Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is america over medicated?
yes 24 96.00%
no 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:43 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,512,471 times

Advertisements

More young adults on cholesterol drugs - Yahoo! News (broken link)

I know this article does really have that much to do with what I'm asking. But it just got me thinking of how many people are on some type of drug to control some type of problem. We have stuff for cholesterol, ADHD, Emotional disorders, blood pressure, etc,etc. And while I agree that some preventive medicines are good and that some people need some of these medicines. I'm also inclined to think that America is over medicating. And that may lead to some more serious health problems for our people in the future. Of course I take into consideration that currently most Americans treat there body like crap and this leads to complications of all sort. But still I think medicines in general are being over done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 09:49 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,565,866 times
We get our fair share of antibiotics, if we like them or not. Ick. Even wrose, scary!
On the converse is a great irony. We are bad at making actual pharms. available to people at an affordable rate, yet we pioneer those very drugs for the rest of the world.
I think the Ritalins, Cholesterol drugs, et. cetera are oftentimes overused.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
More young adults on cholesterol drugs - Yahoo! News (broken link)

I know this article does really have that much to do with what I'm asking. But it just got me thinking of how many people are on some type of drug to control some type of problem. We have stuff for cholesterol, ADHD, Emotional disorders, blood pressure, etc,etc. And while I agree that some preventive medicines are good and that some people need some of these medicines. I'm also inclined to think that America is over medicating. And that may lead to some more serious health problems for our people in the future. Of course I take into consideration that currently most Americans treat there body like crap and this leads to complications of all sort. But still I think medicines in general are being over done.
i think sometimes people especially elderly see more than one doctor and they dont know what the other doctor is perscribing and the patient ends up with a shopping cart full of drugs.
pretty common when they check into a nursing home.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-30-2007, 09:58 PM

169 posts, read 633,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
But it just got me thinking of how many people are on some type of drug to control some type of problem. We have stuff for cholesterol, ADHD, Emotional disorders, blood pressure, etc,etc. And while I agree that some preventive medicines are good and that some people need some of these medicines. I'm also inclined to think that America is over medicating.
Absolutely!!

I can actually remember a time when advertisements for prescription drugs were not permitted on TV....

Now we've not only got doctors pushing a pill solution for every complaint, we've got pharmaceutical companies pushing PATIENTS to push their doctors into pushing pills.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:09 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,822 times
Congress and nearly all of the political figures of our country have bent over backwards for the pharmaceutical manufacturers. It's big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Every other commercial is pushing some sort of drug (depression; erectal dysfunction, overactive bladder) Gimme a break Not to mention when you go to the doctor they're trying to put you on a pill of some sort. It's sickening!

Old 10-31-2007, 12:04 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
Yes!

My wife and I are having our first child. Being young this is really our first time being exposed to how medicinal the United States is.

I really had a lot of faith in our Hospitals and Doctors... before we started talking to them! They want to drug you at all costs, we basically have told our Doctors NO to any drugs, but they still say "Keep an open mind". It is pretty sicking IMO.

This medical system we have in America is corrupt, all of it is to save money for insurance companies by not actually treating the patients and going straight to drugs.

Anyway we decided to go with a Midwife and she has promised us a natural birth plan.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:02 AM

133 posts, read 534,619 times
Definitely! I moved with my family from England to the US seven years ago, and I could not believe how much medication people took here compared to the UK. Drugs to get them well, drugs to keep them well, drugs to make them happy, drugs to put them to sleep, drugs to make them lose weight, drugs to keep eight-year-olds from acting like second graders, drugs, drugs, drugs, drugs, drugs.

In my eighteen years of life, I've been put on antibiotics once, and I think I've been to the doctor once or twice in the past five years. While everyone else has been gunged up with medication and still gotten seriously ill every winter, I have never come down with strep throat or the flu. I missed about three days of high school (all four years total) due to sickness.

I always disliked my mother for never taking me to the doctor and sending me into school with a minor cold... she rarely even bought me cough syrup! However, my immune system is obviously one of the strongest around, so I can hardly hold anything against her.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:11 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
I say hell yes we're overmedicated.

Especially kids. being High strung is suddenly a disease? gag me.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:40 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,544,451 times
I'd like to spread the blame all around.......
I work with three women and on any given day one of them are dazed and confused. Instead of trying to fix what's wrong they and the docs just use more drugs.

When I started having allergies, I went to my regular doc for my 3rd sinus infection in 5 months.
Doc: It's allergies
Me: Can we find out what I'm allergic to?
Doc: You live in Fla it's everything
Me:then what can I do?
Doc: Here's some pills.

I called an allergist on the way home...we're fixing the problem so eventually I will be off this medication.

Too many people take the easy way out....

Old 10-31-2007, 07:19 AM

169 posts, read 633,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post

Too many people take the easy way out....
Absolutely. As in so many other things, they've been seduced by the prospect of a "quick fix". Instant gratification, or at least Instant Improvement with minimal or no effort or inconvenience required.

I agree. The doctors are as much to blame as the patients and the pharmaceutical companies.

I'm not sure which is worse, though: The patient who demands the quick fix prescription, or the one who blindly obeys whenever their doctor takes the knee-jerk "take a pill" approach.

I'm not a fan of either doctors or any kind of drugs. Unless I have a confirmed infection, the only thing that passes my lips is Advil when I overtax my aging muscles or when my wonky knee bothers me in damp weather. I've had doctors tell me I "need to" take everything from HRT to cholesterol drugs, and I've always given them the same answer: NO. If they get pushy about it, I say "Thanks for your time", walk out the door (after paying their bill, which is a whole other subject) and I don't go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies