently they are distancing themselves from the NK regime. North Korea would'nt go to the john without China's approval. So no need to be scared NVplumber.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
China is North Korea's only real ally, and presently they are distancing themselves from the NK regime. North Korea would'nt go to the john without China's approval. So no need to be scared NVplumber.
Yet China was against North Korea testing its nuclear devices. After all China is not happy with a Nuclear armed North Korea.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:50 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The Obama administration is seriously underestimating the seriousness of this. I believe a lot of Americans are to. NKs military is not o bunch of undedicated bozos like Iraqs army was. The won't surrenderin droves at the first sight of an American flag.

They have been trained and conditioned, from birth, to hate us and kill us. Obedience without question and loyalty till death. We would suffer huge casualties if they roll the DMZ, and Obama is on the campaign trail?!. Disgusting. Pray this chills out. It scares me plumb serious like.
I agree with this, in part. Where it is true that NK is potentially very dangerous, they would be hesitant to act without China. I doubt China wants a war with NATO. So it comes down to how crazy the leaders of NK really are and whether they are willing to go along without China. My instinct says this is a bunch of posturing. On the other hand, NK did attack a South Korean island not long ago... so his threats might not be so idle even without China's backing. At the end of the day, the ball is in their court. The problem is that if they do anything, they start a war. SK already said they will go to war if NK attacks another island. I doubt Japan would ignore a SK attack. The only attack that might not start a war is a rocket fire (and miss) at the US. We will just shake our fist and pretend to be mad. My guess is that this is what NK is planning, and banking on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies