Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 AM

33,588 posts, read 18,202,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
August 1, 1962 - President Kennedy signs the Foreign Assistance Act of 1962 which provides "...military assistance to countries which are on the rim of the Communist world and under direct attack."

September 2, 1963 - During a TV news interview with Walter Cronkite, President Kennedy describes Diem as "out of touch with the people" and adds that South Vietnam's government might regain popular support "with changes in policy and perhaps in personnel."
Also during the interview, Kennedy comments on America's commitment to Vietnam "If we withdrew from Vietnam, the Communists would control Vietnam. Pretty soon, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Malaya, would go..."

JFK's statements and signing of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1962 put the United States on a path to fight the war in Vietnam.. JFK was assassinated but all his administration stayed on the path to support the war in Vietnam.

http://www.historyplace.com/unitedst...ndex-1961.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 09:24 AM

57,388 posts, read 26,302,134 times
If you don't like her then don't go to her movies, who cares after 50 years. Better things to to worry about and more important causes to take up.

I have to wonder if the same people who are so interested in her movies spoke out about McNamara or the other best and brightest that allowed 50,000 soldiers to die in a worthless cause, or do they just like the publicity of going after a celebrity target that did far less than our elected representatives.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,652,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Hanoi Jane can play King Richard The Lionheart for all I care. Have not viewed any film or TV show in which she appears since 1972, and never will. Some things you can forgive, but treason is not one of them.
Me neither. Won't watch any movie she plays any part in. When I was a High School senior, 1982, our Government teacher made a class assignment to watch Coming Home. My Dad was brown water Navy for 2 tours. Cat Lo, Vung Tao, 4. Corps region. I've no respect for Vain Jane, and I refused to watch the film.

Oh my! Youd'a thunk I kicked a sleeping bull in the nads. He tried to fail me, immediately, though I did ask for an alternate assignment. So Dad came down to the school, we had a conference with the teacher and the administration, I got the alternate assignment.

This was a small school, place bout an hour and a half north of the Bay. It was ate up with former hippies, the teacher was a Berserkley graduate. Oh yea, I kicked up a fuss. Lol.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 AM

68,348 posts, read 54,477,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Hanoi Jane can play King Richard The Lionheart for all I care. Have not viewed any film or TV show in which she appears since 1972, and never will. Some things you can forgive, but treason is not one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Well,I have no respect for the *****. She was a traitor. Lots of people opposed the war in Vietnam. What she did was treason and should have been treated as such.
The true traitors were those who betrayed the public trust and involved us in a meaningless, unnecessary war of choice, Johnson, McNamara, Nixon, et al.

Funny how some silly assed actress who said stupid things blinds people to the real culprits.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:49 AM

68,348 posts, read 54,477,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
August 1, 1962 - President Kennedy signs the Foreign Assistance Act of 1962 which provides "...military assistance to countries which are on the rim of the Communist world and under direct attack."

September 2, 1963 - During a TV news interview with Walter Cronkite, President Kennedy describes Diem as "out of touch with the people" and adds that South Vietnam's government might regain popular support "with changes in policy and perhaps in personnel."
Also during the interview, Kennedy comments on America's commitment to Vietnam "If we withdrew from Vietnam, the Communists would control Vietnam. Pretty soon, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Malaya, would go..."

JFK's statements and signing of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1962 put the United States on a path to fight the war in Vietnam.. JFK was assassinated but all his administration stayed on the path to support the war in Vietnam.

The History Place - Vietnam War 1961-1964

Actually, the Eisenhower administration started the flow of military advisors to South Vietnam but let's not let facts get in the way of a good whine, eh?

Old 04-23-2013, 09:57 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,207,578 times
Jane is a brilliant choice for this role, not only is she a great actress but she is also a dead ringer for Nancy, can't wait to see how she looks in the part. "Get a life" was appropriate even though she apologized, I would not have been so kind!

Old 04-23-2013, 10:04 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,896,111 times
Cannot stand her. Beside her being a traitor to America, she's a horrible actress, and just irritating to watch and listen to, won't watch this movie.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
"The moviemakers are free to choose, but it seems like it was their way of giving people like me the middle finger," says Larry Reyes, a Navy veteran and founder of the "Boycott Hanoi Jane Playing Nancy Reagan" page.

Fonda's response: "Get a life," she tells THR. "If he creates hoopla, it will cause more people to see the movie."

The article goes on to state, "Fonda was aware of potential pushback and had a portion of the script changed because it made Nancy look too mean. "I might not have always agreed with Nancy Reagan, but I admire her, and I'd never try to insert my views when playing her," says Fonda. "I tried to be who she was: a forceful, loyal, powerful first lady."
Jane Fonda on Her Nancy Reagan Role: Critics Need to 'Get a Life'

They are two, strong women who look/looked fabulous in their 70s. Seems like a good choice.
Yes, both look or looked good in the 70s but there is more to playing a part than looks. I understand Hollywood is Hollywood but to me having Fonda play the part is a slap in the face to the Reagans and to our country. We are not talking just some lib. Most of Hollywood is lib. We are talking about someone who, in my opinion is a traitor to our country.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:08 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,207,578 times
Geez haters, it's only a friggin' movie.....get a life!

Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 AM

50,398 posts, read 64,106,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Well,I have no respect for the *****. She was a traitor. Lots of people opposed the war in Vietnam. What she did was treason and should have been treated as such.
I'm not sure why I feel the need to put my 2 cents into the discussion, but there were a lot of us back in the 60s who thought the war was wrong, and it turned out we were right. I felt that I was fighting FOR our soldiers, not against them.

I am not defending what she did, which was disloyal to the country, but we all did a lot of stupid things when we were young and knew everything. It was unfortunate for her that she had the money and fame to get to Hanoi, when the rest of us just anonymously carried a sign around campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies