Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 04:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Nothing truthful about it...just because someone says the 50's were better you assume racist stuff.
So yes you are a racist...I feel bad for you.
It doesn't bother the liberals that today so many blacks are in prison -- and so many children are growing up in poverty today, the number of food stamp recipients is sky rocketing but it's okay because liberals are running things.

The 50s didn't have the extreme gap between rich and poor that exists today and is getting wider, and the middle class was growing then, it's on the decline today but that's all fine because the liberals are in charge.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:33 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So it's better now that they're biased against them? You're all in favor of bias apparently, just the kind you favor.
Who's biased against whom? I don't get your point.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:34 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't have to assume anything. Jim Crow segregation was still the law of the land in many states during the 50s. That alone, coupled with the second-class status of women, backs what I say. I need no other evidence.
There's a difference between saying that today is better than the 1950s because women and minorities aren't treated as second-class citizens as much so now, and that the 1950s were better for white males.

Why do you assume that white males think that treating women and minorities as second-class citizens is better for these so called white males?

Old 04-15-2013, 05:45 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
There's a difference between saying that today is better than the 1950s because women and minorities aren't treated as second-class citizens as much so now, and that the 1950s were better for white males.

Why do you assume that white males think that treating women and minorities as second-class citizens is better for these so called white males?
Why do you assume that I believe that? All I am saying is that in my opinion, the only people the 50s may have been better for were white males, because they were the only group that enjoyed the full benefits of citizenship in this society.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:23 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb Exposing the obvious for all you nonthinkers out there...

The 50s were a very good decade for most Americans, primarily because the US economy was buzzing along nicely. And it did so for a very obvious reason that most seem oblivious to:

We were the only major industrialized nation not climbing out of the rubble of WWII.

The pent up demand from the war years and the great depression was being met by American manufactured products, by and large. With our huge manufacturing base retooled from war production to consumer goods, life was good, as long as you were an able-bodied white male.

If you weren't, things were at least better than the depression and you weren't being bombed or shot at, unless you were sent to Korea.

Last edited by Old Gringo; 04-15-2013 at 06:38 AM..

Old 04-15-2013, 06:59 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It doesn't bother the liberals that today so many blacks are in prison -- and so many children are growing up in poverty today, the number of food stamp recipients is sky rocketing but it's okay because liberals are running things.

The 50s didn't have the extreme gap between rich and poor that exists today and is getting wider, and the middle class was growing then, it's on the decline today but that's all fine because the liberals are in charge.
So you're for segregation? Be honest about it? Less tv, less media influence and you think controlling people like blacks should be considered since crime was lower back then?

No matter what you feel the edu ages brother and sister who are married with children feel otherwise, live good and are successful.

You're views are heavily in toned with racist nonsense from the 50s what makes you modern blacks want to all be told your rights are now gone and you're gonna live here, drink from here and do this for a living and be happy?

Old 04-15-2013, 07:45 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
Quote:
Why do you assume that I believe that? All I am saying is that in my opinion, the only people the 50s may have been better for were white males, because they were the only group that enjoyed the full benefits of citizenship in this society.
Well, your initial post said that it was a better country for white males. Which, to me, kind of implies that white males yearn for a time where women and minorities were treated as second-class citizens. I don't think that's true at all. I think I know what you're trying to say, but it still seems that white males are being all lumped in together as a monolithic block.

The fact is, that given the fact that we're all individuals with our own, complex, nuanced lives, the 1950s could have been a better... or worse... time period than now for anybody.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:49 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It is a rhetorical question. Of course it was.

Only viewed through the myopic and confused prism of modern liberalism would there even be a "debate" about this question.
Really? It was a better country for women? For minorities? For healthcare? For the ability to access information? The answer to all of these questions is a resounding 'no'! I have fond memories of my childhood in the 50s, but I would never want to go back.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:53 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
He speaks the truth.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
If I was living in the 50s, I wouldn't be alive. First - I never would have been born. My parents would not have been able to get married. Then, I would have died from cancer before my 24th birthday - a cancer that is now 90% curable.

My grandmother might still be trapped in an abusive marriage where her husband regularly cheated on her and beat her in between girlfriends. She was finally able to leave him in the 70s after more than 20 years of marriage but that wasn't an option in the early years of her marriage. Working was also not an option - she was a military wife and working just wasn't done. That was part of why she was financially teethered to my grandfather and then ended up impovershed and on welfare after the divorce.

My father would not have had as many opportunities as the child of a single teenage mother (who we later found out was a rape victim) - being born in the 50s that way was bad enough, but having to age into adulthood with that burden on his back in that time period would have been much more difficult.

In the 50s, the town I grew up in had no people of color. It wasn't by choice. Even as late as the early 90s, there were signs saying "N*****s, don't let the sun set on your back in Forsyth County". There were significantly more of those signs in the 50s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies