Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:32 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,609,037 times

Advertisements

Glad to see that Carson did the right thing for the graduates, who deserve to have their day be about them and not some stupid comparison between homosexuality and bestiality:

"Carson sent [Dean] Rothman a letter saying that he didn't want to 'distract from the celebratory nature of the day. Given all the national media surrounding my statements as to my belief in traditional marriage, I believe it would be in the best interest of the students for me to voluntarily withdraw as your commencement speaker this year,' he wrote in the letter to Rothman, which the dean shared with the Hopkins community."

Read more: Ben Carson steps down as Hopkins commencement speaker - baltimoresun.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 12:34 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Bye. They won't miss him.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:48 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Did you realize that he's black?

Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Glad to see that Carson did the right thing for the graduates, who deserve to have their day be about them and not some stupid comparison between homosexuality and bestiality:
Lol. You can always tell how fearful libs are by the silliness of their posts. Carson scares the hell out of you people.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:08 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,609,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Lol. You can always tell how fearful libs are by the silliness of their posts. Carson scares the hell out of you people.
What? Me saying that Carson did something commendable by putting the graduates first is somehow me implicitly acknowledging that Carson scares the hell out of me because of my liberal beliefs?

Good god, you are seriously brainwashed. Carson did something praiseworthy by putting the grads first. Not everyone involved in politics would have done that. It was a compliment to him as a person.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Did you realize that he's black?
Fine. Go tell 'em to get another black speaker then since that's important to you apparently.

Hopkins isn't my Alma Mater..I don't give a damn who they invite.
Quote:
Carson doesn't scare anyone. He's just another conservative physician. There are thousands of 'em.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:30 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
What? Me saying that Carson did something commendable by putting the graduates first is somehow me implicitly acknowledging that Carson scares the hell out of me because of my liberal beliefs?

Good god, you are seriously brainwashed. Carson did something praiseworthy by putting the grads first. Not everyone involved in politics would have done that. It was a compliment to him as a person.
Other than embarrassing Barack Obama by giving a fact filled speech outlining Obama's failures right in front of his face how is Carson involved in politics?

Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:

Carson is a rightwing buffoon who compared homosexuality to bestiality.

He plays well with the FOX crowd, but graduates of an esteemed academic institution?

Um....not so much.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:43 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yes they will. There are NOT enough black men with real class in their lives.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:55 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Yes they will. There are NOT enough black men with real class in their lives.
Well, I'm not sure if we should be giving a person credit for making homophobic remarks, with no scientific standing, in the first place.

I happen to be a JHU alum and I'm more disappointed than angry in the whole thing of events. I really wish that Dr. Carson didn't say those things. He has a done a lot for people and the school. But if he makes people feel uncomfortable, unwelcome, or marginalized with that sort of sentiment, I concur that it's not a good idea to have him speak at Commencement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies