Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:50 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Can you dispute that?
http://wpcontent.answcdn.com/wikiped...nencephaly.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
At the moment of fertilization you had all the DNA you ever needed. I would say that is the definition of a person.

Unless that DNA is lacking.

http://www.jscisociety.com/articles/..._101852_u4.jpg

Old 04-13-2013, 12:00 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,037,961 times
Every abortion is a tragedy.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:00 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,399,751 times
Quote:
At the moment of fertilization you had all the DNA you ever needed. I would say that is the definition of a person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
So does your toenail clippings.
Quote:
You won't get a baby out of it.
Actually in the not too distant future, we probably could.

You don't appear to understand that an undifferentiated blastocyst has the potential to become a person, but it is not a person.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:02 AM

1,127 posts, read 904,858 times
Quote:
Actually in the not too distant future, we probably could.

You don't appear to understand that an undifferentiated blastocyst has the potential to become a person, but it is not a person.
Sperm has the potential to create life, is masturbation murder??

Old 04-13-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Sperm has the potential to create life, is masturbation murder??
Some religious zealots have thought along those lines.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:11 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,963,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Trying to understand your point here. Genetic defiencies validate abortions? I get that you are saying that not all pregnancies result in a fully functional human being. But it almost seems as though you would advocate ending those pregnancies first?

I have never really understood how the abortion issue is so divisive. There seem to be some really clear principles.

1) The forceful taking of human life is called murder.

2) Murder is wrong.

Pretty simple. I suppose it comes down to what point it is called a human life. The heartbeat? The joining of the cells? Birth?

I would be much more accepting of the morning after pill in a situation where someone made a mistake than I would a partial birth abortion, as long as the same person did not continue to make the same mistake over and over agian.. Partial birth is unacceptable. Too late, you obviously are carrying another human being that you took part in creating. Your body is on loan due to your own choices.

This issue is so polarized that niether side will give ground. It will be impossible to ever reach a consensus until people look at the issue reasonably. There has to be a certain point in the progression of life that a person is considered such. I personally think it's pretty early.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:12 AM

1,127 posts, read 904,858 times
Quote:
Some religious zealots have thought along those lines.
50% of fetuses agree with you

Old 04-13-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Trying to understand your point here. Genetic defiencies validate abortions? I get that you are saying that not all pregnancies result in a fully functional human being. But it almost seems as though you would advocate ending those pregnancies first?

I have never really understood how the abortion issue is so divisive. There seem to be some really clear principles.

2) Murder is wrong.

Pretty simple. I suppose it comes down to what point it is called a human life. The heartbeat? The joining of the cells? Birth?

I would be much more accepting of the morning after pill in a situation where someone made a mistake than I would a partial birth abortion, as long as the same person did not continue to make the same mistake over and over agian.. Partial birth is unacceptable. Too late, you obviously are carrying another human being that you took part in creating. Your body is on loan due to your own choices.

This issue is so polarized that niether side will give ground. It will be impossible to ever reach a consensus until people look at the issue reasonably. There has to be a certain point in the progression of life that a person is considered such. I personally think it's pretty early.
Only about 1000 late term abortions are performed in the US per year. Almost all of those were because of severe abnormalities where the fetus would not have lived anyway.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post

2) Murder is wrong.

My point is that some pregnancies are so genetically defective, they die within hours of birth anyway. Why does a woman need to go through the risks and costs of carrying a defective baby that will die after birth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies