Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

they want to enact laws and are using emotion to do it.
Having to bury your much-loved six year old who was ripped into blood-soaked pieces by bullets creates GUT WRENCHING emotion.

They have a right to stand up and say, "Enough." And those kids had a right to see Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Why are these parents on national television "remembering" their children? They are doing for political purposes. They didn't go on 60 minutes just to say how wonderful their kids were, they want to enact laws and are using emotion to do it.
Kind of like the emotional, knee-jerk reaction that caused a few states to loosen their gun control laws post Newtown?

I'm sure you're outraged about this as well.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
So there is no need to implement internal controls on school access at all and hope some sort of national gun control law will stop the next shooting?
I don't support national gun laws. The 2nd amendment gives us the right to own guns and instructs the government to butt out.

Quote:
There is some mental case sitting in his parents basement right now planning how he will beat Adam Lanza's "score" and you don't think the kids are worth protecting? You don't want better access controls and heaven forbid ARMED adults willing to protect the children?
No, I do not think we need armed guards in 140,000 schools because there might be another mentally ill individual out there. I propose we bring all of our soldiers home and use what would only be a portion of that to address mental health in our country.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
So there is no need to implement internal controls on school access at all and hope some sort of national gun control law will stop the next shooting? There is some mental case sitting in his parents basement right now planning how he will beat Adam Lanza's "score" and you don't think the kids are worth protecting? You don't want better access controls and heaven forbid ARMED adults willing to protect the children?
Sounds like the NRA solution, anything but gun control. Maybe they can put a moat around the schools with barbed wire and 10 inch steel doors, no windows, look out towers with armed guards, it couldn't possibly be the proliferation of guns.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:25 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So pass a law that forces people with mentally unstable children to lock up their guns, and pass another law to monitor this.

However, there is a problem, you cannot expect the average parent to be a psychologist who can diagnose their child, so you will probably need to pass another law forcing psycho-analysis of every child in the country.
The mother of the Sandy Hook shooter was well aware of his mental instability.

Quote:
Friends said Adam Lanza stared down at the floor and didn't speak when his mother brought him around. They knew he'd switched schools more than once and that she'd tried home schooling him. But while she occasionally expressed concern about his future during evenings at the bar, she never complained about anything at all.

California resident Ryan Kraft told KCAL-TV in Los Angeles that when he was a teenager he lived a few doors down from the Lanza family and used to babysit Adam Lanza, then 9 or 10 years old. He said the boy "struck me as an introverted kid."

"His mom Nancy had always instructed me to keep an eye on him at all times, never turn my back or even go to the bathroom or anything like that," he said. "Which I found odd, but I really didn't ask. It wasn't any of my business. But looking back at it now, I guess there was something else going on."
Details of Newtown gunman Adam Lanza's life emerge | 7online.com

Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 PM

8,066 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Having to bury your much-loved six year old who was ripped into blood-soaked pieces by bullets creates GUT WRENCHING emotion.

They have a right to stand up and say, "Enough." And those kids had a right to see Christmas.
Sure, use that emotion supporting laws that will not do anything to stop the NEXT shooting? Why did I not see one of these emotional wrecks advocate for tighter schools security? Why is it that some sort of long term gun control policy is the "answer"? How much thought would Adam Lanza give to a "law" when his plan was death? Next mental case walks into a school with a standard 12 gauge shotgun obeying all the laws against "high capacity magazines" and guess what....

I know it is to your advantage exploiting these deaths to further your political objectives. In the meantime I urge you to consider effective ways to protect the children while you play your political games.....

Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Sounds like the NRA solution, anything but gun control. Maybe they can put a moat around the schools with barbed wire and 10 inch steel doors, no windows, look out towers with armed guards, it couldn't possibly be the proliferation of guns.
You're right. Dead children are a much better solution........

Old 04-07-2013, 08:31 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
Not one of these people mentioned the lack of security controls at the school. The answer is some sort of useless gun control law? How about preventing a homicidal mental case from walking in the front door of a target rich environment? I heard some of the parents claim 11 children escaped because the shooter had to reload; how many would have escaped if the shooter couldn't get into the building?

I believe the citizens of Newtown are responsible for the death of the children. They FAILED to protect the children. Rather than admit failure they are blaming an inanimate object.

I can't help but wonder; How does a person live without a heart, a soul, or a brain?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Explain to me why the number of gun homicides have been declining over the past 20 years while there has been a "proliferation of guns"?

Explain the coorelation of mass shooters and their use of phyciatric medication. Name ONE mass shooter that wasn't on medication.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't support national gun laws. The 2nd amendment gives us the right to own guns and instructs the government to butt out.

No, I do not think we need armed guards in 140,000 schools because there might be another mentally ill individual out there. I propose we bring all of our soldiers home and use what would only be a portion of that to address mental health in our country.
Yep. I agree totally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies