Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:29 AM

14,532 posts, read 11,359,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I agree with OP. It seems like more of an American trait. I can't necessarily pinpoint it to just whites, but the bond and meaning of family seems much different in the US.

I was born here, but grew up with strong European ties, and I feel like the way my family sticks together is much different than what I see with many friends. Even the bond I have with my family in Europe seems closer than many people have over here.
Things will soon change in Europe as well due to the plummeting fertility rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 AM

14,532 posts, read 11,359,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
I really admire you! You are an example of a good son and loyal person!
How do you feel about parents who send their children to boarding schools?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,250,973 times
Quote:
Attack the messenger when it hits a little close to home. Sorry charlie, I saw my parents and their siblings tend for and care my grandparents in their elder years putting their parents before themselves because they wanted to, even though it made things inconvenient for them. Me and my siblings will do the same. You can hire hospice like care to come to the house for the same price if not less than sending your parents away to the glue factory. Their is a dignity and honor in spending time with those who raised you, and allowing them to live their elder years in their homes. To each their own. I love all the excuse making here. It's just a proxy for the selfish, excuse making mindset that has permeated this nation. Again.. hang out with Asians and Indians. See how they do it. Are they somehow immune to the same issues that the weak minded here seem to be chirping about? This dependence on others in society who arent family members and the excuse making really gets old in this country!
"Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place then come down and shoot the survivors"
-Ernest Hemingway

Let's hope you never have an aging relative who needs 24/7 care. Personally? I love my parents too much to risk them dying in my house because I was too selfish to put them in a position to not have 24/7 care. You obviously want to risk your parents lives just so that you can claim to be superior to the rest of us, so go right ahead and enjoy the ego boost you got from this thread (at the expense of the health of your parents).

Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,888,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
How do you feel about parents who send their children to boarding schools?

I'm not a big fan of it. Even for those of extreme means there are plenty of exceptional schools close to home where the kid can go to learn, and then come home in the evening and be part of a normal family unit. I love my kids and already dread when they will leave the house and go away to college. I couldnt imagine shipping them away from home in grade school or high school. Then again im not Daddy Warbucks so I dont know how that .0001 operates!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,878,484 times
Quote:
Attack the messenger when it hits a little close to home. Sorry charlie, I saw my parents and their siblings tend for and care my grandparents in their elder years putting their parents before themselves because they wanted to, even though it made things inconvenient for them. Me and my siblings will do the same. You can hire hospice like care to come to the house for the same price if not less than sending your parents away to the glue factory. Their is a dignity and honor in spending time with those who raised you, and allowing them to live their elder years in their homes. To each their own. I love all the excuse making here. It's just a proxy for the selfish, excuse making mindset that has permeated this nation. Again.. hang out with Asians and Indians. See how they do it. Are they somehow immune to the same issues that the weak minded here seem to be chirping about? This dependence on others in society who arent family members and the excuse making really gets old in this country!
I'm not attacking the messenger. I'm expecting the messenger to have something more than anecdotal evidence and righteous indignation to support his claim. If you have such, I'd be interested in reading it. If not, then all this is bluster and opinion.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
"Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place then come down and shoot the survivors"
-Ernest Hemingway

Let's hope you never have an aging relative who needs 24/7 care. Personally? I love my parents too much to risk them dying in my house because I was too selfish to put them in a position to not have 24/7 care. You obviously want to risk your parents lives just so that you can claim to be superior to the rest of us, so go right ahead and enjoy the ego boost you got from this thread (at the expense of the health of your parents).

Talk about dramatic. Why so sensitive?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Talk about dramatic. Why so sensitive?
No sensitivity. You come in here gung-ho looking to get an ego boost from slamming other people on the internet. Good job sport! Do you still feel as tough as you did after your first post?

You can do whatever you want. I simply care enough about my parents to not have your point of view. Feel free to put your parents in danger if you want. No skin off my back.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
No sensitivity. You can do whatever you want. I simply care enough about my parents to not have your point of view.

Feel free to put your parents in danger if you want. No skin off my back.

Have fun shipping your parents off on someone else. Is that how you justify not having to be bothered with your parents..saying you care for them by pawning them off on someone else so as to not put them in danger? Sad...Lazy !

Old 04-11-2013, 09:55 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,878,484 times
Quote:
Have fun shipping your parents off on someone else. Is that how you justify not having to be bothered with your parents..saying you care for them by pawning them off on someone else so as to not put them in danger? Sad...Lazy !
Are you a trained medical professional of some kind? Do you have access to life saving equipment? Would the standard of care in your home be better or worse for an elderly person with a medical condition requiring constant attention and intervention? These are the questions concerned and loving children weigh when considering a nursing home for a parent.

In a perfect world, our parents would be healthy, hale and able to live with us or on their own until they drifted off in their sleep at the age of 98. Since we don't live in that world, some need to make the best choice they can for their parents health and safety. You seem to believe that they make these choices without feeling or regard. Nothing can be further from the truth.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
And you have fun putting your parents in a situation where they are separated from the doctors and nurses that will save their lives just to get the warm fuzzy feeling of "helping them". But I agree! You feeling warm and fuzzy is much more important than someone's health!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies