Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 10:26 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

This is hardly anything new. I can remember reading 20 years ago that Europe had become plagued by pickpockets and other petty thieves. Criminal gangs and collectivism go hand in hand. The US mafia was largely a product of prohibitionism, which was pushed by progressives like Susan B Anthony early in the 20th century. Similarly the drug gangs of the late 20th and early 21st century arose in liberal meccas like California, Chicago, NYC and Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 10:54 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Whenever the cooperative force that becomes government changes from securing rights of the people to protecting the rights of the predators, civilization is in retrograde.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:56 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Funny, I camped all over Romania a few years ago and never ran into any problems. I'm an old woman, traveling alone.
This year, I'm going to Bulgaria and the Balkans.

I don't run into any of the problems some of you seem to insist occur.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
The problem is very serious, they are a very well organized gang of thieves that funnel all the money they steal to gypsy maffia heads in Romania. The kids have to meet a daily quota and they get a beating if they fail. I think this BBC documentary covers the problem well, something has to be done.

Gypsy Child Thieves (BBC Documentary) - YouTube

Old 04-17-2013, 05:11 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Funny, I camped all over Romania a few years ago and never ran into any problems. I'm an old woman, traveling alone.

I hear you. I live in the bucolic rural suburbs of NW New Jersey and as far as I'm concerned the violence of Newark, Camden and Trenton are pretty much on another planet.

I even leave my car keys in the ignition from time to time, lol.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:29 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Correction--European cities/nations are much safer overall than the U.S., especially the right-wing hellholes in the South.
Right-wing, Southern hellholes like Chicago? Careful, your prejudice is showing.

Any proof that right-wing areas are more dangerous than areas that vote democratic? Nope, didn't think so.

P.S. by "areas" I mean places that are unified in some way, like a city, county, or metro area. Not states, which are mostly arbitrary lines in the sand.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:32 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Correction--European cities/nations are much safer overall than the U.S., especially the right-wing hellholes in the South.
How bout them left-wing hellholes in the North?

Old 04-17-2013, 05:36 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Ah yes, if it hasn't happened to you, it's nothing worse discussing right? I spent time in Roma communities in Bulgaria (including Hristo Botev, Sofia) when I was aged 15 and 16, and didn't have any problems either. But there's no denying the fact that those communities face many problems-some self-inflicted and some as a result of societal injustice.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:45 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What's a little cultural exchange between EU brothers?

Typical Lefty all for diversity until it washes up on his doorstep.

Redistribution, Gypsy style.
I had an encounter with a gypsy while sitting in the park near the Louvre. She was quite attractive. She held out a sign in English that she wanted money. I did what the tour guide told us and just ignored her. She walked away.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Europe has distrusted the gypsies since they first arrived in the late 1200's.
Lots of them immigrated here; way out here in Idaho, I saw a band who came through town regularly, twice a year, for many years. Here in the U.S., they all drive pickups and pull RV trailers instead of horses and wagons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies