Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:38 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Ah, I see. There are some states (I'm not sure which at the moment) that still arrest someone even if the killing was in self-defense.

The overall impact I'm trying to leave is that killing someone is still killing someones, regardless if it's justified or not.

Though I do thank you for clarifying the terminology for me.
Yes, some states do arrest for self defense. Even prosecute, out of hand. CA is famous for it. Laws that require you to give way, retreat, warn, what have you, are responsible for this. On the other hand, there are "castle doctrine" laws that give attackers no such latitude. The first such law, was implemented, right here in NV, by then, Washoe CO DA, Mills Lane. It was labeled the "Make my day" law, by the national media. I lived, half a block away, from the incident that sparked it all.

In NV, an armed citizen may use lethal force, to stop a violent felon from fleeing. There is no requirement to give ground, or warn, an intruder in your home, or on your property, when they are there in comission of a crime, that you are armed. Criminals take their chances. Period. Other states have adopted tbis, and it has been renamed the "Castle Doctrine".

The incident that set it all off, happened in 1986, at an apartment complex on Wrondel way in Reno. A string of almost nightly smash and grab burglaries had plagued the complex for two weeks. The manager armed himself, with a Beretta 92, and caught the perpetrators , in the act. They had smashed in the door to an apartment, and were in the process of fleeing the scene with their swag. The manager ordered them to stop, they threw what was in their hands at him and tried to flee. Both were shot, both lived, but were arrested, as was the manager. Mills Lane refused to prosecute tbe manager, prompting a left wing media blitz. 60 Minutes, all the big networks, Phil Donahue, you name it, went batsπit.

Mills didn't care, and neither did we Renoites. Soon after, the Make my Day law was passed. Mills Lane was THE most popular elected official, in the state, for decades. He is ould have been governor, a Congressman or Senator, whatever he wanted. He went on to be a NV Supreme Court Justice, prefering to keep his talents in NV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 01:32 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
After years of searching you actually have one case of a home owner not shooting himself, his wayward neihbor, or his wife. The home owner didn't let their kid chew a bullet on accident or on purpose. After lots of looking, you have cherry picked a story where things worked out the way you envision it should

Too bad that for every home owner who "defends" himself, a 100 die by accident or suicide (or more).

Also too bad, the home owner was shot (no news on status). Chances are everyone would be healthier if the home owner would of not had a weapon. Unless the home owner was a target (i.e. a gang member themselves/something)
Sir, you are inaccurate. There have been dozens of recent threads about a homeowner or a gun owner using their weapon in defense and not shooting themselves or an innocent person.

In fact I challenge your statement
Quote:
Too bad that for every home owner who "defends" himself, a 100 die by accident or suicide (or more).
I believe it is a complete lie.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:41 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
After years of searching you actually have one case of a home owner not shooting himself, his wayward neihbor, or his wife. The home owner didn't let their kid chew a bullet on accident or on purpose. After lots of looking, you have cherry picked a story where things worked out the way you envision it should

Also too bad, the home owner was shot (no news on status). Chances are everyone would be healthier if the home owner would of not had a weapon. Unless the home owner was a target (i.e. a gang member themselves/something)
100 more good guys dead - Sheridan sexual assault victim fights off attacker - KPTV - FOX 12
100 more good guys dead - Brothers charged in violent Raleigh home invasion :: WRAL.com
100 more good guys dead - S.A. man shot in face kills home invader, wounds another | kens5.com San Antonio
I can keep going and sooner or later your 100:1 good guy:bad guy ratio will start to look a little suspect.

I refuse to take those odds. If you are found in my house and you are not supposed to be here, I assume the worst and the laws of MS back me up on that. I will not ask your intentions. I will not retreat. I will do everything I have to do to keep me and my family safe.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:51 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Another 2 pieces of garbage have been flushed.

At least the citizens if North Carolina won't have to pay for a trial and incarceration.

And for those who think I am cheering at the deaths of 2 people, it's not that simple. These two pieces of garbage chose to invade someone's home for whatever reason. They did so ARMED. They chose their own death. They could have chosen to stay at home, and watch tv, have a beer, and discuss the baseball season. They could have done laundry, played video games, dozens of things were available to them. They chose to commit an armed invasion of someone's home, and paid the ultimate consequence.

This was their choice. Choices have consequences, this time, the consequence was their lives.

Home invasion suspects killed in gunfight with NC homeowner | Fox News
If there were background checks, those home invaders probably would not have got their hands on guns and the entire home invasion would not have happened.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:49 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If there were background checks, those home invaders probably would not have got their hands on guns and the entire home invasion would not have happened.
Does it not occur to you that these guys could have stolen the weapons or have bought their guns from a black market or even some of their gang squad buddies?

Old 04-15-2013, 06:11 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Does it not occur to you that these guys could have stolen the weapons or have bought their guns from a black market or even some of their gang squad buddies?

Why would they buy guns from the black market? One can go to a gun show and buy a gun in broad daylight without any background check.

Quote:
The guns of Columbine were old and new. They were manufactured in three states, promoted by catalog and telemarketer, sold at small gun stores and large gun shows. But in the end, all four were sold anonymously to teenagers, no questions asked, no background checks, no purchase forms, no signatures.
The Denver Post Online - Columbine - Tragedy and Recovery

Old 04-15-2013, 07:54 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
Why would they buy guns from the black market? One can go to a gun show and buy a gun in broad daylight without any background check.]
>My point.

>Your head.

Obviously you didn't get it. The fact that their criminals means they could have gotten some guns at a gun show or they could have gotten some from their gangster buddies. They need not purchase firearms to get them.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
If the Chinese didn't play with fireworks, this wouldn't have happened.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
If you believe that, I have some money in Nigeria I need some help moving to the states. Just send me your bank account info and I'll give you a really big reward.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:34 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Why would they buy guns from the black market? One can go to a gun show and buy a gun in broad daylight without any background check.

The Denver Post Online - Columbine - Tragedy and Recovery
One can go to a gun show and buy a gun from a PRIVATE CITIZEN without a background check, just like ANY private transaction. If you buy from a licensed dealer, a background check is required.

What you are asking is that if I as a private citizen, decides to sell my old 6906 9mm at a gun show, that I should run a background check on the buyer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies