Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:23 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,693,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Never in my life have I seen a group of people so adamant yet so horribly clueless about a subject. Not even close.
The only other times I can think of were Nov. 4, 2008 and Nov. 6, 2012,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 07:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,715,233 times
The private sale from neighbor to neighbor, will never be restricted.
There is absolutely no way to enforce it. It would be that 51st law that does nothing but make criminals out of lawful citizens, that keep the constitution close to their hearts.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,358,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Kinda reminds me on what the republicans do... incessantly writing laws on the belief that one more law will win War of Drugs or the War on Terror.
That's a pretty weak attempt to deflect. So it was Republicans that made drugs illegal? Cite?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,722,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
OK then post a link to a site that sells guns online and will ship one to my door with no BGC.
Did I say there is such a site?

I could tell you right now that I am willing to sell you my personal Sig Sauer P220, and if you express interest in the offer, then we can arrange the deal, and I would not have to perform a background check for it. People selling their personal firearms are NOT required to do it. I posted the link from ATF stating that exact fact.

People who run a business selling guns DO HAVE TO have a licence and perform BGCs.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Not true in MI. If it's a handgun either a purchase permit or a current CPL is needed and face to face only. If you mailed me a handgun that I purchased we would both be breaking the law. Long guns can be mailed in the state online person to person. If it crosses state lines it has to go thru an FFL.
So is there a background check required to get a purchase permit or a current CPL?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Fine. But, we don't need an, entirely new system to accomplish that. When you want to sell a gun, privately, you and the buyer go to the local gunshop, pay the guy, he runs the check, life is good. It, surely, adds to time and cost, and dealers dont like this. There's no money in it, and time is money, so, the fee would probably need to be cost+10 or something, business is business.

This "expansion" drivel is just that. The banners WANT a new system for private sales, because it would require a national registry, thus, the current system, that works fine without one, could be superseded, and BINGO, The antis get their national registry.

Under Brady, no serial numbers are recorded, if you pass, the search is deleted. Privacy is maintained. Ohhhhj, but the gun haters don't like that. They feel, ic we own guns, our lives should be an open book to the government. I will pass, thanks.
If I am not mistaken, the BGC proposal would do just that (the bolded).

Old 04-11-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I know; I don't remember saying otherwise.
You said: "Private transactions have nothing to do with gun shows and do not apply to anyone who sells guns for any reason than to part with a private collection."

Which does sound different (like it is ok only if you are a gun collector), but if I misundertood it, then that's my bad.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Using that same logic traffic signals are useless since some people will violate the law
Do traffic signals prohibit law abiding people from exercising their Constitutional rights or engaging in perfectly legal activities? Do traffic signals punish people who have done nothing wrong due to the illegal acts of others?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,693,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Did I say there is such a site?

I could tell you right now that I am willing to sell you my personal Sig Sauer P220, and if you express interest in the offer, then we can arrange the deal, and I would not have to perform a background check for it. People selling their personal firearms are NOT required to do it. I posted the link from ATF stating that exact fact.

People who run a business selling guns DO HAVE TO have a licence and perform BGCs.
And you think a silly new law will matter?

Honey.........if I want to buy your gun and you need the money, ain't no stupid new law gonna matter.

Get serious!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Federal law prohibits an individual shipping a firearm to anyone other than a manufacturer, a federally licensed dealer, or a gunsmith. If someone does do a private sale it would be face to face. In the case of my state that means both the buyer and seller have to be licensed.
Not true (again).

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies